8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2013 6:25 AM by A.T. Romano

Problem with Premiere Elements 11 uploading mp4 files

Gumbie10

I tried to upload a video footage for editing. The video was taken using a GoPro camera and the output is mP4. The footage playback on Premiere Elements 11 was choppy and stalled often. I asked someone else with the same program and he experienced the same issue- so much so that he quit using Adobe's software and switched to Mac/iMovie. Any thought on why or how to fix the problem? I emailed Adobe support a couple of times for the problems encountered in both Premiere and Photoshop but have gotten no response from them. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Problem with Premiere Elements 11 uploading mp4 files
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You MAY need to convert your raw gopro video into something easier to edit

GoPro http://forums.adobe.com/message/4486784

-and http://gopro.com/software-app/cineform-studio/

• 2. Re: Problem with Premiere Elements 11 uploading mp4 files
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Gumbie10,

Are you also on a Mac, or on a PC?

Have you updated your Apple QuickTime Player? That is important for MP4 files.

PrE 11 should have no issues Importing MP4 files.

Do you get any error messages? If not, exactly what happens, when you go to Add Media, for those MP4 files?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Problem with Premiere Elements 11 uploading mp4 files
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gumbie10

Is your Premiere Elements 11 running on some version/edition of Windows (which one) or Mac?

Given that you have .mp4 footage from GoPro...what GoPro camera model? What are your camera settings? What are the properties of your source media for Premiere Elements 11? Are you setting the project preset yourself or letting the program's automatic project preset setting take charge?

Properties, video and audio compression, etc beside the .mp4 file extension.

When you drag your video to the Timeline as the first drag, is there an orange line OVER that content (not referring to the orange rubberband  through the middle of the clip), no colored line, or green line?

Is rendering the Timeline content part of your workflow if you see an orange line over the Timeline content?

Do you ever get to export? Are the problems in the Edit Mode reflected in the playback of the export?

Please describe your computer resources, especially as it relates to the duration of the Timeline. Are you seeing the same preview problems whether you have one or many clips on the Timeline?

And, the usual drill...is your video card driver up to date according the web site of the manufacturer of the video card? Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer? Are all your computer permissions in place?

Let us start here.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Problem with Premiere Elements 11 uploading mp4 files
                Gumbie10 Level 1

Hi John, Bill, A.T.,

I'll give you an update once I try the suggestions you all mentioned.

Just to answer some questions: I am using a PC, Dell XPS, Windows 7 Professional, nvidia graphics card.

GoPro Hero 3 Black edition. Not sure which settings my husband used when he took the footage, most likely taken at 1080p/HDMI. Our computer monitor and hardware are capable of supporting HD, that much I know.

A.T. I have not gotten to the Timeline as I was having trouble with the stalled, choppy playback and stopped there.

Meantime, for still images, I did my editing on PS Element 11 and used Live Movie Maker to put together the video. It works for me. I had trouble with the output (to burn DVD/Cd and to upload to PS showcase) in the PS Element as well.

Thanks again for the input. I'll give an update later.

• 5. Re: Problem with Premiere Elements 11 uploading mp4 files
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Not sure which settings my husband used

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside to read

-read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 6. Re: Problem with Premiere Elements 11 uploading mp4 files
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Gumbie10

Appreciated the follow up. Would like to offer some considerations....

1. If you are looking at choppy video, then you must be on the Premiere Elements 11 Expert Timeline or Quick Filmstrip in order to see the choppy video in the Edit Mode monitor. Consequently, to see the video you had to import it.

a. How did you import it? Add Media/Files and Folders to get the files into Project Assets from where you dragged the files to the Expert Timeline. (In the Quick Filmstrip route, there is no Project Assets intermediary. It is Add Media/Files and Folder/with direct to one of the scenes in the Filmstrip).

b. Once you had the files on the Expert Timeline or Quick Filmstrip, did you render the files there by hitting the Render button or by hitting the Enter key of the computer main keyboard?

2. Premiere Elements 11 automatically takes over setting up the project preset for a new project. The project preset should match the properties of the source media. Sometimes it does the set OK; sometimes, not. Check to see what the program has set if you did not set the project preset yourself manually. (Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.)

3. If you are using the GoPro Hero 3 Black at the 1080p set, then the video codec (compression) is AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/.H264). The question becomes at what frame rate...30, 60, or other progressive frames per second. From what you wrote, apparently what you have has a .mp4 file extension (that is what is called the container, the format that wraps the video and audio compressions).

4. Then we come to the matter of your photos. What are the pixel dimensions that you are trying to use for this Premiere Elements project? Have you gotten to importing the photos or is it only the videos that you have tried to import into a Premiere Elements 11 project?

Please review the above.

But, I am also concerned about

Meantime, for still images, I did my editing on PS Element 11 and used Live Movie Maker to put together the video. It works for me. I had trouble with the output (to burn DVD/Cd and to upload to PS showcase) in the PS Element as well.

Thanks again for the input. I'll give an update later.

Do you want two separate projects, one for video and one for stills or is all that a workaround for overall issues.?

Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written. I will rewrite if necessary so that we are in sync.

The answers are in the details.

More later.

ATR

• 7. Re: Problem with Premiere Elements 11 uploading mp4 files
                      VDOSurfer Level 3

Wow! Editing GoPro footages can be a pain.

So much so that even their website recommends converting it with their own codec to something your NLE (editing software) will gobble up.

http://gopro.com/how-to-prepare-video-files-for-editing-apple-mac/

Although this link is for editing on MAC, the same converter is available on Windows and the resultant file should be easy enough for editing.

So use their Cineform converter, convert it to a good MP4, that Premiere Elements will understand easier.

My theory is that with the amount of compression H264 allows, some cameras do it with different end goals.

1. Some like Sony, Canon etc. use the best possible settings for editing and playback. They result in bigger file sizes for a given duration.

2. The others like GoPro, Genius (G-Shot 507 for example) use the "most compression" setting. the file sizes for files out of these cameras are much smaller than the ones in point 1 for the same duration and similar camera settings. Editing is compromised in these. They have to be converted to say an AVI (best, I think) / MP4 (still OK if you have a good enough machine) and then edited.

Happy Editing.

• 8. Re: Problem with Premiere Elements 11 uploading mp4 files
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

VDOSurfer

If you have not seen the posts here on GoPro Cineform mixed in, I will try to dig them out.

More later.

ATR

Add On....This looks like one of the threads I was recalling.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1235985