17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2013 8:35 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I stop jerky video in timeline of premiere elements 12?

GmaShack

I have just purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 12 (this software is new to me but I have watched a couple of videos). My video clip is slow and jerky in the time line and yes, there is a yellow line through it and no, rendering does not help. The clip plays fine from the window. I do not want to return the software but it is no use to me the way it is. I have Windows 8 Pro, Intel pertium Dual CPO E2180 @ 2.00GHz with 3.00GB RAM, 32-bit OS, x64-based processor.  I really need help.

• 1. Re: How do I stop jerky video in timeline of premiere elements 12?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does this help? - Jerky or slow playback http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1071217

Exactly what are you editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside to read

-read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

If you are editing HiDef video with that computer and a 32bit Windows and only 3Gig of ram... you have a "tough row to hoe"

The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may also help, starting with the information on setting up a project

• 2. Re: How do I stop jerky video in timeline of premiere elements 12?
            GmaShack Level 1

Thanks John - let me check this stuff out and get back to you.

• 3. Re: How do I stop jerky video in timeline of premiere elements 12?
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your machine is underpowered. It will handle SD but that is it.

• 4. Re: How do I stop jerky video in timeline of premiere elements 12?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

GmaShack

I am not in a position to comment on the 64 bit processor in the 32 bit operating system. It probably is an advantage than a disadvantage, yet you still have a 32 bit operating system which is still limited by maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which typically 3 GB of that are available. Is it at all possible for you to go all 64 bit, with Windows 7 or 8 64 bit operating system*? If so, you would gain a big advantage having Premiere Elements 12 as a 64 bit application running in the 64 bit operating system. But, even then you want to get the installed RAM to at least 4 to 8 GB.

But, for the here and now, check the motherboard to see how many RAM slots you have and how much it can accept in the way of RAM modules. If you stay with the 32 bit operating system, total 4 GB RAM installed. Or is that what you have now...that is...is your 3 GB RAM reported installed or available RAM? Do you have 4 GB RAM already installed?

What are the properties of our source media for your project...standard definition, standard or widescreen, or high definition 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080? What is the typical duration of the projects that you intend to create.

And could you clarify what you mean by

My video clip is slow and jerky in the time line and yes, there is a yellow line through it and no, rendering does not help. The clip plays fine from the window.

I would agree with Ann Bens, that your machine is underpowered for HD tasks. But, you might be able to handle short term HD projects as well as SD projects with tight control over resources, detouring scratch disks et al to an external hard drive for one aspect of the computer resources issues of available RAM and free hard drive space.

Then we should not forget the usual drill of is your video card driver up to date according to the web site of the video card manufacturer?

And, we need clarification on "The clip plays fine from the window." What window?"  Where is the clip slow and jerky? Please distinquish between Edit Mode monitor, Preview Window within the program and playback of the export in a player.

And, we should rule in or out whether the project is set up correctly, that is, what project preset is being selected and does it match the properties of the source media??

Please review the above considerations. Then we can try to put the discussion exchanges into perspective to help you move forward in your Premiere Elements 12 projects.

Please do not hesitate ot ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

*For Premiere Elements 10, 11, or 12 to be a 64 bit application on Windows, it is written that it must be running on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit specifically. That means to me operating system, not processor. Until proven otherwise, regarding your 32 bit operating system with a 64 bit processor, that is my take on your specific situation in this regard.
                • 5. Re: How do I stop jerky video in timeline of premiere elements 12?
                  GmaShack Level 1

I think I understand below - please correct if necessary.

1. Looks as if my machine does not have the power to run the software successfully, although I thought I checked the system requirements and passed that hurdle. I will have to turn this part over to my husband to deal with along with checking about the video card.

2. The 'window' I was talking about is the one that pops up when I double click on the video in the project assets area ... although I just tried it again and it is also jerky so never mind. When I drag my video clip from the assets area to the time line there is a yellow line at the top of the clip. Also, when I start to play the video clip at the very beginning a flash of a non-English language frame comes on but then goes right away.

3. The video clip is from my Nikon D7000 DSLR and here are the specs: Quick time movie, 1920 frame width, 1080 frame height, 18655 Kb Data rate and total bit rate, 23 frames p/second.  I really don't know enough to get the answer the other questions about type of media source.

4. Right now I am taking my first video class so my projects are fairly small but I anticipate more family videos in the future. I appreciate everyones help, it was pretty frustrating not being able to just contact Adobe and have someone talk me through this though.

• 6. Re: How do I stop jerky video in timeline of premiere elements 12?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

GmaShack

It is about 1 am where I am so I will work on your post first thing in the light of day.

Thanks for the details.

More later.

ATR

• 7. Re: How do I stop jerky video in timeline of premiere elements 12?
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>3. The video clip is from my Nikon D7000 DSLR

Video from a DSLR is requires a VERY strong computer to edit

You need an i7 processor with a 64bit Windows and a MINimum of 8Gig of ram... 16gig is better... to run the 64bit version of Premiere Elements

You also need a MINIMUM of 2 hard drives... C drive for Windows and software, second 7200rpm hard drive for project and video files

This message has a really good picture showing requirements

Click the picture to expand to readable size - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/810750

• 8. Re: How do I stop jerky video in timeline of premiere elements 12?
                        whsprague Level 4

GmaShack wrote:

I think I understand below - please correct if necessary.

