9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2013 10:13 AM by Markpic

What setting should I use for YouTube?

Tommyvincent Level 1

I have a cannon HD camcorder and I shoot with Auto AVCHD SP wide. There are a half dozen options when I put my video on YouTube. I don't know what option I chose when I published my first two videos but the sharpness is better than that of my recent video. On my recent video I used Flash Video for YouTube (Wide Screen) Frame Rate 30. The other option, which perhaps I should have used, is High Definition Video for You Tube - 1920 by 1080 - Frame Rate 29.97. Many of the other options are for PAL which of course I do not use.

Please give me you thoughts on this because I intend to publish more videos on YouTube.

• 1. Re: What setting should I use for YouTube?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Much depends on which version of Premiere Elements you are using.

But if you are using a recent version of Premiere Elements, you'll want to output your movie using Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the YouTube HD option. This output file should look great when you upload to YouTube.

• 2. Re: What setting should I use for YouTube?
            whsprague Level 4

You didn't say what version of PrE you are using.

YouTube has been a "moving target".  It seems that it used to be important to get it exactly right prior to upload.  YouTube seems to have changed as we've bought better cameras and software.  Their background processing is much stronger than it used to be even a couple years ago. 

Recent wisdom includes the suggestion that you output to the highest quality you can and upload it, assuming you have the bandwidth.  YouTube's processing then gets it figured out.

I've had very good success with Publish&Share > Computer > AVCHD > MP4 H.264 1920x1080p 30

Bill

• 3. Re: What setting should I use for YouTube?
              whsprague Level 4

Steve is usually right and probably is here. 

However, when Adobe sets up the presets for YouTube in version 11 it was many months ago.  The YouTube HD Widescreen preset on my version of 11 says 24fps.  I think YouTube now plays at 30 fps, so I prefer using the setting I suggested. 

Bill

• 4. Re: What setting should I use for YouTube?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Tommyvincent,

Add on to SG's comments...

For your Premiere Elements 11 Windows...AVCHD 1920 x 1080 and YouTube Viewing...

Please consider the following for your intended video upload to YouTube....

a. If you follow SG's suggestion of Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD/YouTube Widescreen HD for your AVCHD 1920 x 1080 project, you can use it as is (1280 x 720 @ 24 progressive frames per second) or change the settings under the Advanced Button of the preset so that you get 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second). Then upload the resulting file to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

tvincent 1.jpg

You can also obtain the same, going the route Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD/ with the preset of MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080 p 25.

Both ways give AVCHD.mp4. I have been getting the same good results by either route.

or

b. Upload your Timeline directly to YouTube from Premiere Elements 11, using Publish+Share/Online/YouTube with the preset = PAL-High Definition for YouTube - 1920 x 1080.

TVincent.JPG

Premiere Elements 11 and 12, including the 2.00 GB/15 Min, 0.00 Sec limits) are the same.

You can get excellent results as SG suggested, using the preset as is for 1280 x 720. So, the decisions are up to you and what works for you.

Thanks for giving this a look.

ATR

• 5. Re: What setting should I use for YouTube?
                  whsprague Level 4

Even YouTube themselves has advice:

"Frame rates

Frame rates should match the source material. For example, content shot in 24fps should be encoded and uploaded at 24fps. Content recorded at 30fps should be uploaded at 30fps. Content shot in 720p60, should be uploaded at 720p60. Content at 1080i 60, should be deinterlaced, going from 60 interlaced fields per second to 30 progressive frames per second before uploading."

"High quality uploads for creators with enterprise quality internet connections

TypeVideo BitrateMono Audio BitrateStereo Audio Bitrate5.1 Audio Bitrate
                  1080p50,000 kbps128 kbps384 kbps512 kbps
                  720p30,000 kbps128 kbps384 kbps512 kbps
                  480p15,000 kbps128 kbps384 kbps512 kbps
                  360p5,000 kbps128 kbps384 kbps512 kbps

"

Resolutions

YouTube uses 16:9 aspect ratio players. If you are uploading a non-16:9 file, it will be processed and displayed correctly as well, with pillar boxes (black bars on the left and right) or letter boxes (black bars at the top and bottom) provided by the player. If you want to fit the player perfectly, encode at these resolutions:

• 1080p: 1920x1080
                  • 720p: 1280x720
                  • 480p: 854x480
                  • 360p: 640x360
                  • 240p: 426x240

The YouTube player automatically adds black bars so that videos are displayed correctly without cropping or stretching, no matter the size of the video or the player.

For example, the player will automatically add pillarboxing to 4:3 videos in the new 16:9 widescreen player size. If the player is re-sized (i.e. when embedded on another website), the same process takes place so that 16:9 videos are letterboxed when the player is sized to 4:3. Similarly, anamorphic videos will be automatically letterboxed when shown in either 16:9 or 4:3 sized players. The player can only do this if the native aspect ratio of the video is maintained.

• 6. Re: What setting should I use for YouTube?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Tommyvincent

For your convenience, this appears to be a link to the full version of the article on YouTube video uploading that was

excerpted into your thread.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

The full version has some additional interesting information with graphics offered by YouTube.

See what works for you. My comments are already given in post 4.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: What setting should I use for YouTube?
                      Tommyvincent Level 1

I'm using PrE11 and like it even though at first I had some problems. The information above will be really helpful to me. I printed it all out so that I'll have it when I need it.

This morning when I was still half asleep I heard on National Public Radio that someone hacked into the Adobe website. The advice I vaguely remember was to change the passwords. Did I hear right?

I used Magix before I switched to PrE. I knew nothing about video editing (still don't know too much) so I posted a question on the Magix forum. I got some courteous answers, but an answer from one of the gurus on the forum made me instantly angry. The tone of the answer was something medieval - if he could have slapped me he would have done so for being so stupid and not knowing the correct terminology. The tone on the Adobe forums is one of 100 percent helpfulness. Thanks

• 8. Re: What setting should I use for YouTube?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Tommyvincent

There is an Adobe security alert in effect which includes changing the password that goes with the Adobe ID. Here is the link to that:

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2013/10/important-customer-security-announcement.html

I changed mine last night. It took a while to figure out what was going on. I am still seeing glitches today, but hoping they disappear as the situation gets taken care of.

Although the YouTube upload recommendations were excerpted in another thread by another, I thought that you might want to see the whole original. So, I posted it, as I said for your convenience. Glad that you found it helpful.

Your threads show continuing progress which is great. No question is unimportant, if you do not have the answer for it. We try to help when we can.

ATR

• 9. Re: What setting should I use for YouTube?
                          Markpic Level 1

For a 1-->>3 minutes of video upload I might use m2t 1080p

I like using m2t 720p 60 fps.

For my larger YouTube uploads, I use the Adobe Selection of YouTube Wide Screen HD (its best).

On YouTube/ Mark SM