2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2013 9:20 AM by Peter Spier

Need help with data merge in CS6

Lori321z

I am using the data merge feature in InDesign for the first time. I am trying to create bid cards for our silent auction fundraiser. I have 2 bid cards per page. I am unable to figure out how to get the second record to go on the second bid card rather than the second page (3rd bid card). I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer!

My fields are "Item Name" and "Item #".

InDesign bid cards.jpg

• 1. Re: Need help with data merge in CS6
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Single Record or Multiple Records?

• 2. Re: Need help with data merge in CS6
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

To do N-up multiples where each instance is a different record you must set up the template with exactly one instance of your placeholders and related objects, in the upper left hand corner. I find it helpful to enclose everything in a frame the size of the finished card/label/whatever (with no stroke or fill) so that when you set up the merge you can use a spacing of 0.

Select Multiple Records per Page in the DataMerge panel, set the spacing options and margins (and you can set the bottom and right margins to 0 because ID seems incapable lately of utilizing the whole space if you set them exactly where they should be) and take a leap of faith and run the merge WITHOUT PRESSING THE PREVIEW button. Preview is known to be buggy with multiple record merges and once the template has been affected it is useless.