4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2013 4:21 AM by MarioMari

Styles group - something is not working well?

MarioMari Level 1

Hi!

Indd CC - up to date.

Please help me to understand the styles of group activities.

Instead, a better order, the document comes to me duplicate styles with the same names, shortcuts, and parameters?

and find/change patterns also stop working because of this!

What is the practical need to create a new style at the time when it is assigned to a group?

Best Regards!

Movie: http://cl.ly/2Q1V2W3d1s2r

Indd-style-group.jpg

Indd-style-group-find.jpg

• 1. Re: Styles group - something is not working well?
          Doc Maik Level 4

IMHO, grouping is nothing more than putting styles together that are similar or belong to a certain part of the document, like styles for a TOC, styles for an index etc.

In a long list of styles, grouping also helps to hide rarely used styles in a folders, which decreases the need to scroll in the styles pane.

Btw,, don't your eyes hurt with that color settings? Light grey on black or dark grey is the worse you can do to your eyes. Almost no contrast. Adobe's programmers must have been freaky here.

• 2. Re: Styles group - something is not working well?
            MarioMari Level 1

Hi Maik.

I understand the group and really appreciate this option.

However, I do not understand why in one document can exist styles with the same names and keyboard shortcuts?

When this is useful?

Colors interface - I have a similar opinion as you.

• 3. Re: Styles group - something is not working well?
              Doc Maik Level 4

I don't think it's useful, but possible due to the group name which somehow extends the style name.

I only see a problem when those styles have different settings and you copy something from another document, where a style with the same name was applied, and that style is  replaced by the wrong of the two identically named ones.

• 4. Re: Styles group - something is not working well?
                MarioMari Level 1

So we have a similar experience.

It seems that this tool is fairly specialized and should be called "Group for CSS".

And it has little to do with the "group" of what I think. When working with a document I want to better organize your view of styles in the document I'm working on, but using the current tool "Group for CSS" I create a completely new structure.

http://indesignsecrets.com/an-interesting-use-for-style-groups.php

The problem is also in sync styles in different documents. It gets very complicated.

In the standard publishing work introduces more complications than genuinely helping the organization (by me of course).