15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2013 7:08 AM by A.T. Romano

Help!!! PE 10 not working correctly?

Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

I'm right in the middle of a project and suddenly PE10 is giving me problems.

It's weird, I can open PE and load my files and elements with no issues but when I try and apply any transitions or anything it doesn't work.

Even if I tell it to fade out the video it appears on the timeline that it's working  (the line bends down in the timeline or the transition appears etc.) but when I run through the transition it just jumps from one clip to another with no fade or transition.

After messing with it for a while I uninstalled PE completely, and reinstalled it in a new location on another drive.

It still does the same thing!

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

The only thing that has changed since yesterday is that I updated my nVidia graphic drivers to the latest version.

Other then that everything is the same, I was working on these same files yesterday with no problems.

Mike

• 1. Re: Help!!! PE 10 not working correctly?
          Nohjekim Level 1

Hi back with more information.

I open one of my completed videos and the transitions don't show in the preview window for it either.

But I went ahead and output it, and it appears normal, so this seems to be a matter of the preview window not displaying it correctly, not that the effects aren't getting applied.

I'm going to go back to my new project and complete part of it and see what happens when I output that.

Back again...

What I'm finding is that the preview window doesn't update unless I click in it, and the selection indicator plus the little crosshairs in the middle are always there.

Normally I don't see this.

It seems like I'm stuck in some kind of mode that I shouldn't be it.

I repeat this persisted after a total reinstall.

Here's a screen shot.

PE 01.JPG

You can see that the preview window is not reflecting where the indicator is located in the timeline.

Mike

• 2. Re: Help!!! PE 10 not working correctly?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

When I see either display, or GUI issues, the first thing that I check is the video card's driver. I go to the mfgr's. Web site, say nVidia, or AMD/ATRI and plug in my model, and OS version, then check their latest video driver against what I have installed. If I do not have the latest, I download, install it, reboot and test.

Even simple OS updates, can render a video driver obsolete, so things can work perfectly one day, then the OS update is applied (often behind the scenes, depending on Windows update settings), and then it does not work.

Even if you did not get any error message, I would also Delete BadDrivers.TXT file too.

Please let us know if this solves the issues, and good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Help!!! PE 10 not working correctly?
              Nohjekim Level 1

Hi Bill

Actually as I said above this started when I did update my nVidia drivers to the latest version.

If that's the problem then I may need to roll back to the older drivers.

If you think that may be the issue then I'll give it a try.

I usually keep my drivers up to date being a gamer I'm always looking for more performance.

It's funny I actually had a bad feeling about updating this time and debated whether I should do it or not, since everything was running great already.

Mike

Ok I'm in the process of installing the older drivers right now.

We'll see what happens when it gets done.

It's a pretty lenghty process, what with all the 3D drives etc.

• 4. Re: Help!!! PE 10 not working correctly?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike,

Looking forward to learning of your driver roll back results.

From what Hunt wrote earlier today in one of the threads, he is on his way to Washington, DC at the moment.

ATR

• 5. Re: Help!!! PE 10 not working correctly?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Missed that you encountered this AFTER an nVidia update. Sorry.

Do you have the previous video driver download handy? If not, you should be able to get that from the nVidia site.

I keep several previous versions, in case I have to roll back.

Some years ago, nVidia had two drivers in a row, that caused severe problems for Adobe software. By the time the exact issue was sorted out (an nVidia console setting for some 3D gaming modules), they had a third new driver, with those modules OFF by default. That fixed everything Adobe. Though nVidia is normally very good, they HAVE released a few bad drivers.

AMD/ATI went through several recently, that caused issues, then there was a longish delay in the release of a new one, but when it came out, most problems sorted out.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Help!!! PE 10 not working correctly?
                    Nohjekim Level 1

Hi Bill

That was it!

I reinstalled the older drivers and everything went back to normal.

I always keep the old install files too, you never know, this isn't the first time I've had to revert.

Anyway things are working again after a few hours lost, I wish I had done the drivers before I reinstalled PE.

It would have saved me a lot of time.

Thanks again for the help.

I'm redoing the first Lucy video that I did, a couple of years ago.

I'll post a link to the original and the new one here when I get it done.

I still think it's one of the funniest, if you have a weird sense of humor.

It started the whole Lucy thing, I didn't intend to do anymore when I did it, (I made it and sent it to a friend of mine who told me the joke) but it got me hooked.

Now I do one every couple of months, and I'm always looking for a good story I can write as Lucy dialog.

Mike

• 7. Re: Help!!! PE 10 not working correctly?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Great news!

I keep about 3 older drivers in archive - as you never know. I have not had to roll-back anything yet, but usually wait until I need a driver update, before installing. Still, you never know.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Help!!! PE 10 not working correctly?
                        Nohjekim Level 1

Hi Guys

Just for laughs here is my first video, and the new redo using more modern software.

The voice file and lip sync is picked up from the original, but it was output at full HD, and new high res textures were used for Lucy.

While it's really just as funny in the first format, this is really about learning stuff, and I try to do something new with every project.

