5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2013 3:52 PM by culch

Hardware Build for CS6 Production Premium

culch

First: Thank you for all of the information in this forum. I've done a bunch of reading and there is lots of good information about a many issues.

Second: I am looking for advice on a build for CS6 Production Premium. I don't want top of the line, but a decent midgrade setup. I've done a bunch of reading and I think that I have a reasonable system, but would appreciate some advice. The last time I built a computer was the 1990s when we still had to set DMA and IRQ channels, so I'm a bit rusty.

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower RC-1200-KKN1

Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 WS Dual LGA 2011 Intel C602

Two - Intel Xeon E5-2630 V2 Ivy Bridge 2.6GHz six core processors.

Two - Intel STS200C CPU heat sinks.

240 Pin 1600 MHz DDR 3 RAM. 16 GB adequate or 32 GB for a good balance on this system? (Don't really want to goto 64GB, but will if necessary.) Is it better to fill all 8 slots on the mother board or better to have more GB per card and run with 4 empty slots on the mother board?

Crucial M4 256GB SSD SATA boot disk CT256M4SSD2.

Six: 2 TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/S Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 hard drives in a RAID 3 configuration with five drives in service and one in standby. (The SSD plugged into the 6GB/s SATA plug and the six 2TB plugged into the C602 SATA 3GB/S plugs? Nothing plugged into the Marvell SATA plugs?

The mother board doesn't support RAID 3 and I have no RAID experience, so I'm guessing that I need a dedicated RAID controller for this? If so, is an Areca ARC-1224-8I a good fit, or is there a better choice?

Pioneer BDR-2208 blu-ray burner.

Rosewill 1300 watt 80 plus gold power supply.

Soundblaster ZxR PCIe sound card.

Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

Two - Dell UltraSharp U2413 24" LED LCD monitors.

Now the $3 question: Video card(s). Is a single GeForce GTX690 adequate to run the various applications in Production Premium? A GTX Titan? Quadro K4000? I don't really want to go to the Quadro K5000, but will if forced.

The only software on the computer will be Windows 7, Adobe CS6, and either McAfee or Norton, along with whatever drivers are needed for the systems. I'll stay away from quicktime as it seems to gum up the works according to some advisers on this forum.

Is there anything that I am missing, hardware wise or installation pointers?

Thank you for any assistance!