21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2015 7:02 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync

terriCCC

I am using Premiere Elements 11 for editing sermons, and recently I have noticed that in all of the finalized videos the audio and video are out of sync about half-way through the sermon. I know it is not the DVDs since they have no issues when running in a DVD player or with Windows Media Player.  The DVD's that are formated after service break the sermon into three files. The files, after importing them to Premiere, read  "VTS_01_1. VOB,  VTS_01_2. VOB,  VTS_01_3.VOB" The first file runs fine with no delay, but the last two consistently are off.  When I first installed this program I had no trouble with this so I am wondering did I change something or is there a better way to do this.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
          A.T. Romano Level 7

terriCCC

Is your Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit?

How are you getting those VOBs to the Expert workspace Timeline?

Are you placing your DVD in the DVD burner tray, opening Premiere Elements 11 to use its Add Media/"DVD Camera or Computer Drive"/Video Importer with "Add To Timeline" and the ripped VOBs select in the Video Importer dialog? Or, other?

Please clarify what you are exporting your Timeline to for this playback that is out of sync...file saved to the computer hard drive or to DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen format on DVD disc. Are you setting the correct project preset? If your DVD represents DVD-VIDEO standard is your project preset NTSC DV Standard; if your DVD represents DVD-VIDEO widescreen is your project preset NTSC DV Widescreen?

Each VOB cannot accept more than 0.99 GB. So, when more data are involved, another VOB is generated. Right now it looks like you have 3 x 0.99 GB on your Timeline. What total duration are you seeing? When you get to the burn dialog for one of these projects, what are you seeing in the burn dialog for Space Required and Bitrate.

When quality and out of sync audio occur with the ripping of the content into the video component VOBs, some have tried a seamless DVD.vob approach (combined VOBs in one file) using the computer Command Prompt and then importing the DVD.vob instead of the individual VOBs. I have written about this in a blog post.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe-dvd-videoseamless-vob-ripping.html

I do not know if we are ready for this just yet.

Let us confirmed the details of what you are doing now as per the questions that I have asked.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
            terriCCC Level 1

I am running on Windows 7, and I have been copying the files on the DVD to the computer

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
              A.T. Romano Level 7

terriCCC

Then please try the typical procedure I described for ripping the VOBs from the DVD disc

Are you placing your DVD in the DVD burner tray, opening Premiere Elements 11 to use its Add Media/"DVD Camera or Computer Drive"/Video Importer with "Add To Timeline" and the ripped VOBs select in the Video Importer dialog? Or, other?

Key point to remember...in the Video Importer dialog, there is a Save In field. The default is Videos. Your VOBs from DVD disc 1 will be saved there. But, here is the catch. Each DVD uses the same names for the video files VTS..... So, when you go to repeat the process with DVD disc 2, you will get a message that the files have already been import when you know that the VOBs have not been imported from this particular DVD disc 2.

So, for each DVD disc ripping, change the Save In field so that each disc's VOBs go to its own folder.

If you have checked the project preset and it is set correctly and you have perfect the Video Importer route cited and you still are getting out of sync audio, then maybe we need to explore the Command Prompt technique for getting the seamless VOB (DVD.VOB) that I have described in my blog post.

But, let us make sure we have ruled in or out the factors that I have mentioned before doing that.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
                terriCCC Level 1

Yup, I have tried it that way and also importing from the folder on the computer and it still does it

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

terriCCC

Did you check the project preset that is being used by your Premiere Elements 11 Windows. You can verify that as follows.

Please go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. What does it give for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size?

When the DVD discs were created, were they created DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen or are you dealing with a mix?

When you go to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc what are you setting as the preset for the burn to

NTSC_Dolby DVD

or

NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

Let us see if we can pick up on any factors in your replies to the above.

I want to be sure that we have exhausted all possibilities before we try the Command Prompt attempt at a seamless VOB.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
                    terriCCC Level 1

The Editing Mode is HD 1080i, Timebase 29.97 frames/seconds, and Frame Size is 1920 H 1080 V. I do not know if the DVDs are a DVD-Standard or a mix, how can I tell what it is? When I Publish+Share I save it as a FLV-web medium.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If this is a "standard" DVD that will play in a set top DVD player attached to a TV, then your editing mode is wrong

A DVD is, by definition, one of the two settings below

NTSC = 720x480 with PAR .9 display at 4:3 or PAR = 1.212 16:9

PAL = 720x576 (I don't do PAL, so don't know PAR settings)

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
                        terriCCC Level 1

Okay it is a Standard DVD, so what do I need to do.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

terriCCC

This is what suspected.

