15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2013 5:56 PM by mrfilmeffects

Laptop for Running PrE 11

mrfilmeffects

I'm looking at purchasing a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 Laptop Computer for running Adobe Premiere Elements 11, 64-bit (the PC runs Windows 7).

I am going to be editing only AVCHD video, and not for professional purposes; the extent of using PrE 11 will be laid-back, consumer-level editing, audio mixing, keying, rendering, color correction, etc.

I want the program to run smoothly, efficiently, and not freeze or crash. Although I want everything executed in a timely manner, keep in mind I am only doing consumer editing, so I only need a computer that meets these exact requirements, no more, no less.

If anything should be upgraded or downgraded, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Here are the specs for the Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531:

Processor = Intel Core i5-3230M Processor (3.20GHz, 3MB Cache, 1600MHz) with Intel HD Graphics 4000

Graphics = Intel HM77 - Intel HD 4000 Integrated Graphics (WWAN or mSATA capable)

Memory = 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600MHz SODIMM

Hard Drive = 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm

Operating System = Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit

• 1. Re: Laptop for Running PrE 11
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Will not work WELL for HiDef AVCHD video

You need more memory (8Gig is better, 16Gig is best)

You need TWO hard drives... C for Windwos and all software, 2nd 7200rpm for projects and video files (as a MINimum)

An i7 processor will also work better

These are about Premiere Pro, but read for ideas

-http://forums.adobe.com/message/4717373

-http://forums.adobe.com/message/4578948

• 2. Re: Laptop for Running PrE 11
            A.T. Romano Level 7

mrfilmeffects

There is no guarantee for 100% trouble free operation for anything. Rather we can reference probability as a guide.

I have used ThinkPad laptop (single core yet) with far less resources than the one you present - Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit installed, and it did fine with SD and HD projects. But, I did take the installed RAM to 8 GB rather than leave it at 4 GB. And, I do use external hard drives for scratch discs and video storage.

Does this laptop have a DVD drive built in?

Please double check all the features of the laptop you intend to buy. There can be multiple models of the same computer, each model plus or minus a feature of the generatized specs. Just make sure that you are not hit with an unexpected minus.

Just some thoughts.

ATR

• 3. Re: Laptop for Running PrE 11
              mrfilmeffects Level 1

Thanks for your input. I will be using a 1TB external hard drive; as for the 8GB, how essential is it?

I have heard MacBook Pro runs these programs quite well, and it some of them only have an i5 with 4GB of RAM. Is that any better, and if so, why?

• 4. Re: Laptop for Running PrE 11
                nealeh Level 5

If you are considering a Mac you might want to look at the following:

What is omitted in the Mac version of Premiere Elements 12?

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Laptop for Running PrE 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mrfilmeffects

I am strictly an Elements Windows users (Window 7 and 8 64 bit). But, from what I have read, each of these laptops comes with a statement from the laptop manufacturer related to how much installed RAM a particular model supports. Check that out for your brand/model of interest.

For Windows or Mac, if 4 GB, I would check out ahead of laptop purchase the number of RAM module slots your computer motherboard has and the maximum amount of installed RAM those slots will accept. The total 4 GB might very well meet your needs. But, if it does not, you will know ahead of time that you can upgrade the installed RAM to at least 8 GB RAM. Let actual performance determine essential.

I have found that, while 4 GB installed RAM for my laptop gave me good performance for most of my projects, 8 GB installed RAM (increase in physical memory accompanied by related virtual memory) made performance better for all projects. Some say go higher. The 8 GB RAM installed works for me so I have not investigated upgrading it further.

As nealeh's link points out, Premiere Elements Mac does not come with all items that Premiere Elements Windows has. The Windows and Mac versions are essentially the same, but do have the differences cited in the SG article. Recently I made some notes about Premiere Elements Mac on a fact finding mission

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe11-mac-information-round-up.html

An important note is that Premiere Elements 11 and 12 should be 64 bit applications running on Mac 64 bit.

• 6. Re: Laptop for Running PrE 11
                    whsprague Level 4

mrfilmeffects wrote:

Thanks for your input. I will be using a 1TB external hard drive; as for the 8GB, how essential is it?

I have heard MacBook Pro runs these programs quite well, and it some of them only have an i5 with 4GB of RAM. Is that any better, and if so, why?

A year ago I was shopping to upgrade a Toshiba i5/8GB laptop for video editing.  I was drooling over a MacBook Pro, but it was getting near $4,000 to get what I wanted in it. 

I also looked at "laptop workstations" from HP.  Well equipped they were nearly the same price.

During the search I ran into a market niche that I was unaware of called "gamers".  ASUS has a line they call "Republic of Gamers".  I paid about half the price of the MacBook Pro.  The model number was G75VW-DS72 and it included an Intel i7 Quad-Core, 16GB of RAM, a SSD, a 7200 RPM HDD, nVIDIA Graphics, 17.3" HD 1920x1080 Display, Blu-ray Player and Burner and 4 USB 3.0 Ports for external drives.  It is big and heavy!

