9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2013 10:26 AM by TacoRye

Adobe: Please fix the spacebar cut in multi-camera editing!!

TacoRye

Dear Adobe,

Please fix the BUG which makes a cut in your multi-camera sequence when you hit the spacebar!  This is extremely annoying!!

Thanks!

Former FCP User

- Ryan

• 1. Re: Adobe: Please fix the spacebar cut in multi-camera editing!!
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Ryan,

You must be using Premiere Pro CS6, or earlier. We changed the behavior in Premiere Pro CC. Now, it does not make an edit on Stop.

It is suggested that you make all your cuts on the fly without hitting Stop. Then, go back with the Rolling Edit tool to make adjustments. Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 2. Re: Adobe: Please fix the spacebar cut in multi-camera editing!!
            TacoRye Level 1

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the response.

I am using Production Premium CS 6.

How is it only fixed on the Creative Cloud and not on CS6?

Is it possible make this fix in the next CS6 update?  Will there be anymore CS6 updates?

Please advise, as having to work around this BUG is very annoying and time consuming. 

Thanks!

-Ryan

• 3. Re: Adobe: Please fix the spacebar cut in multi-camera editing!!

Hi TacoRye,

The way it worked previously in CS6 was "as designed," so it's not technically a bug (although it seems like one if you are coming from FCP multicam behavior, as I also did). 

As soon as we had an influx of FCP switchers, we began to get a lot of feature requests for Premiere Pro to behave more similarly to FCP when it comes to multicam (and many other things). This was one of those features that got changed.

We are only doing bug fixes for CS6 going forward, and will not be changing or adding any features like the one you want. Sorry.

If you search through the forums regarding "Multicam is broken in CS6." You'll find that a number of editors (particularly FCP switchers) feel as you do about multicamera editing in CS6. There are also those old school Premiere Pro guys that really don't understand the uproar. Forgive me if it seems as I've covered this ground before. I have. Extensively.

We did the best we could by making that a feature in Premiere Pro CC. I know that's probably not a satisfactory answer for you, but it's the best I can do.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 4. Re: Adobe: Please fix the spacebar cut in multi-camera editing!!
                shooternz Level 6

As soon as we had an influx of FCP switchers, we began to get a lot of feature requests for Premiere Pro to behave more similarly to FCP

Whilst ignoring the FR's of the loyal, faithful and longtime users.

Dont think we didnt notice Kevin...and we have not forgotten yet.  

• 5. Re: Adobe: Please fix the spacebar cut in multi-camera editing!!

Hey shooternz,

We love our ol' skool guys too! Sorry if some of the changes over the past few versions prevented some of your previous workflows.

K.

• 6. Re: Adobe: Please fix the spacebar cut in multi-camera editing!!
                    shooternz Level 6

Actually every Premiere version has got better for me ...despite those invading FCP hordes and the priority given their rants and desires.

"why cant Premiere work like FCP"

Translated

"I want to change to some thing exactly like I just left  behind"

• 7. Re: Adobe: Please fix the spacebar cut in multi-camera editing!!
                      TacoRye Level 1

Kevin,

Thanks for your information.  As there is plenty to like about Premiere. 

Although I don't ask for Premiere to function like FCP, the space bar cut seems like a mistake, more than a feature.

I do a lot of multi-camera editing.  Would I be better off in CC?

Thanks again all!!

• 8. Re: Adobe: Please fix the spacebar cut in multi-camera editing!!
                        DMH79 Level 2

(imagine the opening of Thriller with the door creaking open and footsteps...you've awoken a sleeping giant...well, not sleeping, recovering actually)

Hi TacoRye.

Welcome to the club. When I saw this post, my eye twitched, my shoulders tensed up and I was brought back to a time (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4714549#4714549) when hitting stop did things that were wrong...just wrong. But as one who's been shut down and locked out of that topic, I'll kindly say that yes, multicam is a bit more enjoyable and free of that design flaw in Premiere CC. In fact, you'll probably like it for a few more things in CC as it's true that they have implemented several FCP favorites in the recent releases that even old schoolers probably say "hmmm, well now this is useful". I was a convert to CS6 from FCP this time last year and open to new things but that stop/pause issue drove me nuts. But it's fixed now in CC. And although I'm dealing with equally frustrating issues in CC on a daily basis unrelated to multcam, unless you use Warp Stabilizer a lot you probably won't experience them. All new software will have its bugs, etc. and I'm still holding out hope that the upcoming release will fix these issues. I have faith. Lots of exciting new features are coming in the next week or so which is all nice and good, but if the actual issues and bugs are fixed, I for one will be even happier.

Bottom line: I encourage you to update to Premiere CC if you do a lot of multicam. Just be sure to update to at least 7.0.1 (the current version as of this post) because the regular 7.0.0 version has a pretty awful multicam bug unrelated to the CS6 thing.

Enjoy...and don't be scared.

(exit with sound of that guy from Thriller laughing...door shuts)

• 9. Re: Adobe: Please fix the spacebar cut in multi-camera editing!!
                          TacoRye Level 1

Thanks DMH!

I just ran into another issue,  I am told CC only works on OSX 10.7 and higher.  Which means my systems all need a operating system update, which often brings on a whole bunch of other issues. 

I suppose I am just working through the growing pains of FCP - PP.   As I noticed you did from the link you shared.

Thanks for everyones help!

- Ryan

Slowly converting to PP