20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2013 1:27 PM by ssprengel

Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW

Mary Lou Frost Level 1

One of the changes that has occurred since CS6 and Elements 11 is that the slider for brightness is gone.  Does something else cover that adjustment?

e.g.  After Adjusting "whites" and "blacks," I sometimes have adjusted the brightness to shift the exposure to the right without overexposing the brightest pixels.

Can this still be done in the 2012 version?

Mary Lou

• 1. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

"Brightness" is still in Process Version 2003 & 2010 but gone (and not returning) in PV 2012. So, you'll need to learn how to adapt to the new PV 2012 controls or keep your images in PV 2010. Point in fact, Exposure is now more like the old Brightness was...it still rolls off the highlights to keep them from getting blown out. It is a bit more sensitive than the old Brightness was because it has more "bite" meaning the algorithm is stronger…so, you'll want to learn how to work Exposure, Highlights & Shadows before using Whites & Blacks.

• 2. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW
            Mary Lou Frost Level 1

Thanks, Jeff, for your input.

Mary Lou

• 3. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

Not for nothing, but generally, it's more useful if the "Correct Answer" if the actually tagged "Correct Answer" and not something other than the post indicating that the precious "Correct Answer" was actually the "Correct Answer"....(and know, I don't care about points...just a better forum).

• 4. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW
                areohbee Level 5

Consider using auto-tone as a starting point, before adjusting Exposure, Highlights, & Shadows sliders, while you're learning anyway. And note: shift-clicking the Whites and/or Blacks  will give you a good starting point for Whites and/or Blacks if you don't want to auto-tone everything, ditto for Contrast and the others too, and such can be done at any time.

auto-tone_shift-double-click.gif

To be clear: Whites & Blacks sliders, in PV2012, are NOT equivalent to setting the white-point & black-point of a "normal" levels & curves tool in other software (e.g. Photoshop, NX2, DPP, ...), despite some similarity in purpose. Thus the reason they should not be used to define dynamic range, without first due consideration to Exposure and other settings. Still, they should not be undervalued, since without Whites and Blacks sliders, PV2012 wouldn't be so great .

Cheers,

Rob

• 5. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW
                  Mary Lou Frost Level 1

I'm not sure where one double-clicks to get the auto tone sliders shown here.

Mary Lou

• 6. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW
                    areohbee Level 5

You dont' shift-double-click to get the sliders, the sliders are already there.

In ACR: double click the sliders ("handles") themselves, instead of the word labels:

(In Lightroom: double click on the words labels, as opposed to the sliders themselves, as shown above - sorry: I didn't realize there was a difference in behavior Lr vs. ACR).

_auto_tone_partial_acr.gif

eh?

R

• 7. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW
                      Mary Lou Frost Level 1

Rob, I am trying to see the window above with the words "Tone" and "Auto" at the top.

When I am in CS4, and I double-click on the handles they return to the default setting but I don't see the "gray and red" graph which you show above.

Are these controls only available in the latest ACR?

Mary Lou

• 8. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW
                        areohbee Level 5

The first gif (picture) was from Lightroom, the second was ACR.

You should see sliders with "Auto" and "Default" at the top, when you are working with the ACR plugin via Photoshop or Bridge (not "Tone" and "Auto", with a gray background, since that is Lightroom, not ACR).

Clearer?

And in my copy (ACR 8.2), clicking on the slider handle (the little "ice-berg" or "baseball home plate" (Hershey's kiss?, teardrop??) shaped doo-hickey, circled above) gives the auto-toned value (typically non-zero), not the default value (0).

R

• 9. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW
                          Mary Lou Frost Level 1

Thanks, Rob.  That cleared it up.

I now need to check the ACR in Elements 11, since I teach these students, to see where there are similarities and differences.

With the changes in ACR fo 2012, it can cause confusion when class members are running different versions.  Eventually people will get updated to the ACR for 2012.

Mary Lou

• 10. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW
                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

PSE11 can be updated to ACR 7.4, and it has the same Process Version 2012 toning sliders being shown, above; however, Adobe made tweaks to the Auto Tone function that generally works better in ACR 8.x, so for this improvement you'd need to be operating PSE12 which can be updated to ACR 8.x.

• 11. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW
                              areohbee Level 5

More specifically, the auto-tone feature was greatly improved in v8.2 (not 8.1, not 8.0) - right Steve?

