14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2013 2:56 PM by jomckinney

error 131:4

jomckinney Level 1

indesign, photoshop, illustration all freeze as soon as they are launched. After using Creative Cloud cleaner the error 131:4 pops up to restart and try again. Again I get the same error.

• 1. Re: error 131:4
          amxyz Employee Moderator

Hi Jo,

Which version of InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator are you using? And what OS?

The error code indicates there's a missing file or invalid serial number. You might want to try reinstall again.

Take a look at the 4th reply in this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5075289

When you using the App Cleaner, make sure you remove all preferences and folders related to that version of the software.

Let us know if this helps!

Thanks,

Amy

• 2. Re: error 131:4
            jomckinney Level 1

I'm using mac osx10.6.8 and adobe suite cs5.5.

I've used this computer and software for 2 years without a problem. About a

month ago, all of a sudden when launching Indesign it would open and freeze

up. Then photoshop and illustrator. I've tried lots of different ideas from

forums, but nothing has worked. I have uninstalled all adobe and ran the

Adobe Creative Cloud cleaner for adobe cs5.5 and this is when the error

131.4 has now showed up maybe giving me some solution. Everything works

when in safe mode.

• 3. Re: error 131:4
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

jomckinney wrote:

Everything works when in safe mode.

That tends to implicate some other program as conflicting. Do you run a font manager?

• 4. Re: error 131:4
                jomckinney Level 1

No I do not run a font manager.

• 5. Re: error 131:4

OK, waht else loads when you start up normally? Not just programs, but utilities...

• 6. Re: error 131:4
                    jomckinney Level 1

I think this is my problem for the moment.

I have this message Configuration error. A problem has occurred with the

licensing of this product. Restart your computer and re-launch the product.

(Which I have done.) I this problem still occurs after restarting, contact

Customer Support for further assistance, and mention the error code shown

at the bottom of this screen.  Error 131:4

Can you help with this or do I need a different department?

• 7. Re: error 131:4

This is a user forum, so we may not be able to help, but you never know. The licensing issue doesn't ring a bell for me, but that doesn't mean that nobody else knows. It's most likely a configuration issues of some sort, or a corrupt file in the licensing system, but I can't tell you which ones to delete. Normally I'd say call sustomer support, but for CS5.5 they'll just send you back here. Your best bet may be simply to see if Amy comes back. I believe she has access to the database and resources that will tell you what to do.

• 8. Re: error 131:4
                        amxyz Employee Moderator

In most cases I've seen, customers were able to resolve the issue by doing a clean reinstall. When you used the app cleaner last time, did you also remove all preferences associated with CS5.5? If not, I'd suggest you to try that then reinstall. 

Also,what happens when you launch the apps in a new admin account? Dov in this thread (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4639835) pointed out that there could be also be a conflict between InDesign and your graphics card driver. Have you checked if there's an update for your graphics card driver?

Unfortunately, the only suggestion given in Adobe's internal doc for the 131:4 error code is to reinstall the apps. If you can PM me your Adobe ID and serial number, I can check if the serial number matches with what's on file.

• 9. Re: error 131:4
                          jomckinney Level 1

I know the serial number matches with what is on file because I double

checked my account and these are the original disk I received when I

purchased the adobe suite in June 2011. I was thinking because I have

reinstalled so many times I ran out of chances.

I can go ahead and uninstall again using the app cleaner. This will be

about the 5th uninstall and reinstall I've done. Before the last uninstall

I did a new user account and the software worked for about two days and

then started the same launch issue. So I deleted the new user account.

About two uninstalls ago I have also reinstalled my OS system and did the

disk utility for hardware check. Everything keeps checking out.

At this point should I use the clean app and uninstall again?

• 10. Re: error 131:4
                            jomckinney Level 1

ok I did the uninstall all adobe suite using the clean app. I then

reinstalled the adobe suite cs5.5. I do not get the error message, but it

still freezes after launch and I have to restart my macbook.

• 11. Re: error 131:4

That might well be a problem with SING. See SING Removal and also Adobe Forums: InDesign CS5.5 Not Responding where you will find instructions to generate some diagnostic reports.

• 12. Re: error 131:4
                                jomckinney Level 1

i'm giving up for now on trying to solve the problem. I will just work in

safe boot. None of the suggestions have worked at this point. I have been

trying different suggestion for the last month.

Thanks for your help.

• 13. Re: error 131:4
                                  amxyz Employee Moderator

Sorry to hear that, Jo! Are Photoshop and Illustrator working fine now after the reinstall?

If you can PM me your Adobe ID, contact info and availability, I can have a technical agent to take a look at your issue.

• 14. Re: error 131:4
                                    jomckinney Level 1

No everything in the adobe suite cs5.5 software freezes. It launches and

freezes. Can not do force quit because the whole laptop is froze. keyboard,

tracker pad, everything. Always have to use the power off. But everything

works is safe boot.