12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2013 1:48 PM by the_wine_snob

PE12: 1080p23.976 Presets for AVCHD Burn to:

A.T. Romano Level 7

I have been working my way through my Premiere Elements 12 First Look. Tonight I finally dug into Publish+Share/ and details of all its categories.

I was expecting to run right through Publish+Share/Disc/ DVD, AVCHD, Blu-ray, not expecting anything new. And there tucked away under the Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD burn to disc or folder (4.7 GB) or folder (8.5 GB) were two new NTSC presets. They are

H.264 1440 x 1080 p NTSC Dolby

and

H.264 1920 x 1080 p NTSC Dolby

There are no PAL counterparts.

These two presets use the frame rate of 23.976 progressive frames per second while all the rest 1080i use 29.97 interlaced frames per second NTSC or 25 interlaced frames per second PAL.

Premiere Elements 12 DVD and Blu-ray are as they were in version 11.

I am posting for those with new Premiere Elements 12 to alert them of their presence. I nearly missed them.

I would be interested to learn if the Premiere Elements 12 Mac users also have them. I have not seen mention of these presets in any of the reviews that I have seen so far. I will have to look into that also.

More information on request.

ATR

• 1. Re: PE12: 1080p23.976 Presets for AVCHD Burn to:
          whsprague Level 4

Interesting discovery!  But, I can't figure out when and why I would use it.  What would it be for?

• 2. Re: PE12: 1080p23.976 Presets for AVCHD Burn to:
            the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thank you for that information. Nice find.

Wonder what else will be "tucked away?" Oh wait, with your thorough investigation, I feel that you will tell us.

As I have several players, that will handle AVCHD discs, this is something that I need to investigate, along with my "first look" at PrE 12. Just got it, plus PsE 12 (time that I learned what PsE can do vs Ps). Unfortunately, I wll not be installing, or testing for a bit, due to travel scheudles. At least I have Steve Grisetti's PrE 12 book, to take on the airplane.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE12: 1080p23.976 Presets for AVCHD Burn to:
              whsprague Level 4

But what does it do that couldn't be done before? 

Bill S

PS:  Happy travels wherever you are going!

• 4. Re: PE12: 1080p23.976 Presets for AVCHD Burn to:
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I received my Photoshop Elements 12 Premiere Elements 12 back on September 30, 2013, really speedy delivery from the retailer. But, I am still working off the tryouts. Sometimes today I am going to switch over to the purchased products.

At this time I will not go into the merits of 1080p24 (23.976), but just say that it would appear

some prefer to shoot 1080p24 and want to maintain the 1080p24 workflow...this gives them a way in disc besides file saved to hard drive

some prefer 1080p24 for the "film look",

some for the frame rate for international productions.

Interestingly that Adobe went with 1080p24 for the choice of AVCHD on DVD, which is often problematic in finding a player for it.

But initial experiments suggest that the AVCHD DVD 1080p24 availability might allow for a workaround in 12 to get to the Blu-ray disc with 1080p24....first Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD burn to folder (4.7 GB or 8.5 GB) or disc. Then use ImgBurn to take the BDMV Folder from that export to Blu-ray disc for the 1920 x 1080 @ 23.976 progressive frames per second.

Note: Premiere Elements (any version) AVCHD DVD does not come with the CERTIFICATE FOLDER, only the BDMV. But ImgBurn supplies the CERTIFICATE Folder for the BDMV in its burn to. Still making comparisons of folders and files involved. But, visually it is a success in its sharpest and quality on the computer player.

More later.

ATR

• 5. Re: PE12: 1080p23.976 Presets for AVCHD Burn to:
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Hello Bill,

The 1080p 24 shooting, editing and output, is thought (by many), to contribute to a "film look," on video.

Though there is some back-n-forth, this thread has some good reference: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4650203

Worth a read, if for no other reason, that the linked "shootout."

Hope that fills in some gaps.

Hunt

PS - Heading to DC, for wife to attend a healthcare conference, and then MAYBE meet with Congress? Do not know if Tropical Storm Karen will make its way there, but some computer models have it heading right to the Tidewater area. We will see.

• 6. Re: PE12: 1080p23.976 Presets for AVCHD Burn to:
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Safe travel.

ATR

• 7. Re: PE12: 1080p23.976 Presets for AVCHD Burn to:
                      whsprague Level 4

Bill Hunt wrote:

Hello Bill,

The 1080p 24 shooting, editing and output, is thought (by many), to contribute to a "film look," on video.

