6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 12:02 PM by IoanaLuca

Math equations

3301Libby

Is there a way to create complicated math/scientific equations in InDesign CS6? and have them export to an accessible pdf?

• 2. Re: Math equations
          G.Hoffmann Level 3

I'am working since many years (PageMaker era) with MathType.

http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/works_with.asp#!target=indesign

I'm not sure whether they had ever solved the confusion about Symbol fonts.

Here comes a somewhat complex doc as an example (started 2002):

http://docs-hoffmann.de/masspoint09092002.pdf

What do you mean by accessible PDF?

Readable – yes, but editing happens in MathType via InDesign.

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

Minor correction edited.

• 3. Re: Math equations
            MrMathType Level 2

Hey there 3301 -- Gernot picked up on the critical element in this. Sadly, the fact is that there is no such thing as an accessible PDF when it comes to math. In some ways we're close to that, but in other ways we're just as far away from a truly accessible PDF now as we ever were.

Eugene, that's the first time I've seen the Smart Styles plug-in, but I didn't see anything at their site that would address "a way to create complicated math/scientific equations in InDesign CS6". Did I just not dig deep enough? (Not trying to be picky here; I really want to know.)

Cheers -- Bob

• 4. Re: Math equations
              rhadow Level 1

Adobe is advertising on Dice for MathJax developers, so, perhaps, there is an InDesign solution on the way.  All of the official Adobe responses recommend that you use a third-party app to make a pdf, then place the pdf in the ID document.  This is a ludicrous workflow.

There are a couple of third party add-ons, neither of which are listed on the Adobe add-on site.  I'd really hate to shell out money for yet another cheap piece of software that **almost** meets my needs.

There are a couple of Russian YouTubes that describe math equations in ID, but I cannot understand them.

The answer is an ID built-in style that renders LaTeX or mathjax.  Otherwise, my suggestion is to use Word instead.

Robert

• 5. Re: Math equations
                Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

When I read you, I laugh! … A little! 

I make Maths since a very long time, in a galaxy far far away! … [pageMaker, XPress, FrameMaker and now InDesign].

On Windows, I've tested, bought and used a good solution proposed by MT-Script using MathType equations!

But I really prefer MathMagic [OSX + Windows] and what I can tell you is that this plugin is a real pro way to make Maths into InDesign!

If you want to see samples of Maths books I've made, take a look at my cyberfolio!

https://indd.adobe.com/view/96839e77-90a9-4ead-82f5-f1840f435d3a

… especially this (page 24):

Capture d’écran 2016-03-27 à 18.34.38.png

• 6. Re: Math equations
                  IoanaLuca

Hi, I am just starting to work with Math in InDesign, and I am trying to find a solution to insert complicated fractions. So I found this discussion and MathMagic seems great for what I need. The only problem is that it doesn't work. I can't even install the plug-in.

After I copy the plugin folder into Indesign plug-ins folder and I start InDesign, I get this error:

Screenshot 2016-03-28 20.28.20.png

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I really don't know how to make it work, I've never worked with Math in InDesign, I'm just a regular designer, and I don't seem to find much information on the internet about MathMagic.

So please help if you can.. I have a lot of math books to make and this seems as the only solution.

Thanks a lot