2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 3:11 AM by Andrew_S

Why did CS6 export these files?

StanWelks Level 1

I exported a clip as h.264 hd1920x1080 29.97 and it froze prior to completing, so I exported it again, though it also seemed to have exported some other files, and I am not sure why they are there, or what they are. Please see the attached file.

1. Why did it export a .m4v?

2. Why did it export a .aac file?

3. I'm guessing that the tmp file was from the version of the export that crashed prior to finishing?

Thanks for any help.Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 5.16.21 PM.png

• 1. Re: Why did CS6 export these files?
          Vinay Dwivedi Adobe Employee

Hi StanWelks,

Thanks for the post. The m4v and mp4 have a a very thin line of difference and that is the encoding format of the audio. H.264 gives a mp4 format. So m4v is a video format and .aac is for audio. It may happen that when the encoding failed for the first time it created these two files instead of a mp4 file.

Regards,

Vinay

• 2. Re: Why did CS6 export these files?
            Andrew_S Level 3

Depending on settings when exporting a H264 file, separate audio and video files are produced (the m4v and AAC files) which upon completion of processing of the exported video, are multiplexed together into the final MP4 file. The original two m4v and aac files are then deleted. That's why there is a mysterious delay, in that the progress bar shows its nearly at 100% complete but nothing seems to be happening, except for HDD activity. The input file or sequence has been processed and now its being multiplexed into the final MP4.