Though there is some back-n-forth, this thread has some good reference: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4650203

Worth a read, if for no other reason, that the linked "shootout."

Hope that fills in some gaps.

Hunt

PS - Heading to DC, for wife to attend a healthcare conference, and then MAYBE meet with Congress? Do not know if Tropical Storm Karen will make its way there, but some computer models have it heading right to the Tidewater area. We will see.

It is interesting that we currently won't buy cameras/camcorders that won't shoot 1080p60 and that we want to output our projects at 24p.

I needed to send some video copies of a recent lecture to some friends.  I used PrE 11 to make a DVD.  For higher playback quality I also copied a  AVCHD > MP4 - H.264 1920x1080p60 file on to a DVD as a data file.  (to get the 60, you change the frame rate under the Advanced button from the p30 provided preset).  My Sony Blu-Ray player played the MP4 file without hiccup.   Reading about current capabilities of Blu-Ray players, PlayStations, etc, the need for AVCHD disks, of any setting, seems to be fading.  Most play data disks with a variety of standard file formats.

Good luck with congress!  It seems to be run now by a handfull all elected from small rural areas. 

Bill S

• 8. Re: PE12: 1080p23.976 Presets for AVCHD Burn to:
                        Markpic Level 1

I use Premiere Ele. 10 + 11

For Premiere Ele. 11, I needed to build a Quad Core PC for the Blu-ray burning.

Taking Blu-ray to DVD is less quality, its not all that great.

DVD 4.7 GB and DVD 8.5 GB are identical. Except your playback device must have the dual layer format.

Frame rates are a matter for the capture of the video camera.

This will appear as your Video Card--attempts to playback during editing.

The degraded playback--might not appear on the finsihed product.

===

I make DVD-video projects because the people I give my movies to, don't often have a Blu-ray player.

The 25-GB Blu-ray blank media is best quality.

Its beats DVD-video by a mile.

===

I maintain the same frame rates in all my projects.

Should I need to convert for some reason, I still maintain a archive library, of my original files.

Even original camera files.

===

Adobe Premiere Elements is for your home movies, its not geared higher.

Message was edited by: Markpic

• 9. Re: PE12: 1080p23.976 Presets for AVCHD Burn to:
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Markpic

In view of the topic of this thread, AVCHD format on DVD disc, I am not sure what you mean by

"Blu-ray to DVD is less quality, its not all that great".

Are you on the topic of this thread? Are you talking about

Taking a AVCHD Timeline to Blu-ray disc in Blu-ray disc format?

Taking an AVCHD Timeline to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Taking an AVCHD Timeline  to AVCHD format on a DVD disc. On Topic.

The AVCHD format on a DVD disc gives excellent high quality results. The problem can be disc capacity and in trying to find a player for it. As you know, it will not play back AVCHD DVD on the TV's DVD player.

I do not agree with you on the generalization if you are referring to other than DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc.

Adobe Premiere Elements is for your home movies, its not geared higher.

Have you seen the new project presets and export choice in Premiere Elements 12 for video beyond 1920 x 1080?

A just in case note, when we talk about AVCHD format on DVD disc we are talking about 1920 x 1080 display. When we talk about DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc, then 720 x 480 (NTSC) and 720 x 576 (PAL).

Hope that helps.

ATR

• 10. Re: PE12: 1080p23.976 Presets for AVCHD Burn to:
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Markpic,

DVD 4.7 GB and DVD 8.5 GB are identical. Except your playback device must have the dual layer format.

All players with the "DVD" logo, are certified to play DVD-9, 8.5GB discs. What none are certifed for is playing any burned disc, though most do. I have encountered a few older machines (clients' players), that would just never play a burned DVD-9, no matter what blank media, or burn speed was used. All will play commercially replicated DVD-9's (most Hollywood productions are on DVD-9's), unless the player was broken. It comes down to a "burned" DVD-Video vs commercially stamped, replicated DVD-Videos.

Hunt

• 11. Re: PE12: 1080p23.976 Presets for AVCHD Burn to:
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I suspect that Markpic was referring to the discs being the same with regard to the playback results obtained by Markpic.

Clearly the DVD 4.7 GB/120 minutes does not have the same capacity as DVD 8.5 GB/240 minutes. And, at that, the 4.7 GB in reality is 4.38 GB and the 8.5 GB in reality is 7.95 GB.

ATR

• 12. Re: PE12: 1080p23.976 Presets for AVCHD Burn to:
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

That is a possibility, but the use of the word "device," caused me to think that the reference was to DVD players.

Hunt