9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2013 12:54 PM by Trevor.Dennis

Guides in Sets and Different Colours?

Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

My current project is using a lot of guides, and it is confusing.  So I am thinking it would be nice if I could have sets or groups of guides, and in different colours?  I have had a hunt round, and so far the answer appears to be no, but if anyone knows different, I'd be pleased to know.

I realise I can do workarounds using libes in Shape layers, but that would not be as convenient as using guides as I could tweak their position unless they had individual layers, and with several of them, it could become a PITA locating the right layer - even with filters.

Any ideas, or is it doable and I have missed it?

• 1. Re: Guides in Sets and Different Colours?
          Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That would be a great feature.  Others have requested it, so the more people who want this makes it more likely to happen.

• 2. Re: Guides in Sets and Different Colours?
            Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hmm, I wonder if comp layers could change the guides. Never tried it.

• 3. Re: Guides in Sets and Different Colours?

OK, here's another question. This is the project - a request from a young lad at our camera club.  The ends are Smart objects, and one is a copy of the other, but flipped.  The inset Canon logo was an afterthought, but I couldn't edit into the smart object because the logo was flipped upside down on the other end.  So I had to layer the logos separately on top of the Smart Objects.  It would be great if we could plan projects out before we start them, but these things tend to evolve, and I bet I am not the only person who has tripped themselves up.

Questions

1. Is there are way to unlink Smart Objects from the Smart Object they were copies of?
              2. Can a multi-layered Smart Object be turned back into its layers without Rasterizing it, which obviously flaterns any layers it contained?

Ricky Camera Strap.jpg

• 4. Re: Guides in Sets and Different Colours?
                Grant H Level 4

Hi trevor,

1.     Yes, right click on thesmart object layer in the layers panel and choose "New Smart Object via Copy".

2.     if you right click on the smart object layer and select edit contents.

hope that helps.

Grant

• 5. Re: Guides in Sets and Different Colours?

At this time there is no way to unlink a SO, other than as mentioned above by making a SO via copy.  There is also no way to turn a SO back into the original layers, and this would be a big problem is you could in that the SO may be sized, so do you bring it back as the original size, or it's currents sized version.  Also, SO can be a different color space than the original document containing adjustment layers that can't be translated back into the original documents color space.  I would like something that just disconnects a SO from it's parent.  In fact, it would be nice to be able to make a selection of SO layers and do it in one operation.

• 6. Re: Guides in Sets and Different Colours?
                    Grant H Level 4

Hi csuebele.

If you rclick edit the SO it will open the container file with the individual layers.

/G

• 7. Re: Guides in Sets and Different Colours?

Yes, Grant, that's correct, but that's not the same as selecting a menu option and having it transform you SO back into layers in the origianl document.  While you can do as you mentioned, you would still need to make sure the layers in the SO are compatible with the original document's color space, and then drag them over, at which point they will be their original size and have lost any sizing done as a SO.  Also the applicaiton of any filters thows another whole area of "What do I do with this?" in converting a SO.

• 8. Re: Guides in Sets and Different Colours?
                        Grant H Level 4

well, you could do this:

go to the original file (smartTest.psd)  which is now a smart object in another doc (main.psd) make changes  to the smartTest.psd save and close. In the main.psd file right click on the SO layer and select replace contents... and choose the smartTest.psd file...

/G

• 9. Re: Guides in Sets and Different Colours?

I worked out while laying in bed waiting to go to sleep last night, but as a variation of the suggestions above.  Open the SO to edit it, and if the layers are not grouped group them.  Then right click the group and choose Duplicate group, and pop it back in the original document.  This gives you a fully exploded version of the SO that you can continue to use in the original document.  Thanks for the suggestions.