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/nohjekim/media/Old%20Lucy%20Movies/LucyStoryaboutGrandfa ther.mp4.html

http://vimeo.com/76232761

Now I'll stop bothering you for a while and get on to some other projects.

Thanks again for the help.

Mike

• 9. Re: Help!!! PE 10 not working correctly?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

I like the Vimeo version better. If for no other reason than there are people moving about in the background. Now, I do wonder who they are, and what they are doing, but Lucy takes center stage.

When you re-edit Lucy in the graveyard, with the Knight (ghost) rising up, please post that. It was perhaps my fav.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Help!!! PE 10 not working correctly?
                            Markpic Level 1

That is a very sharp and clear video.

The music is really the impact of the vision. The action of death--being told.

The photobucket video seems more intense--compared to the vimeo-webiste video.

The vimeo website video--has the Lucy's eyes--looking upwards at one small section..(it didn't really figure)

Its well done.

• 11. Re: Help!!! PE 10 not working correctly?
                              Markpic Level 1

Howdty Mike,

Using the transitions in PE 10 does have some glitches running.

What I do, is to use my cursor.

Apply the cursor to the chosen transition--its should activate its animation/description. (the transition--should run)

When I apply transitions--I do each one--one at a time.

For PE 10, I use my Core 2 Duo PC.

I needed to upgrade this desktop--to continue using PE 10.

I once used 2-GB's of 800-MHz RAM.

I added more RAM=total RAM--4-GB's. (800-MHz)

I also need to stop using my integrated digital sound card--for a Creative D. Sound Card/X-Fi Extreme PCIe.

It does run better.

• 12. Re: Help!!! PE 10 not working correctly?
                                Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

I corrected the eye glitch, I'll update the one I have online soon.

My computer has an i7 4 GHz processor, an iNvidia Geforce 680 4 Gig. video card and 32 GBs of 1800 Hz ram.

I have 2 1 TB internal hard drives, and 3 external hard drives 500 Gig, and one 1 TB.

It has liqued cooling and a 1200 W power

supply.

I'm running a 27" Asus monitor with a 144 Hz refresh rate.

I'm using nVidia 3D Vision so I can run and create stereo 3D content.

I'm running Windows 8, (I was a beat tester so I've been running it for a couple of years).

And if anyone is interested, as I described someplace in the forums I've figured out an easy way to edit 3D Stereo content that I make in Premiere Elements 10, and output the left and right eye videos from one PE file.

Mike

• 13. Re: Help!!! PE 10 not working correctly?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike,

If you have the link for

I've figured out an easy way to edit 3D Stereo content that I make in Premiere Elements 10, and output the left and right eye videos from one PE file.

could you post it in your next post in this thread when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Help!!! PE 10 not working correctly?
                                    Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

Here's the info, I copied and pasted it from the other post, with  little expansion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------

I have messed around with creating stereo video with some success and one of these days I'll do a 3D Stereo Lucy movie.

Something that might be of interest to someone here, is that I figured out how to edit the stereo video in Premiere Elements.

You create the Left and Right Eye clips by moving the camera left or right, and generate the video for each eye, in a 3D creation program like Poser.

If you were really serious you could use two cameras side and by side to shoot live video shooting both at the same time.

If they weren't in perfect sync you could do that in PE and export them before you edit.

Two GoPros would set you back about $600 so you would have to be serious. LOL

You can also capture stereo video from computer games.

I haven't tried separating the left, right images from this video yet but I think I could set up a automatic process in Photoshop to do it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------

Now the How...

To edit the stereo video in PE, name the Left and Right Eye clips exactly the same and put them in two different folders labeled L and R.

Both inside the same Parent folder. 

Remember only the folders have different names, both sets of files have exactly the same names.

Edit your movie in PE and do all of the effects etc, using only the Right Eye clips, you can do anything you want, Transitions, Effects, even change the speed the clips run etc.

Then save it as Right Eye whatever and output the video, named Right Eye XXXXXXXXXX.

When the video is finished Change the name of the Right Eye folder to XR and change the name of the L folder to R.

When you open up PE, it will think it's loading the same files, and substitute all of the Right Eye clips for the Left Eye clips, incorporating all of the effects cropping etc.

Now save the job again as Left Eye XXXXXXXXXX and you have your left and right eye videos.

To view them all you have to do is load the left and right eye vids in to nVidia 3D Movie Viewer and you have stereo.

You need to have an nVidia video card and a 120 Hz monitor or better plus the 3D Vision kit with the infrared emitter and glasses.

You could to the same thing with anaglyph video too and not have to have all the hardware, that's how I started out doing stereo on my old computer.

If you haven't seen 3D vision, it's really fantastic, and I can play games in stereo for hours with no eye strain.

It really works.

Mike

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: Help!!! PE 10 not working correctly?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike,

Thanks for the follow up with the 3D how to information.

I will give that a try soon as it relates to a Premiere Elements workflow. I have not gotten into specifically Premiere Elements and 3D Video although I have seen scattered reports on the subject.

ATR