External drives are not a good place to put your video projects while you are working on them.  The USB ports are a "choke point".  Use external drives for storage, not active work.  I take advantage of the SSD by putting each project into its own folder and make sure all the scratch disks are there too.  When complete, I move the folder to another drive.  If I need to work on the project again, I move the folder back.   A recent 45 minute project ended up using a 65GB folder!

It runs Premier Elements, Photoshop Elements and Lightroom very well.  I've worked complicated AVCHD 1080p60 projects, with lots of adjustments and multiple video tracks, up to an hour in length without trouble.  The i5, 8GB Toshiba I still have does not come close in performance when editing or creating output files or disks.

The G75 runs Premier Elements 11 "smoothly, efficiently and does not freeze or crash".

I've never run a game on it, but creating Blu-Ray disks is a nice feature that even the MacBook Pro would not do with out serious extra equipment.

Bill

• 7. Re: Laptop for Running PrE 11
                      mrfilmeffects Level 1

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I don't want to spend over $1,000, so could you name a few laptop computers that would be good for my needs?

• 8. Re: Laptop for Running PrE 11
                        whsprague Level 4

This one has an i7, 8GB of RAM, nVidia graphics card, a 1920x1080 screen and fast USB ports for external drives.  The built in HDD could be a little faster, but it will work.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983615-REG/asus_n550jv_db71_15_6_notebook_computer.h tml

• 9. Re: Laptop for Running PrE 11
                          whsprague Level 4

This one is cheaper,  has the i7 and 8GB ram.  The graphics card is OK and it has fast USB ports.  The screen has a little less resolution.  The HDD is the same slower 5400 RPM style.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/985442-REG/toshiba_pskk2u_00f006_satellite_s55t_a525 8nr_multi_touch_15_6.html

• 10. Re: Laptop for Running PrE 11
                            whsprague Level 4

Here is a Samsung with i7 Quad Core and 8GB.  It has a big screen for a laptop.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1001661-REG/samsung_series_5_np550p7c_t01us_17_3.htm l

• 11. Re: Laptop for Running PrE 11
                              whsprague Level 4

Since you were looking at a Lenevo, try this one.  It has the i7 Quad Core and a 7200 RPM HDD.  At $719 it has only 4GB of RAM.  If it turns out sluggish, you could up the RAM to 8GB without spending a lot. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995776-REG/lenovo_62775cu_thinkpad_edge_e431_6277_5c u.html

• 12. Re: Laptop for Running PrE 11
                                mrfilmeffects Level 1

Thank you VERY much for your help. In the interest of spending less, could I stick with the laptop I had originally suggested, and merely upgrade to 8GB of RAM?

The Lenovo computer you suggested is actually an earlier model of the one I initially asked about, so would upgrading the RAM work?

• 13. Re: Laptop for Running PrE 11
                                  Markpic Level 1

Intel graphics last about 1-year.

If there is not a update, your stuck.

I would recommend a SanDisk 120-GB Extreme SSD for System C:/drive.

Also one would be good for a external storage drive (archive drive)

Use that 500-GB 7200 rpm as a external storage drive.

The RAM is very good.

If Lenovo installed it, it should be compatible.

===

Personally--I would never attenmpt video editing on a laptop vs. desktop which is fully upgradable.

With a laptop--you're stuck with it.

Here's what I built for PE 11

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B7D02D758111086F!695&v=3

• 14. Re: Laptop for Running PrE 11
                                    whsprague Level 4

mrfilmeffects wrote:

Thank you VERY much for your help. In the interest of spending less, could I stick with the laptop I had originally suggested, and merely upgrade to 8GB of RAM?

The Lenovo computer you suggested is actually an earlier model of the one I initially asked about, so would upgrading the RAM work?

I don't spend a lot of time shopping for laptops.  About every 5 years, or so, I get to buy one due to some sort of failure.

My understanding and experience is that AVCHD video editing is about the the most work a computer will do.  It is especially true with HD 1080p60 footage.

Tradionally, professional video editors have workstation towers with fast prosessors, quick graphic cards, lots of memory and multiple disk drives.  Those of us that want a portable solution have to think differently.

If I get it right, the two most important things for a video editing laptop are the processor chip and enough memory.  With Windows and Premier Elements now doing "64 bit" an i7 and about 8GB or RAM are the two most important elements.

Next is a graphics card but it is not clear to me how much Premier Elements takes advantage of it.  Then the speed of the HDD counts.

Cheating seems to be a SSD because they are so fast at disk intensive operations like video editing.

So, on that basis, I would not buy an i5 based computer.  I have one and it was slow at video editing. 

My advice is that, whatever you do, get a best in class CPU and about 8GB of memory.  Your original suggestion flunks in the CPU part.

• 15. Re: Laptop for Running PrE 11
                                      mrfilmeffects Level 1

Again, thanks for your feedback - it helped a lot.