1. Looks as if my machine does not have the power to run the software successfully ...

3. The video clip is from my Nikon D7000 DSLR and here are the specs: Quick time movie, 1920 frame width, 1080 frame height, 18655 Kb Data rate and total bit rate, 23 frames p/second. 

4. Right now I am taking my first video class so my projects are fairly small but I anticipate more family videos in the future.

Your computer does run the software. 

Your camera is making files too complex for the "strength" of your computer, not the software.

For your class, either buy a new, much more "muscular" computer or set the camera video mode to take the lowest quality it possibly can. 

• 9. Re: How do I stop jerky video in timeline of premiere elements 12?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

GmaShack

Besides the consideration of your Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 32 bit system with 64 bit processor resources which are low for your type of project, please check out your project preset settings to make sure that they are best set...

If you have Nikon D7000 1920 x 1080p24 (23.976) footage, then your Premiere Elements 12 Windows project preset should be:

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DLSR 1080p24

For already created projects, you can check what has been set via Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readouts for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size.

If you have not already, please open Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace and go directly to creating a new project via File Menu/New/Project. That should bring up the new project dialog where you select the project preset cited above. Do not exit the new project dialog without putting a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project". When you are back in the Premiere Elements 12 workspace, the use Add Media/Files and Folders to bring in one of your 1080p24 files to Project Assets.

From Project Assets drag the 1080p24 file to the Expert workspace Timeline. Is there an orange line over that content (I am not referring to the orange line that goes through the middle (horizontally) of the video clip.)?

What does the play back of the video look like in the Edit Mode monitor (assumed no orange line over the Timeline or, if there was, after rendering view).

We will watch for further reply.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: How do I stop jerky video in timeline of premiere elements 12?
                            GmaShack Level 1

Hi ... I believe I was able to do as you asked as far as preset and checking 'force selected project settings ..." ... the video does have an orange horizontal line just a little below the top of the video clip and I don't really know what you mean by over the content but this is the only orange line in any case. In the playback mode ... assuming that is the large window where the video plays back ... it is as if it skips parts of the video clip. No orange lines there just jerky playback. I did try to render the video before playing it ...

We do have another computer that is more powerful than this one ... if my husband backs up this one and puts it on the new one do you know if I will have any license issue with this software or is that a different question for a different thread? I really appreciate you walking me through this though ... thanks for all the ideas and efforts.

• 11. Re: How do I stop jerky video in timeline of premiere elements 12?
                              GmaShack Level 1

I did download the application installer for the 32-bit OS ... so I thought I was running the 32-bit version of PE12.  Obviously I am way over my head here ... thanks for the link below about a picture of the requirements but I cant find a picture ... is this a test? smile

• 12. Re: How do I stop jerky video in timeline of premiere elements 12?
                                GmaShack Level 1

Just FYI that I keep all of my photos and projects on an external drive ...

• 13. Re: How do I stop jerky video in timeline of premiere elements 12?
                                  Markpic Level 1

Your computer info makes no sense at all.

This is a PC desktop I built just to use Adobe Premiere Elements 11.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B7D02D758111086F!695&v=3

Also--some of my video projects. (hobby stuff)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MisterTymes/featured

• 14. Re: How do I stop jerky video in timeline of premiere elements 12?
                                    GmaShack Level 1

I don't really know how to respond to that comment.  I thought I was getting the correct information about my computer my clicking on properties ... I will have my husband look at your link ...

• 15. Re: How do I stop jerky video in timeline of premiere elements 12?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

GmaShack

Just getting back to your thread.

For the one copy that you have of Premiere Elements 12 with its purchased serial number...you can install that on each of no more than 2 of your computers. But, you run one at a time from what I am told of the Adobe Licensing agreement.

The key thing to remember in this area is that, in order to use this copy (same purchased serial number) on a 3rd computer, you have to "deactivate" it from one of the other two that it may be installed on to keep the total computers in use to 2.

Remember, do not uninstall until after you deactivate. And, that deactivation is done in the opened project, project/program closed, and then the uninstall via the usual Control Panel route.

The interesting part of all this that it used to be Premiere Elements Help Menu/Deactivate. Now Deactivate has a different name in version 12. Now it is Help Menu/Sign Out (with your email shown to the right of that).

I realize that your computer resources are limiting the larger projects you may want to do. But, define your own limits for what you have before making what next decisions. What I have recently detailed about your project settings was done to rule out any negative contribution to your results from the project settings aside from any computer resource limitations.

Here is a screenshot showing the two types of orange lines being referred to

OrangeBands.JPG

Also, let us give a look at any possible effects of the Playback Quality setting which offers Automatic or

Highest choices. Right click the Edit Mode monitor and select Playback settings. Compare the playback results

with each of the settings.

Please review the above. We all started on the same learning curve. You will do fine with exploration and experimentation and with Q&A.

Looking forward to your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: How do I stop jerky video in timeline of premiere elements 12?
                                        GmaShack Level 1

Thanks for the kind words and the license info.  I tried both setting on the playback quality, they are pretty much the same.  The orange band that I see is the rubberband, it is more toward the top rather than the middle, but it is the same thing. No rendering orange line.

• 17. Re: How do I stop jerky video in timeline of premiere elements 12?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

GmaShack

Thanks for the follow up.

Do you have any jpg photos or videos with another format that you could import into Premiere Elements 12 to see if the playback of them gives about the same playback results as with what you have now? If you do these mini tests, just use a few photos and a short duration video so that we can put aside resource contributions to any problem that may exist.

Let us know if you see any significant break throughs in moving forward with your video editing plans.

Do not give up.

ATR