2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2013 6:21 PM by apelike_22

FCP iChat Theater Replacement for Premiere CC

apelike_22 Level 1

Hi there,

Wondering if anybody switching from FCP has experimented with replacements for FCP's iChat Theater feature.  I'm at a company that regularly does remote work with clients and this was a feature that we used often with great results. 

Currently, without getting some extra hardware to stream something to a Justin.tv channel (which I've had to do with Avid setups before), we've cobbled something together using Google Hangouts On Air in studio mode.  It wasn't great, so we have some more testing to do, but I'd love to know what others are doing/have done.

Also, for anyone who used this feature in FCP, please make a feature request to Adobe to add this functionality.  Thanks!

Jon

• 1. Re: FCP iChat Theater Replacement for Premiere CC
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi apelike,

Yes, feel free to make a feature request for that: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

I remember that was a pretty popular feature. Can't you do most of that on Skype these days, though?

Thanks,
          Kevin

• 2. Re: FCP iChat Theater Replacement for Premiere CC
            apelike_22 Level 1

Hi there Kevin,

I wish Skype were up to the task.  Unfortunately in our tests it has a couple major problems.  First, it lacks the ability to isolate a specific window within an application. It's either going to share all of Premiere, your entire monitor, or another app.  We only want the record monitor window.  The second drawback is due to the first: there is too much data going through the pipe and playback lurches regularly.  That's in our intra-office test, where we know we have good data rates.  Could be even worse when we're in the field.  So, unfortunately It's not adequate for client sessions.  A third drawback is that to connect to groups it requires a $10/month subscription. 

If I remember right, one of the best features with iChat theater was that you could specifiy the resolution you wanted to push across, so you could vary it according to connection speed.  I'm going to do some research using Livestream, but the major drawback there is that it requires two systems: one to run Premiere and another to stream the monitor output. 

I made a feature request a while back, but I'll do it again.  I think it would be a great addition to an already great app and tie in nicely with the cloud angle

Thanks very much for your quick reply!

Best,

Jon