• 12. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW

I am not sure in which 8.x the improvement occurred, but it is better in 8.2 that only works with PSE12+.

• 13. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW
                                  areohbee Level 5

The improvement occurred in Lightroom 5.2, not 5.0, for sure, so I've assumed the improvement in ACR came in 8.2, not 8.0 (but I never checked it in ACR and don't know for sure).

• 14. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW
                                    areohbee Level 5

I would think it best if all students are using PV2012. If you're not teaching the auto-toning stuff, then how well it works or not won't become an issue. Part of the value of it, is in seeing how it sets blacks and whites, and how the values are somewhat coordinated with the values for the other elements.

In my opinion, blacks are easier to set than whites, but even then, it's tricky for optimal toning. For example, if you want a lot of intra-shadow contrast, you want to pull left on the blacks and right on the shadows. If you want minimal intra-shadow contrast, then right on the blacks, left on the shadows. Either will give you the darks about the same darkness (depending on exposure & contrast too...).

Whites are the most trickiest, I think. - sometimes highlights slider de-brightens (left-shifts) the highlights, and whites slider (rightward) just re-brightens them, so in order to really spread out highlight tones, you need to decrease exposure (instead of, or along with, decreasing highlights) and increase whites.

Worth noting: if your whites are over-extended, then try left on the whites, but realize: you may need to increase contrast to keep from losing punch, when doing so (and before running whites into the negative, make sure you've exhausted possibilities of negative highlights, since much of the time negative highlights should be used instead of negative whites - depends of course on the photo and what you're after..). Likewise, if you're having too much intra-shadow contrast, then right on blacks, and maybe right on contrast instead of or along with leftward shadows.

(beware: how PV2012 sliders behave depends on the tonal distribution of the photo  - welcome to (image-adaptive) PV2012 ).

Put another way, exposure together with whites are the primary determiners of what I call "brightness bias", i.e. how much of the midtone brightness is right of center, and how much of the midtone brightness is left of center. Granted, highlights & shadows sliders influence this too.

And of course there's always the tone curve for fine tuning "brightness distribution".

Rob

• 15. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW
                                      Mary Lou Frost Level 1

Wow!  I'll have to print out your suggestions so I can try them on some images.  Before I can run ACR 8.2 I need to upgrade my OS!  For some reason Adobe hasn't been able to make the Mac versions of the latest software backward compatible.  They have done this more for Window OS than for Mac OS.

Tut, Tut!  There are always so many ways to spend money!  It's too bad one has to choose!

Mary Lou

• 16. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW
                                        areohbee Level 5

Mary Lou Frost wrote:

Wow!  I'll have to print out your suggestions so I can try them on some images.

Have fun. I found PV2012 tricky to learn, but very fun after getting over the hump.

Mary Lou Frost wrote:

Before I can run ACR 8.2 I need to upgrade my OS!  For some reason Adobe hasn't been able to make the Mac versions of the latest software backward compatible.  They have done this more for Window OS than for Mac OS.

Don't feel too bad - ACR 8.2 won't run on Windows Vista either - 7 only, or 8.

Cheers,

Rob

• 17. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW
                                          Mary Lou Frost Level 1

I noticed that Photoshop Elements 12 will run as far back as XP with service pack 3. Does that mean that ACR 8.0 comes with Elements 12 but it can't be upgraded?

I get students who are heading to buy Photoshop Elements and they need to consider the limitations of their OS.

Mary Lou

• 18. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW
                                            areohbee Level 5

Dunno - maybe somebody else does. sorry... .

• 19. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW

The Windows specs for PSE12 say XPSP3 is needed but also that ACR will run with limited functionality on XP, and this is likely with ACR 8.0.  I have seen others say that ACR 8.2 will not run on anything less than Windows 7, which makes sense because that is the minimum for Photoshop CC which it is made for.  I expect this means that ACR’s user-interface—the thing with the sliders—maybe not work on XP so files may open with the default settings only.

Your students can certainly download the trial version to verify what happens on their computers.

• 20. Re: Where has "Brightness" gone in Camera RAW

I was able to install the PSE12 trial on my wife's old XP-SP3 laptop and the ACR UI comes up just fine, so the limited functionality must be talking about the lack up upgrades to ACR 8.2.