7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 6:44 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 11 wont render work area???

cyrax037 Level 1

Hi, I'm having an issue with Premiere Elements 11.  I'm workng on a video project, and I need to render my timeline for smooth preview playback, but everytime I hit render, it just plays the timeline, without rendering anything.  That little box doesn't come up or anything.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 wont render work area???
          A.T. Romano Level 7

cyrax037

For now I will assume that your Premiere Elements 11 is on Windows 7 or 8 64bit.

I could ask you about your source media properties and the project preset that you have set for your projects, but I will cut to the core of this.

When you are looking at the Timeline content that you want to render, does the content have no colored line over it, an orange line over it, or a green line over it? If the line is "no colored line" or "green", you cannot render the Timeline content....only when the orange line is over the Timeline. Once you edit content with the "no colored line" or "green" line over the content, the line will turn orange with all the implications that you need to render the Timeline content in order to get the best possible preview.

This color indicator system is for previewing purposes. And, the color of the line over the content indicates if the program believes you have the best possible preview that you are going to get under the circumstances.

Let us get more details on your specific situation and then decide what next if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 wont render work area???
            cyrax037 Level 1

Yes, win 7 64 bit.

The footage is from an Iphone using the FiLMiCClassic video app. 

And no, there is no orange bar above them.  Well, let me take that back,  a couple of the clips do and render, while most wont.  Idk why as there is no differnce in source.

Elements 11 does not let me adjust many project settings. Its all automatic. (Something I am not fond of btw)

However, I was able to get a work a round.  I was able to export each clip again, and them bring back in the time line and while they still wont render,  the playback is much smoother on my system, allowing me to edit like I need to.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 wont render work area???
              A.T. Romano Level 7

cyrax037

For the couple that do have the orange line and rendered, that is normal. And, you are saying there are those with orange line over content, that will not? And, they are all supposed to be the same footage?

There are gray tabs in the WorkArea Bar above the Timeline. They should be spanning the content on the Timeline. Is any of your Timeline content no being spanned by the setting of these gray tabs of the WorkArea Bar?.

As for your workaround, what is your export choice and settings so that you get footage for a subsequent project, footage that performed better than the original?

Have you taken the time to look at the properties that you are putting on the Timeline, such as, video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, progressive or interlaced, file extension, pixel aspect ratio and such? Your App needs some looking at. Does that iPhone have a variable frame rate? Lots of questions that may or may not have anything to do with this specific rendering issue, but probably do as regards the prognosis for your overall project.

If you have a screenshot of the Timeline track content that will not render (with the orange line over them), please post in your next post. It would be helpful to review your overall Timeline setup. Also, check the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder in the Adobe Folder/Premiere Elements/11.0 in Documents area to make sure you do not have a pile up of preview files.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11 wont render work area???
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>footage is from an Iphone

Iphone won't edit easily because it uses a variable frame rate

- A possible fix in message #22 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/934466

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11 wont render work area???
                  cyrax037 Level 1

For the couple that do have the orange line and rendered, that is normal. And, you are saying there are those with orange line over content, that will not? And, they are all supposed to be the same footage?

No, the ones that have the orange line as normal WILL render as normal.

There are several clips for this video, all recorded with the same settings with the same camera, but only 1 or 2 that will render properly. The others have no orange bar at the top like they should.

There are gray tabs in the WorkArea Bar above the Timeline. They should be spanning the content on the Timeline. Is any of your Timeline content no being spanned by the setting of these gray tabs of the WorkArea Bar?.

I'm afraid you lost me there. I'm not sure what you mean by "spanning'". 

As for your workaround, what is your export choice and settings so that you get footage for a subsequent project, footage that performed better than the original?

720P 29.97, H.264, AAC 48kHz  in quicktime format.

It renderd pretty much lossless (or if there is loss its so subtle that I can't see it)  But apperantly my system can handle it better that way then it can footage right off the iphone.

Have you taken the time to look at the properties that you are putting on the Timeline, such as, video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, progressive or interlaced, file extension, pixel aspect ratio and such? Your App needs some looking at. Does that iPhone have a variable frame rate? Lots of questions that may or may not have anything to do with this specific rendering issue, but probably do as regards the prognosis for your overall project.

The setting on my app is "1280x720" resolution, and 30 fps.  I can adjust fps down all the way to 1fps if I want to (idk why I'd want to do that, lol)  but I normaly shoot at 30, and thats what these where shot at.

If you have a screenshot of the Timeline track content that will not render (with the orange line over them), please post in your next post. It would be helpful to review your overall Timeline setup.

http://imageshack.com/a/img545/1383/eb68.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img266/6277/94g3.jpg

Hope that helps.

Iphone won't edit easily because it uses a variable frame rate

- A possible fix in message #22

Well, the app is set for 30fps.  Besides, that fix wont work cuz I don't have quicktime pro.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11 wont render work area???
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

cyraxo37

Thanks for the screenshots very helpful.

What you are showing is Timeline content with no orange line OVER it. That clip will never render because the

no colored line status over it is the program telling you that you have the best possible preview that you are ever

going to get on that file on that Timeline. It is the program's judgment whether it is or is not giving you the best possible preview of a particular clip.

I suspect the orange line that you are looking at is the video track content "rubberband" which in this instance would be representing Opacity.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-video-and-audio-track-rubberband.html

Before I forget...about those tiny gray tabs that are supposed to span the Timeline content. They are not doing that for the whole clip in the screenshot shown. So, you will not get rendering on anything beyond the right one even if you have an orange line above all of that video clip. If the whole video clip had the orange line, you would get rendering (orange to green line) from 00;00;00;00 to what looks like 00;00;05;00. Look to the gray horizontal strip (has the timecodes on it) above the Timeline section. And look for the gray tabs at the times just mentioned..

I will post some screenshots if the above and the following do not help to clarify "orange line" and changing project settings once set.

The Adobe party line is that you cannot change project settings that you have in mind once they have been set and you are in the opened project with your Edit Menu/Project Settings/. But, I have shown that in certain instance you can.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-changing-project-settings-without.html

In most instances, it is probably just as easy to start a new project with the project preset that matches the properties of your source media.

If your problem were more audio out of sync I might buy into the QuickTime Pro setting a fixed frame rate. But, until I know that you are working with a project preset and project settings that match the properties of your source media, I will not go there. I feel that it is often overrated as a generalization. I have looked at iPhone5 in this regard to come to this conclusion.

If you do not have a good handle on the properties of your source media, you can get properties readout for them from free programs such as MediaInfo and gpot codec utility.

Please let me know if you need clarification on anything that I have written. I will re-write if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11 wont render work area???
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

cyrax037

Just an add on regarding setting the gray tabs of the WorkArea Bar.

Move the Timeline Indicator to the start of the segment involved.

Hold down the Alt key of the computer main key board as you click on the left bracket key [

then

Move the Timeline Indicator to the end of the segment involved.

Hold down the Alt key of the computer main key board as you click on the right bracket key ]

Typically those gray tabs will adjust automatically. But, in certain cases, they do not. If you did not

want to use the shortcuts mentioned above, you can use the mouse cursor to move them in

place so that they span the Timeline content wanted.

ATR