12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2014 7:08 AM by ALLENT

Huge Merged Clips Audio Problem

ChristopherHawthorne

Hi all, I'm using Premiere Pro as a long-time FCP7 user and am having huge issues with audio sync in merged clips/subclips in my current project. I've spent the last two days trying to resolve this and cannot find anything that solves my problem.

Here is my process:

1. Transcoded RED files to ProRes

2. Created merged clips in FCP7, syncing multiple audio tracks to video

3. Exported out a project file XML (includes bins, merged clips etc)

4. Imported XML into Premiere Pro CC

Here's the HUGE issue:

- The merged clips now include an additional 2 tracks from the raw camera track, which I'd removed – so a 3 mono track clip becomes a 5 mono track clip

- The existing audio is out of sync and seems to overdub itself with an echo

- The remaining tracks are nowhere to be found

For example:

- 1V, 3A, with each audio being a voice turns into 1V, 5A, with 1 voice duplicated three times on a track out of sync with an echo and 2 tracks of the raw camera sound. This is driving me insane and I'm thinking of resorting back to FCP. Even when I manually create subclips from a timeline the same issue occurs.

Would appreciate any assistance!

I'm on an iMac 3.5GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM with Mac OSX 10.8.5. Premiere Pro is the latest version: 7.0.1, updated this morning. FCP7 is latest version (from a billion years ago).

Cheers,

Chris

• 1. Re: Huge Merged Clips Audio Problem
          Level 4

I have to say I have never tried what youre doing but just wonder what you sorta expect...

like that you'll have some kinda link to your fcp via xml to your prePro ?  basically do stuff in fcp and export what you did to prepro and keep that open so you can make changes in fcp later on or something ...without having to render stuff etc ??

=========

Here is my process:

1. Transcoded RED files to ProRes

2. Created merged clips in FCP7, syncing multiple audio tracks to video

======

if this is working up to this point for you why not just export pro res ( like make that product ) and then import that into your prepro to do whatever it is you wanna do in adobe...

I've gotten some nice mov ( animataion codec )  from guys editing red stuff...and put into cs3 ( way long time ago ) and it looked great, was able to play around with it with levels etc... make it look nice and everything was in sync etc...

maybe do that ? export as animation codec.. ? sorry, like I said , I dont do what you're trying...but maybe its an idea.. use what works.

• 2. Re: Huge Merged Clips Audio Problem
            ChristopherHawthorne Level 1

Hi Able123,

Thanks for the reply!

The reason I want to now edit in Premiere Pro is only because I'm on a machine that I know will want to take full advantage of the RAM and Mercury Engine. I love FCP7 but I just don't think it'll be fast enough. And I want to eventually output back to RED to grade, so I don't want to compress into animation/ProRes as a sequence – although my hand might be forced if I can't solve this problem soon.

Thanks for suggestion!

Cheers,

Chris

• 4. Re: Huge Merged Clips Audio Problem
              Level 4

if its any consolation... way back when I was testing a red camera and getting some files from friends ( post house ) .. like the mov animation thing I mentioned... everyone here in forums were in HYSTERICS.. cause I had mouse computer ( 32 bit OS PC ) and 4 gig ram, and I had to go through redcine X to downscale and all kinds of weird stuff to even GET red stuff onto my mouse...

so everyone was making fun of me....

now I have a new computer ( called the pig cause ITS HUGE )..and 64 bit os and cs6... and all those silly tests I did before helped me understand some things ( like how cool the animation codec is )...soooo it was worth being laughed at...even though the chics kinda ignored me...

what i mean is whatever works is sometimes good...no matter ... can export at night and wake up and its done...yipee !

• 5. Re: Huge Merged Clips Audio Problem

I think I found a solution to the problem – and it allows me to keep my clips referenced so I can push to an online edit easily.

In Final Cut, If I put all my merged clips onto a sequence and make them independent, then export that sequence as an XML, I can then create Premiere Pro-recognized merged clips manually from there. Saves me having to re-sync over 400 minutes of footage.

Good luck with the Pig, Able123!

Chris

• 6. Re: Huge Merged Clips Audio Problem
                  Level 4

so youre not getting your bins and all that other stuff ??? linked to the xml ? I dont do what youre doing....just curious so if anyone else see this thread they get your solution better explained... cause you helped by solving problem..

hehe. thanks re: pig.. it says oink ( thank you in pig language )

• 7. Re: Huge Merged Clips Audio Problem
                    Level 4

==========

Saves me having to re-sync over 400 minutes of footage.

========

I know how that seems like a lot.. but trust me.. if it was a 10 day safari in Africa to hunt an elephant you woulda been WAY more bummed out...if you had to go through all that WALKING AND WALKING AND WALKING.. footage I had to go through....

( hand held no steadicam, behind hunters and guides, omg... if I see one more foot of walking through africa I will shoot myself )...

• 8. Re: Huge Merged Clips Audio Problem
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I think steps 1 through 4 are unnecessary.  Just edit the original RED clips right in PP.  You can Merge them there, too.

• 9. Re: Huge Merged Clips Audio Problem

Hi Jim,

I agree – I just had no access to PP when I began and had to get a jump on the obligatory but frustrating sync process. Nevertheles it's certainly opened my eyes to PP's handling of XML files (which is not to say well).

Thanks!

Chris

• 10. Re: Huge Merged Clips Audio Problem
                          Level 4

mac and fcp have a long history of ingesting footage via pro res etc from arri, red, panavision etc.. on sets and in camera trucks ( dailies on drives shipped to post etc ) ... so theres a very good workflow there.. that works... the fact is prePro is helpful too, but what works may well be a number of tools in tandem...which means there are no wasted steps.. only those that work to make product..

• 11. Re: Huge Merged Clips Audio Problem
                            Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

Several bugs involving merged clips were fixed in the CC7.2 update. In particular, I know that some issues with audio sync were corrected.

• 12. Re: Huge Merged Clips Audio Problem
                              ALLENT Level 1

Could you list what the fixes are.  I had filed a case earlier in the year about the Merged clip issues, and I never heard back (I believe Adobe just closed the case).  But my comment/question was, if I merge audio in PP, and then try to create a sub-clip, the audio went haywire.  Has that probelm been fixed?  Again, could you provide a list of fixes for CC 7.2 (expecially those pertaining to audio).

Thank you