26 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2013 11:19 AM by A.T. Romano

Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)

nierielimladris

I have read some posts regarding this, but they have not been helpful.

I recordered audio/video with an ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T in 720p .mp4 format.

When importing into Premiere Elements 10 on a Windows 7 (64bit) PC, the audio and video are sometimes out sync when editing, and when they are rendered to the final product, they are always out of sync.

I have tried changing to other formats (.avi), as some people stated that variable frame rate issues can come up when using a non-camcorder to record video, but the .avi actually made it worse, to the point that only the audio played.

I turned my PC off and on again, and killed all background actions on the PC.  The video plays fine in Windows Media Player and VCPlayer.

If anyone has advice as to how to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated.  I've spent 7 hours on this project, and am more frustrated than ever.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What are your project settings, listed under the Edit menu in Premiere Elements?

Having the correct project settings for your video and have the latest version of Quicktime installed on your computer are vital to the program's performance.

• 2. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
            nierielimladris Level 1

General [greyed out]:

Editing Mode: DSLR

Timebase: 23.976 frames/second

Capture Format: DV

Video Rendering: Optimize Stills (only one selected)

• 3. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)

Start a new project. Make sure you select the Settings for a Flip Mino HD 1280x720. And make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime.

Also, switch over the Timeline view and make sure that any time you see a red line along the top of a timeline, you render your timeline (by pressing Enter). When you render a timeline, the red line will turn green and your video will look and play more smoothly.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                nierielimladris Level 1

These suggestions did help initially, but after about 3-4 edits of clips (shared to .mov format), the audio and video went out of sync again.

I closed the software, rebooted the computer, etc., and the issue will not go away again.

• 5. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                  Markpic Level 1

The only time I ever had out-of-sync a/v was when I failed to use the Pause Button.

And then used the slider very quickly.

Always use Pause, and then advance your editing choices.

Or, allow the video to just proceed to your editing point and use Pause.

• 6. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)

You're saying that you're rendering your timeline whenever you see red lines along the top of it (all red lines are now green) and it's STILL out of sync?

• 7. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                      nierielimladris Level 1

I'm always using pause.

In Timeline mode (where I am working to literally chop up longer shots into smaller ones, then rendering them into other files), the top line is green, and the audio is still out-of-sync.

I guess that I could try to start another project, as I am rendering these clips into separate files, but I do not logically comprehend why this is happening.

• 8. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

nierielimladris

Back in post 1, you say that your recorded your video as 720p with .mp4 file extension.

Later on you say in post 2, that your Premiere Elements 10 project preset was DSLR 720p 24 @ 23.976 frames per second.

But, what was the frame rate of the 720p with the .mp4 file extension that you recorded?

SG referred you to the NTSC/FLIP "Flip Mino HD 1280x720" settings where you report that the results are better but not quite right yet. As far as I can determine, there is no FLIP project preset with a 24 or 23.976 frames per second frame rate there. So what specific choice did you make in following up of SG's suggestion to you one of the FLIP settings?

Could you double check you settings for the source and export and report back to SG the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                          nierielimladris Level 1

AT Romano suggested that I provide the specs about the actual video footage.

Here's what I found when I put the video through MediaInfo, but 15.276fps!?:

footagespec.png

• 10. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

nierielimladris

Thanks for that information about the frame rate.

When you record your video, can the frame rate for the recording be set at at anything other than 15.276 frames per second?

Another question is..could you go to View Menu/Tree and set the view for Tree so that MediaInfo shows the complete video and audio properties. I am wondering what it shows under Video for Scan Type....interlaced or progressive, and, if interlaced, whether Scan Order says Upper Field First or Lower Fiedl First?

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Depending on SG's suggestions and, if you stay with the present footage, I would like to see the affect of customizing your export preset so that it has a frame rate of 15 frames per second rather what I suspect is the current frame rate of 30/29.97 frames per second. But, the information requested should rule in or out other factors contributing to your issue.

• 11. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                              nierielimladris Level 1

ATR: I used the tablet only because I did not have access to a camcorder.  I had no control over frame rate.  Also, this footage cannot be reshot.

I did try to convert to .avi and then import into Premiere Elements, but the quality of the video suffered.  Maybe I should try .mov?

expandedspecs.png

Any advice on how to make a custom setting in Premiere Elements for the specs I have would be truly appreciated.  This is for a national PSA campaign, and I have spent weeks struggling with the software.  My brother, who knows it well, has been perplexed (and trying to do this remotely), but he doesn't have variable frame rate and other issues (he has a very nice camcorder, just hundreds of miles away).

• 12. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

nierielimladris

That is one interesting set of video properties

Video Compression = AVCHD

Frame Size = 1280 x 720

Frame Rate (variable) = 15.276, ranging from 8.355 to 19.859, progressive

and with

AAC format for audio,mono, 44.1 kHZ

I have seen reports of iPhone users taking their video's variable frame rate footage into QuickTime Pro to generate footage with a constant frame rate, but...

Let us see what this looks like...

a. Import your file into Premiere Elements 10 with the project preset = NTSC/AVCHD/AVCHD LITE 720p30

b. When it comes time for export, look at Sharing/Computer/AVCHD and the preset for YouTube Widescreen HD. Then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, change the frame rate from 24 to 15 frames per second.

Not sure what that is going to look like and sound like, but let us see.

