5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2013 2:15 PM by ritelec

Uninstall all cs4 apps. except Indesign?

ritelec

Hello.

I'm running cs4 on mac osx 10.5.8

I would like to free up room on my HD.

I only use Indesign......and would like to keep past projects and create new ones.

I went to start the "uninstall" feature on one of the other apps and it looked like certain adobe things that might be needed for Indesign were listed so I cancelled.

The question is can I uninstall ALL the other apps in cs4 without it effecting past or future indesign projects???

Thank you.

Rich

• 1. Re: Uninstall all cs4 apps. except Indesign?
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You have to keep Bridge, I would strongly recommend to keep Photoshop and Acrobat too, also Illustrator if you don't have any later version of them.

• 2. Re: Uninstall all cs4 apps. except Indesign?
            ritelec Level 1

Thank you Willi,

Keeping photoshop,illustrator............would that be "incase" I wanted it down the road?

If so, could I not reinstall them from my cs4 discs?

I guess "bridge" is needed?

Acrobat ?  In apps it shows" Acrobat 9 Pro"  with no cs4 as bridge, device central, dream weaver,drive,extension manager,fireworks,flash,illustrator,media encoder,

photo shop. 

Is that the acrobat you are refering too?

Are all the apps listed above (bridge, device central, dream weaver,drive,extension manager,fireworks,flash,illustrator,media encoder,

photo shop).   OK to remove? except bridge? 

If I go to the unistall in the listed drop down, The unistall window seams to list all the apps. I guess I should not accent the boxs that you will suggest keeping.

Theres also a "adobe version cue cs4 server" box. Theres also a box for "Pixel Bender toolkit" and numerous "Supporting Components" drop down boxs...any thoughts..

Keeping my unistall button pushing finger in my pocket till I here from you.  :-)

Thank you again.

• 3. Re: Uninstall all cs4 apps. except Indesign?
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Bridge is technically necessary to use any program from CS4.

But an InDesign user will allways need to work on linked content Photoshop and Illustrator. If you don't have any newer version of those programs: KEEP THEM YOU WILL NEED THEM.

Anyone who wants to output PDF files should have and open any PDF with Adobe Acrobat Pro. Acrobat and Reader had never any CS or CC in their name. Don't delete them. No other program can show every PDF in a reliable way.

With Acrobat comes Distiller and on Windows came Live Cycle and now with newer versions also Form Central. For working with InDesign those are not so important.

If you don't make anything with the web you can delete Dream Weaver, the extension Manager needs to be installed because it manages the extensions of InDesign and other programs. Fireworkt only web designer will need, Media Encoder you will need if you want to place video files in InDesign to convert them into an acceptable format.

I don't understand why you want to delete these programs. If you don't need them, why do you buy them?

• 4. Re: Uninstall all cs4 apps. except Indesign?
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If your harddrive is that full you should buy a new, larger one, or at the very least start off loading your data. You will recover very little space removing these applications...at least no enough to make that big of a difference.

• 5. Re: Uninstall all cs4 apps. except Indesign?
                  ritelec Level 1

Thank you Willi and Bob........

Why did I buy it?............ha ha...good question.

I'm and electrician and also do all forms of construction.......I need a way to write invoices,proposals,fliers,business cards........I made a call

I forget where, it was 4 or 5 yrs back, and the gentelman said I need indesign.............which has been working out for me, I'm not sure if at the thime I could have just did indesign or if the gentleman talked me into cs4..... maybe that. I was probably thinking I could also put out my own stuff on the internet....

also, I play a bit of music so I thought I would be able to you the other apps one way ore another..... I think at the time also,,t here was a sale if you had students...which I did.

Why do I want to make rid of them...

As mentioned I do music also... the pro tools, logic, reason and plugins...well the mac pro I have has a 250g hard drive...........In the readings over the years it was mentioned not to over load the hard drive with apps over a certain percentage.......that turned into haveing 100 g of free space.

I was at about 86g of free space and thought about house cleaning to try to get it to 100....I got it to about 93 g free.....

I'm not having any issues, so I may as well keep the cs4... as Bob mentioned, how much am I really going to free up....

Thank you Willi for getting so deep in it.....

Oh my, before I fade away...........if I removed the mentioned apps, do you think I would pic up 7 g?

And again, if I decided I wanted the apps back, couldn't the discs I have put them back in.or it doesn't work that way anymore???

Thanks again guys.