10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2013 6:15 AM by A.T. Romano

"session" file created in unwanted location

barba3gr Level 1

Regardless of what I do in the "Preferences" menus, PE 10 continues to create a session file under My Documents, not under my computer username. I've arranged to get everything else saved under my username, but PE 10 still puts the session and "Styles" under My Documents. How can I get it to move that text file to the folders where the saved projects are?

Gerard

• 1. Re: "session" file created in unwanted location
          Markpic Level 1

You can choose a location in PreSets.

PE 11 doesn't require that action.

But yes, My Documents is the location of SAVE TO--backup.

Look at your PreSets interface../

There is a location--choice.

===

Or, you may choose from FILE in the video editor--for a SAVE-location.

When I do that, I re-write a filename of my choosing.

(that's your back-up)--should there be a system crash.

Don't mess with things.

Adobe already has many things refined.

Message was edited by: Markpic

• 2. Re: "session" file created in unwanted location
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Markpic

Please review what you have written as to fact and relevancy to the question regarding the Adobe Folder contents.

ATR

• 3. Re: "session" file created in unwanted location
              A.T. Romano Level 7

barba3gr

Until proven otherwise, this is my first hand take on the question that you asked..

Please review the following.

The Adobe Styles that come with the program and that are displayed in the Premiere Elements Titler are found

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 10

Presets

Styles

The Styles are saved in a .prsl file as an entire set.

These do not appear to be your target and you should not be pointed to them in this instance.

Now,

Libraries

Documents

Adobe

Premiere Elements

What you are finding in the Styles Folder in the Documents location is the .prsl file in which are the Styles that you created in the Titler. They are user custom Styles, not the default Styles in the Titler that come with the program. This is the one you wish to move to your location of choice. Are you in the habit of creating user custom Styles when you are in the Titler?

The finer detail on this seems to be....if you opened a project and no user custom Styles were ever created, you would probably see just a file named tempworkingset.prsl. After you have created your own Style(s), it/they would be a set in a file named workingset.prsl.

I have always found that no matter how you set the Scratch Disks locations and the Save In in the new project dialog, a default Styles Folder (with at least the tempworkingset.prsl file) plus the Session.log file will regenerate to this 10.0 location.

A similar situation seems to exist for the Media Cache Database Folder which has saved .mcdb files.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Common

Please verify first hand everything that I have written..

The Adobe forums may close for some maintenance. If I do not see the reply tonight, I will watch for it in the morning.

ATR

• 4. Re: "session" file created in unwanted location
                A.T. Romano Level 7

barba3gr

Just a quick...beware...movement of the Styles Folder in Program Files can lead to having to reinstall Premiere Elements 10 to

get the Styles that came with Premiere Elements 10 back into Styles' section of the Titler.

ATR

• 5. Re: "session" file created in unwanted location
                  barba3gr Level 1

Thank you very much for the info; it was past the point of frustration. I

think I uninstalled and installed the software, at least, twice.

Gerard

• 6. Re: "session" file created in unwanted location
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Gerald

Was your post 5 intended as "in reply to A.T. Romano" since the factual and relevant reply was posted by me.

We are pleased that you are moving forward with your Premiere Elements project. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

ATR

• 7. Re: "session" file created in unwanted location
                      barba3gr Level 1

I was replying to the email I received. To be honest I have not gone online

to see all the responses to my inquiry. I'll have to go to Adobe(dot)com

and check your, A.T. Romano, response due to the fact that I tried the

other possibility and it did not solve my dilemma.

• 8. Re: "session" file created in unwanted location
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

barba3gr

Thanks for the follow up.

My post detailed that situation that exists, and the conclusion would seem to be, in non technical and extended terms, it is what it is. And, beware of the consequences to one aspect of the program as you attempt to beat the system.

ATR

• 9. Re: "session" file created in unwanted location
                          barba3gr Level 1

A.T.R.

I guess I thought it was a user choice, but I see that it isn't. I'll

just deal with the situation. As you say, "it is what it is." Thank you

very much.

Gerard

• 10. Re: "session" file created in unwanted location
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

barba3gr

Thanks for the follow up.

If you run into anymore of this type of situation, please do not hesitate to post a question about it. In some situations, we can find workarounds, sometimes not.

Success with your projects.

ATR