4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2013 5:40 PM by IamPhaedrus

all that Media...help love it or lose it

IamPhaedrus

Premiere Elements 8: It annoy's me that every time I click on "Media" I see thumbnails of all kinds of content that I will never use in a Premiere project.  Is there a setting I'm missing that will prevent the "auto include this in the premiere 'catalogue'"?

Thanks for any help

• 1. Re: all that Media...help love it or lose it
          A.T. Romano Level 7

IamPhaedrus

How long have you been working with Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1? Just curious.

Give the following a try to see if they helps any.

Open Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 which will open to the Organize header/Media workspace. No escaping that, that I know of.

Immediately click on Organize/Project. If a new project, it will be empty. Then go to Organize Get Media if you want more files.

If not a new project, then stay in Organize/Project.

When you are in Organize/Media, you can use Filter by: to show just the media for a specific project, including the one you are in.

Keep away from Organize/Media "Show All" if that is not what you want.

You can hide and show videos and stills in the bunch with the icon just below Filter by:

Please review and then let us know the outcome. If necessary, we will think about this some more.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: all that Media...help love it or lose it
            IamPhaedrus Level 1

Thanks very much A.T

As for how long have I been using PE8..I guess since it was released. Mind you on and off...mostly offf.

I am familiar with the various filters you've suggested,  It just seemed to me odd that PE is apparently scanning my entire machine for jpgs, mp3s and video clips.

Allthough I don't think I see my entire music collection in there so i thought there might be a setting somewhere that would allow me to manage this a little more effectively.

Make sense?

I do appreciate your response.

• 3. Re: all that Media...help love it or lose it
              A.T. Romano Level 7

IamPhaedrus

Thanks for the follow up.

What you are seeing in Organize Media are just entries into the Elements Organizer 8. In that version, once you import media into a project, it is automatically included in the Elements Organizer 8...no way out of that. And, you could have imported files into the Elements Organizer 8, just for organizing purposes.

Keep in mind, if you have Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, they share an Elements Organizer 8. So, what you might be entering on the Photoshop Elements Elements Organizer side could be reflected in your Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Elements Organizer 8 sightings.

This type of Organize set up in the Editor disappears in later versions. If interested, I will take a look to see in what version that type of Organize set up was discontinued. It does not exist in at least version 11 and 12.

About music...not sure if this applies to what you wrote...but it is my recollection that, when you create a new catalog, you are given the option to have the music that comes with the program be available in the Elements Organizer catalog. If interested I will dust off my recollection on that.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions on anything that I have written.

Versions 11 and 12 (the latest release) represent a major workspace change from your Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 setup. So, if interested, please do the tryout route before any purchase to make sure the program meets your video editing needs and is compatible with your computer environment.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: all that Media...help love it or lose it
                IamPhaedrus Level 1

You got it ATR!!!

I purchased Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8 at the same time. and what you describe is exactly what must be going on.  Almost every image that I've ever opened or created in Photoshop is showing up in that "Organizer"

I can see why they discontinued this model

I'm good for now (no need for additional research).

Thanks very much