22 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2013 12:26 PM by A.T. Romano

Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12

Jimmy Mock

Bought a copy of Premiere Elements 12 and downloaded software.  Installed it on Win7 64 bit version.  Immediately it asked me to sign in, then just kept displaying cant access Internet retry.  Did an offline activation but software thinks its a trial version good for 32767 days.  Worked with online chat Adobe support via remote control, his last request was to create a new login admin and retry activation which also killed my session with him and he never contacted me back.  It did not work anyway.

So I have a new version bought paid for and shows up as my registered product under my Adobe ID but I cannnot get the software to think its anything but either a 30 day trial or after entering my serial number a 32767 day trial.

Any suggestions.

• 1. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jimmy Mock

The only one who can resolve that type of problem is Adobe, via Adobe Chat for starters. We are Premiere Elements users trying to help other Premiere Elements users, not Adobe.

The link that works for me with this type of issue is the following

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=serial-number-issues-o r-activating-my-product

With "2" set for Serial Number/Activation problems, click on "I still need help" to bring up the Adobe Chat. Ask for a

supervisor if necessary. But, the first rep typically does the job, does it well and quickly.

I just went through an episode of installing the purchased (boxed) products after I uninstalledl the tryouts. (I prefer to install that way rather than plug a purchased serial number into the tryout). The Premiere Elements 12 install went without problems, but the Photoshop Elements 12 one got me "concerned". It took 4 type ins before I got beyond "invalid serial number" with and without dashes for reasons still unknown. But, the bottom line to my story of what worked for me is "do not give up".

Please update us on your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
            shikha.. Adobe Employee

Jimmy,

There could be multiple reasons for Activation/Sign in failure.Please try the workarounds mentioned in the link:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/activation-network-issues.html

Also if nothing works you can try offline activation.

For instructions, visit www.adobe.com/go/getactivated.

Please update.

Thanks,

Shikha

• 3. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
              Jimmy Mock Level 1

I spent three hours with Adobe chat and he tried these steps. Always stayed a trial if just varied from 30 to 32767 days. Offline activation said it worked but once clicking the app, the trial popup remained. I may try a reinstall or try 32 bit version. Thanks for the link.

Sent from my iPad

• 4. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
                Jimmy Mock Level 1

Today, I removed and reinstalled the win7 64bit version.  Now when I click new project or existing project the purple/black bar moves for about 20 secs but then stops.  Program never displays splash screen with legal notice etc. Never opens up the video editor.  Organizer works fine. 

Any ideas?

still trying to get support via Adobe Chat but no resolution yet.

• 5. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
                  shikha.. Adobe Employee

Hi Jimmy,

Can you please share following logs

Go to temp(Start -> Run and type %temp%) and attach <<oobelib.log, PDApp.log,amt3.log>>

Please do share these logs since many users are getting this issue but nobody has shared logs with me and until logs are shared I wont be able to help any of them.It would be really helpful for everyone.

Thanks,

Shikha

• 6. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
                    Jimmy Mock Level 1

I don't see a way to attach a document, can someone tell me how to share the logs?

• 7. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Jimmy Mock

Those 3 files (oobelib.log, PDA App.og, and amt3.log) can all be opened with NotePad, but I am not sure how

to get either the original .log files or the NotePad file to shikha.

shikha has been good on follow up, so shikha follow up is expected.

You could post the files for download here, using some sharing facility such as DropBox, but best we wait for shikha.

As an aside, I ran into the same "32767 day tryout" when dealing with the Premiere Elements 12 tryout. In my case, the scenario went

a. download and install Premiere Elements 12 tryout

b. uninstalled tryout completely, installed from disc purchased Premiere Elements 12

c. ran into problems with purchased Premiere Elements 12, deactivated, uninstalled it and reinstalled tryout (which still had at least 15 days left on it when it was uninstalled)

d. at reinstall of the tryout, I found "32767 day tryout", but it reverted to "30 Days Left" when I opened the tryout for a second time. But, the tryout seems to be working for the essentials.

ATR

• 8. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
                        Jimmy Mock Level 1

After reinstalling, I cant even get the Video Editor to run now.  It just times out after about 30 seconds whether you choose Existing or New Project.  I have spent 4 hours over 2 days with Adobe Chat and about all they have accomplished is goofing up the licensing of my other Adobe products.  Surely you should be able to have a voice conversation with these issues with someone.  Never had any trouble with Adobe before.  This product was downloaded via Amazon but other that the trial issues I created a project.  Now after a removal and reinstall the Video Editor just hangs and times out leaving you at the Welcome screen for Organizer and Video Editor.

Jimmy Mock

[Personal data removed for privacy - Hunt]

• 9. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jimmy Mock

As fast as you can, please remove your contact information to avoid nuisances.

I am just a Premiere Elements user, not Adobe. And, I do not have any insider contacts with Adobe. This shikha has "Staff" in the ID description, so right now let us count of this person to help with insider information.

At this time, I got beyond the install issues of Premiere Elements 12 tryout and purchased, but am hung up on delayed openings for File Menu/New/Project and closing of the program. These issues appear to be version 12 specific since other versions of Premiere Elements on the same computer has working great in all respects. Even version 12 is working well except for these unwanted delays. Still troubleshooting them.

