10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 7:55 PM by Jon_dawell

Lasso Tool Auto Completes

Jon_dawell

While using the Lasso tool often (10% of the time) it will complete the selection pre-maturely, with a single left click. Similarly and about the same frequency it wont start a path at all and I will need to click again to begin the selection. This has been happening for 5months since I upgraded to Creative Clous and Photoshop CC. Im running a more than capable machine.

Is there any known resolution for this?

Thanks,

Jonathan Connor

• 1. Re: Lasso Tool Auto Completes
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Hi Jonathon.  You are certainly not the first person to have this problem.  Some workarounds here

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/954277

• 2. Re: Lasso Tool Auto Completes
            Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Believe it or not, but the lasso tool has been improved in CC.  In CS6 and earlier, it was horrible about closing by accident or not closing.  To close a selection, you can either hit "Enter" or ctrl/cmd click.  The sensitivity has also been adjusted so that it will not close if the mouse moves and two click happen close together - a big problem before.  Now the mouse has to be in the same position and double clicked to close the selection.  So if you're getting this accidental closing with CC, most likely you're double clicking and not moving the mouse, or the sensitivity of you pen is such that it sends a double click.

• 3. Re: Lasso Tool Auto Completes
              Jon_dawell Level 1

Thanks Trevor,

unfortunately nothing in that thread actually helps. Ive read through other posts of the same problem but they seem to get lost in bizarre or tedious work arounds - rather than an actual solution. Im happy continuing on by adding to my selection or starting over as a ' if I have to work-around '. Yet I hope someone, somewhere, someday soon finds a final solution.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Lasso Tool Auto Completes
                Jon_dawell Level 1

Thanks csuebele,

I have noticed the much improved double click sensitivity, but what I am experiencing is definitely not related to that I could click 1000 pixels a part with 5sec in between clicks and this error will occur. 

I can safely say what is happening is not a user error with a known function of the lasso tool.

• 5. Re: Lasso Tool Auto Completes

What is your input device?  I sometimes use a laptop that the touch pad is so sensitive that it will click on links with my finder just near the pad, same for my Wacom at times. 

• 6. Re: Lasso Tool Auto Completes
                    Jon_dawell Level 1

I use an Apple Magic Mouse.

• 7. Re: Lasso Tool Auto Completes

I'm not familiar with the magic mouse, but I did a quick search on it.  It looks like it could have the issues I mentioned above about being over sensitive.  Have you had this issue with a regualar mouse - if you still have one?

• 8. Re: Lasso Tool Auto Completes
                        Jon_dawell Level 1

It is a possibility that it is something to do with my mouse but its not a sensitivity issue. I probably should have mentioned this - when I make the click that is about to close the path the lasso line ends at the last anchor leaving my mouse to roam away from the path and the path is still visible from the last anchor point without making a selection (yet) and it isnt until my next click the selection is made. I have just found if I hold space bar use the drag screen tool(hand tool) when I let go my path reconnects to the cursor and I can continue on as normal. So this would be another work around but not a fix. Any idea what is causing this with this information?

I am unsure if a regular mouse does this or not I will grab one tomorrow and try it, but I dont expect it to change things somehow.

Thanks for your help.

• 9. Re: Lasso Tool Auto Completes

I'm not sure what would be causing this, but with these new input devices they can cause issues.  I'm on a Windows system, and it has caused all sorts of issues with my Wacom when they added touch screen features and their own tablet controler.  This might be an issue that Adobe has to address, but it might be a case of each side saying the other's at fault.

• 10. Re: Lasso Tool Auto Completes
                            Jon_dawell Level 1

Yes that seems to be the case.

I can replicate this fault by right clicking my mouse - but I know Im not doing that while im making a selection.