6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 9:47 AM by Ian Edge LS

User settings not syncing in Premiere Pro CC

Ian Edge LS

Searched around the forum and the rest of the web for help, couldn't quite find anything.

My company just hired another videographer/editor and so I got upgraded from the old Production Premium 5.5 to CS CC so we'd be running the same version.

My problem, as the title suggests, is that my settings aren't transferring between projects. I'm not getting my keyboard shortcuts, general preferences or my custom bins.  All my old 5.5 projects now open with the default settings, and even after I tell it sync from the menu, they won't sync.

5.5 kepy everything across all projects, so I'm not sure if I'm missing a setting to switch on or what. I know we had some licensing issues when IT first did the upgrade, which just made me run a trial for two or three days. I haven't uninstalled/reinstalled yet, and would prefer not to. To clarify, I'm not worried about getting my settings from 5.5. I can redo my settings in CC, I just want to avoid doing it in every project. New projects are synced right out of the gate.

I'm running Windows 7 and CC v7.0.1(105), and according to my CC manager all my programs are up-to-date. Also running Ae, Ai, Au, Ps and Sg.

I changed some settings in Ae and those synced automatically, no effort on my part.

----

First time posting on the forums, so if I missed something, apologies!

• 1. Re: User settings not syncing in Premiere Pro CC
          Jim_Simon Level 8

To the best of my knowledge, the Sync feature only works with other CC installs, not with older versions.  For example, when you have Premiere Pro CC installed at home and at work, or on a desktop and a Laptop, then you can easily sync the various user settings between computers.  But it doesn't work with anything before Premiere Pro CC.  You'll have to manually move over some things like the keyboard shortcuts, and then recreate the others.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: User settings not syncing in Premiere Pro CC
            Ian Edge LS Level 1

Alright, that makes sense for the old 5.5 projects. But I'm still having issues syncing across CC projects.

Example: Made one test project, changed settings, keyboard shortcuts, special workspace and added a custom bin. Synced those to the cloud. Started a new project, Test 2. Test 2 kept all those same settings. Closed PrePro, launched it and started a new project, creatively named Test 3. Test 3 was completely default. Opened Test 2, it was set to the defaults and same with the first one, except it kept the workspace.

It seems like it keeps settings if I leave PrePro open the settings keep syncing, but if I close it and reopen, it's set to default and those settings persist... Which is why I thought new projects were keeping the settings synced.

Thanks for the help Jim!

• 3. Re: User settings not syncing in Premiere Pro CC
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Start by going to File>[your user name]>Manage Sync Settings...  Be sure that Automatically clear settings isn't checked.

Also note than bins aren't something that syncs.

• 4. Re: User settings not syncing in Premiere Pro CC
                Ian Edge LS Level 1

Nope. I saw that box when I was searching initially. It's not checked. The preferences, workspace and keyboard settings are checked though.

Seems silly that bins aren't synced. They were persistent in 5.5 and it made life easier. Guess I can put in a feature report for that.

• 5. Re: User settings not syncing in Premiere Pro CC
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Bins have never been persistent.  You open a new project, you get no bins.  You have always had to create them from scratch for a new project.

Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas on why the Sync isn't working.  I only tried it once when it was new and it didn't work for me either.  I've read of issues that cropped up after syncing, so I never did try it again.

• 6. Re: User settings not syncing in Premiere Pro CC
                    Ian Edge LS Level 1

I appreciate you trying to help Jim. It'd be really helpful to have my settings be persistent instead of always reverting to the default. I had our new editor check and her PrePro CC does the same thing.

Probably just a bug. Like I said, thanks for the help!