Let me think about your situation some more.

More later. Please get rid of that contact information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jimmy Mock

The usual drill....

a. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12?

b. Is the version 12 set as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

c. Did you install to default recommendations?

More later.

ATR

• 11. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
                              Jimmy Mock Level 1

Quicktime is up to date.  Was installed via a admin login.  Adobe had me try to run from a virgin admin login but no difference.  I wasn’t asked about recommendations during install that I recall.  After unzipping, I had to manually click the executable to start the install.  Seems like there were two questions about keeping preferences and downloaded content.  I believe I said no to preferences and yes to downloaded contact.  The first time I installed I said yes or kept both.

Another odd thing is I don’t recall my Acrobat Pro being release 10 X Pro.  Its now saying I need to activate that product and my old serial number won’t accept. I clicked on trial for now.  The adobe chat guy was deleting my cache.db files so I assumed that was the reason but perhaps Elements has a tie to Acrobat and that’s related to this issue.

Thanks for your help.

Jimmy

• 13. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jimmy

Did not see any Logs attached. How did you do the attaching?

ATR

• 14. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
                                  Jimmy Mock Level 1

I tried responding via Outlook to shikha by just attaching the logs.  I guess they did not go through or were too large.  I attached one to this email to see if you get it.

Jimmy Mock

[Personal data removed for privacy - Hunt]

• 15. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
                                    shikha.. Adobe Employee

Hi Jimmy,

You can mail me the logs at shigoel@adobe.com

Waiting for your response.

-Shikha

• 16. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
                                      shikha.. Adobe Employee

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for sharing logs.

Your logs does not suggest any corrupted database(which is good though).

Can you restart your machine(would close any extra processes) and verify if you are able to launch Editor.

If still not successful, you will have to delete the content in the folder “C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\SLCache”  (there are some hidden files also in this folder also,make sure you delete all of them)

Deleting this folder might need you to license your other Adobe products again.

-Shikha

• 17. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
                                        Van Helvoirt

A customer called me last week because he had the same experience after buying Premiere and Photoshop Elements online.

After downloading and installing both applications he was able to activate and register Photoshop Elements. But when opening Premiere Elements and trying to register it keeps telling there is no Internet connection.

We already tried uninstalling, downloading the latest version, installing and opeing both applications as a trail first and than trying to register Premiere Elements first. But without succes :-(

The installation was done on WIndows 7 with full admin rights and all security and virus detection turn off.

Did anyone experience the same problem and did find a solution?

• 18. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Van Helvoirt

Go to Computer. Right click it, and select Manage. Under Manage, select Event Viewer and look for Error that appears to be related to the Premiere Elements 12 Sign In/Registration event.

Have you been there and done that?

Recently I had a terrible time reinstalling Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit (Internet connect working without question). Sign In failed with the endless turning icon. The whole dialog developed a gray cast. I discovered the error message, went to the hard drive location indicated, and clicked on the file cited.

In this particular case, the Adobe Updater opened wanting to update camera raw. After I let that go to completion, the Sign In functioned to gain me access to the program. But, at no time did I get any messages related to Internet connection.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 19. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
                                            Jimmy Mock Level 1

My Premiere Elements 12 still thinks it’s a trial.  I can use it once by entering my serial number and I won’t get the splash written over the video.  Every time I close and reopen I have to enter the serial number to reactivate.  It will say I have 32767 or so days left on my trial.  I used Amazon digital products to download.

A first level tech guy took control of my pc for hours and deleted licensing files etc. but no help.  I just haven’t had time to take up the fight again.

Jimmy Mock

Parish Administrator

Holy Trinity Lutheran Church

[Personal data removed for privacy]

• 20. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Jimmy Mock

First, please remove your contact information to avoid nuisances.

I had the same issue with Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit. Happened twice. After the last insertion of the serial number in the License This Product field of the dialog, I have not gotten that unexpected dialog back. And, I did the installation with an purchased installation disc/serial number to begin with.

Is your Internet connection working OK consistently?

More later.

ATR

• 21. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
                                                Jimmy Mock Level 1

I have no issues with internet, I just get asked to relicense everytime I reopen the program.  I had an existing version of Photoshop Elements 11 on my machine.  I wondered if that added anything to the conversation but I have no issues with its licensing.

Jimmy

• 22. Re: Cannot Activate or convert Trial in Premiere Elements 12
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jimmy Mock

If you have not already, you might consider contacting Adobe via Adobe Chat to see if you can get some insight into why that license this version is appearing so frequently? The following link may help you in that pursuit. It is targeted for activation issues, but Adobe Chat at the following link may redirect your issue to its Tech Service. Let us see.

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=activating-my-product- or-serial-number-issues

Once the link opens, click on "I still need help." to bring up the Adobe Chat.

You could wait it out and determine if it stops happening after 7 days.

ATR

Add On...At first thought, I would not think that Premiere Elements 11 is interacting here. Separate programs, different serial numbers. I have serial versions on the computer, no problems. These Premiere Elements 12 seem to exist with or without other Premiere Elements versions on the same computer.