5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 10:28 AM by bogiesan

How to create an eye opening effect?

kniemeier

I am helping my students with a video.  They want to start with a black screen then apply an effect of some sort that looks like an eye is opening from being unconscious or asleep so the video is a little blurry at first.  I know how to blur, but I'm not sure how to make the eye opening transition happen.  It would be cool if you could see the video in the eye and have it zoom to full screen, but I'm not sure if that is possible in Premiere.  Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated!  Thank you!

• 1. Re: How to create an eye opening effect?
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi kniemeier, You could try an Iris Round transition opening to the blurry eye, but it sounds like you need more control with masking, etc. In that case, I would say that After Effects might be the better tool to pull this off effectively. Anyone else?  Thanks, Kevin

• 2. Re: How to create an eye opening effect?
            Michael MTT Level 1

Hi! As Kevin wrote, AE is more flexible with such kind of things but if you want to stick to just one program you could try the 16-point garbage mask. Its a bit tricky to use and the result is a polygon, no round shape. But since you blur it, it might work for your purpose. Here is a test I tried with this method. Above is the mask with the keyframes, bellow I duplicated the blured (tick the exclude edge pixels option!) mask and fliped it verticaly. You might shift the keyframes some frames to make it not 100% sync which should look more natural, but thats finetuning in the end.

eyelid prempro.jpg

• 3. Re: How to create an eye opening effect?
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why not just shoot some video of an eye opening and go from there?

• 4. Re: How to create an eye opening effect?
                kniemeier Level 1

We thought of that, but they want to be able to see the video in the eye so the viewer knows it is from his point of view.  If we can't figure anything else out, we will video the eye and then just cut to the next part.  What they really want is a video of an eye opening with the video really small in the color part of the eye and then zooming in to cover the full screen.  I'm just a beginner with Premiere and have never used After Effects so I'm not sure if what they want to do is even possible!

• 5. Re: How to create an eye opening effect?
                  bogiesan Level 4

> They want to start with a black screen then apply an effect of some sort that looks like an eye is opening from being unconscious or asleep so the video is a little blurry at first. <

The convention for indicating someone regaining consciousness depends on the point of view. Is the audience in the victim's head or are we watching their face? If we're in his head, a slow fade up to a blurry image is all that is required to communicate to a viewer what is going on. A simple split vertical wipe , perhaps with with some clever masking as suggested by Kevin, is possible. The addition of a wipe, however, is an affectation; it's only justifiable in the context of the rest of the film's effects and style.

> It would be cool if you could see the video in the eye and have it zoom to full screen, <

This describes the reverse POV; we're watching the person recover. Kevin's wipe works for this and you can place the video, which I assume is the sphericaly distorted image of the room or environment as it would be reflected in the cornea, on top of the image with Premiere or After Effects. You will need to track the image, though, to nail it to the eyeball.

The questions raise more questions about the storyline and the style of the production than it does about technique required to pull it off successfully.