We will be watching for the results. Note, that there are other export possibilities, but just looking at this one for starter.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                                  nierielimladris Level 1

I tried to import this way, and after rendering, in the viewing screen, no matter where I start, the video and audio are out of sync.  This was true in the last round of importing in and rendering.  When watching the same file in a video player, it's fine.

Since it's already out of sync, I am not sure if I should even try to export?

• 14. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

nierielimladris

Since using up a disc is not involved, please give the export to file a try with the settings that I suggested.

Do you have Quicktime Pro if we explore that route for getting the frame rate to a fixed rather than variable one.

Thanks.

Also consider...if you can post a sample for download from here, I would be pleased to give it a try in my Premiere Elements.

ATR

• 15. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                                      nierielimladris Level 1

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Converting did not work.  I do not have QuickTime Pro, but tried some freeware, which made it worse.

It's for a NAMI PSA.

• 16. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

nierielimladris

Got a little behind on the day, so just checking in and saw your post.

I have just started the download of your file and will see if I can identify contributory factors for the issues that you described.

More later.

Thanks for the follow up which is much appreciated.

ATR

• 17. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

nierielimladris

I have downloaded your AVCHD.mp4 video, checked its properties, and studied its performance in Premiee Elements 10 Windows 7 64 bit from the point of view of import, playback of rendered Timeline in Edit Mode monitor, and playback of an AVCHD.mp4 export of that Timeline content. I stared into the monitor to watch the lip movements as the sound played  back. In any of the following I have not observed any out of sync audio.

MediaInfo basic properties included

a. AVCHD video compression, frame size 1280 x 720 @ 15.119 progressive frames per second (variable frame rate with minimum = 13.501 and maximum at 18.793)

b. AAC audio, mono.

Premiere Elements 10 project preset that I used was

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD LITE 720p24

In Project media, Interpret Footage told me that it recognized a frame rate of 15.0710.

Rendered the Timeline content and watched the lip movement as I listened to the audio. No out of sync audio.

For export,

Computer

AVCHD

Presets = MP4 HD720p24

under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, I set for 1220 x 720 @ 15 progressive frames per second. The export settings dialog under Advanced Button/Video Tab looked like the following

PE10.JPG

I watched the playback of this AVCHD.mp4 export and again did not observe any out of sync audio.

All video playbacks were with Windows Media Player 12.

Have you worked specifically with the video clip that you provided for download? If you have and you

found out of sync audio, then I am suspecting that this might be a system rather than a video problem.

It is a way out stretch, but...there have been some strange display goings on with Premiere Elements 10 and NVIDIA video card drivers recently. For all these cases, the answer has been rolling back the video card driver instead of the typical "making sure you have the latest version of the driver installed". What video card are you using in your computer?

Please review and then we can decide what next.

Just a note...this is a public forum with many viewing. Please do not post anything that would invade your privacy or is of a personal nature.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

• 18. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                                            nierielimladris Level 1

ATR, I wasn't sure how to send a private message, that's why I was hesitant to post, though this will be a public nonprofit campaign when it's edited. [And I can't appear to edit out the link now.]

I appear to have an Intel(R) HD Graphics.  The driver is from 2010 (Control Panel > Appearance & Personalization > Display).  No NVIDIA.

I will try again.  The presets you posted I think are different than the last few suggested.  Thank you.

• 19. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

nierielimladris

Please see if you get the same results that I did with the clip that you posted.

I will ask the moderator Steve Grisetti to remove that Dropbox link immediately after I submit this post.

Since the Premiere Elements 10 problems have been exclusive to NVIDIA and you have Intel HD Graphics (as I do), for now I would put the driver thought aside.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 20. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                                                nierielimladris Level 1

ATR, I do not have the option to set the fps to 15, I have 23.976, 24, 59.94, and Automatic (based on source).  Is there something in share video settings that I might not have checked before I entered this window?

• 21. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Nierielimladris,

I do not have QuickTime Pro

Many PrPro users have found that Apple's QuickTime Pro (a US $29 unlock/upgrade), can Export (convertion takes place here) to a fixed FPS, when starting with variable FPS material, and then Import and edit those files easily.

Also, I looked for the DropBox link, to remove it for you, but did not see it. Which Reply has the link, please, and I will remove that for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

nierielimladris

First, lef us make sure of your choice under Share/Computer/AVCHD. Presets should = MP4 - HD720p24.

Please refer to screenshot below.

720p-1.jpg

If that was set OK, then please go back to the Export Settings screenshot that I posted in post 17.

Start with the Profile and Level sets as shown. And, then set the rest of your settings to match

what is show in the screenshot in post 17.

I have Premiere Elements 10 Windows also so we can go step by step on this.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks..

ATR

• 23. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

I have first hand looked at a sample of that video, matching lip movement with audio. There was no out of sync audio.

I have Premiere Elements 10 Windows, like nierielimladris, so this is a one on one comparison.

Introducing QuickTime Pro into the equation might be warranted under different circumstances. The variable frame rate was NOT found to cause any problems in this specific case.

I am trying to have nierielimladris repeat what I have done to get focus on what is going on without introducing variables.

ATR

• 24. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Steve Grisetti took care of the DropBox link yesterday.

ATR

• 25. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

No wonder I could not find it.

Thanks, and thansk to SG for removing it.

Hunt

• 26. Re: Audio/Video Out of Sync (PE 10)
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Yes, as per my mention in post 19, I did this as stated and got immediate action from SG.

I will ask the moderator Steve Grisetti to remove that Dropbox link immediately after I submit this post.

ATR