Open a new Premiere Elements 11 project. Immediately go to File Menu/New/Project. In the new project dialog, set the project preset for NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen, depending on what you have. Before you exit the new project dialog, be sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project".

Then in the Premiere Elements 11 workspace, do the Add Media/"DVD camera or DVD drive"/Video Importer to get your VOBs to the Expert workspace Timeline

Then export Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with the preset appropriate for your workflow, DVD-VIDEO standard or DVD-VIDEO widescreen.

Can you tell visually whether your DVD-VIDEO display is 4:3 standard or 16:9 widescreen from the playback on computer? If the player offers that information, great. If not,

What you could do is download and install the free utilitiy named gspot

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

Then, in the gspot dialog, navigate to the VIDEO_TS Folder and select one of your VTS files (VTS_01_1.VOB). The utility should show a Display Aspect Ratio, either 4:3 or 16:9.

Looking forward to the results.

Thanks for following up.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

terriCCC

Just saw your lastest post and John T. Smith's observations after I had posted mine.

Your answers are in my post 9 that I wrote before seeing what you and John T. Smith were exchanging.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

terriCCC

Please let me know if you are OK with those details in post 9.

If not I will clarify so that we can rule these factors in or out.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
                                terriCCC Level 1

I tried it and it is still out of sync.

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

terriCCC

If you have double checked your steps and still have the VOBs audio out of sync in the final product, then let us go with the Command Prompt method of obtaining a seamless DVD.VOB as I have described in my blog post already cited.

Command Prompt is a slow approach and special detail must be placed on the data that you are typing in.

Let us see how you do with that.

Let us know if you need any clarification on the blog post details. Just go through them word for word, detail per detail.

More later.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
                                    terriCCC Level 1

I am trying to follow the steps on your blog but when I put in (CD VIDEO_TS) it says the system cannot find the path specified.

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

terriCCC

Thanks for the follow up.

Please re-check...

a. What is the drive letter for the drive where the DVD is? The drive letters in the examples are for the examples and not necessarily the drive letter for the drive where you have your particular DVD disc is.

b. What is the drive letter shown at the beginning of the line into which you are inserting (CD VIDEO_TS)?

and What is the drive letter shown at the end of the line above the (CD VIDEO_TS) line?

We will be watching for further details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
                                        terriCCC Level 1

That did the trick! Looks and sounds good. So I need to do that for every DVD they give me to edit?

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

terriCCC

Great, great news.

I do not know of a batch command for Command Prompt. So, as of this time, it looks like one DVD at a time.

Each of the DVD.VOBs that you create with this method will be going to the same place with the same name. So, rename the DVD.VOB from the first before you go on to working on the second DVD to produce the second seamless DVD.VOB.

Congratulations on your success. Great job.

ATR

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
                                            terriCCC Level 1

Thank you for all of your help. I wouldn't have made it far without it!

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

terriCCC

Glad for the opportunity to assist in your Premiere Elements troubleshooting.

ATR

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
                                                juliet zhu Level 1

Premiere Elements can edit VOB files, if you use the DVD/Hard Drive project preset. You can then output it in a variety of web-friendly formats, including WMVs and MOVs. If it not works for you, then you can change the suffix .vob into .mpg so that Premiere Elements can support.

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
                                                  sophializhu Level 1

juliet zhu 撰写:

Premiere Elements can edit VOB files, if you use the DVD/Hard Drive project preset. You can then output it in a variety of web-friendly formats, including WMVs and MOVs. If it not works for you, then you can change the suffix .vob into .mpg so that Premiere Elements can support.

Some users encounter other problems after changing VOB file suffix. For example, the .mpg videos play blurry in Elements, or there is no audio output after importing .mpg files into Elements. In fact, simply adding a different suffix to VOB files is not an effective way to make VOB files editable in Adobe Premiere Elements in that it contains multiplexed MPEG-2 video stream, audio streams (normally AC3 and DTS formats) and subtitle streams. Something you need to do is to format-shifting VOB file type to MPEG-2.

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Audio & Video are not in sync
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

juliet zhu

Do you work with or have you worked with Premiere Elements (any version) with regard to this question of Premiere Elements and its support for DVD-VIDEO video files with the vob file extension? And on what computer operating system is/was the program running?  I asked this because of the details that you wrote.

Your wrote

Premiere Elements can edit VOB files, if you use the DVD/Hard Drive project preset.

We finally agree that Premiere Elements can edit VOB files. However, be advised that "DVD/Hard Drive" is not a project preset. There is a difference between

a project preset and Add Media choice. And a project preset does not enter into this. It is the Add Media choice that does. And that Add Media choice

would be Add Media/DVD camera and Computer drive/Video Importer.

ATR