8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2013 9:01 AM by A.T. Romano

Filename

Gilles13

How can i convert a prel filename to an MPEG ?

Thank U .

G..

• 1. Re: Filename
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your .prel is a project file, not a video file... your project file contains the information and commands you have given Premiere Elements

The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help... especially the links for SHARING information

Premiere Elements FAQ List (2 pages of FAQ as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_faq?view=all

Premiere Elements TIPS List (6 pages of Tips as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_tips?view=all

• 2. Re: Filename
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Gilles13

To elaborate a bit on the input John T. Smith just gave you....

If you have a project.prel file, that is the project file for Premiere Elements. What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?

If you have imported media into the project and want to get a .mpeg file out of, then you export the Timeline content to that file type using one of the Share/Publish+Share opportunities. You do not change file extension as you suggest from .prel to .mpeg.

But, a just in case note since I do not know your experience in this area, .mpeg is just a file extension that wraps the video and audio compressons of the file. Some major considerations when you are using Premiere Elements to process your source media

a. What are the properties of the source media (video and audio compression, frame rate, progressive or interlaced, etc)?

b. What project preset did you set to match the properties of your source media?

c. What type of .mpeg file do you need (compression, frame size, frame rate, etc) for the type of viewing of the intended end product?

Please review the above and fill us in on the details that will help us to help you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Filename
              Gilles13 Level 1

Hi Mr Romano , as U can see I just bought Premiere element 11 and I am " Green " all the way on this one ..LOL..I downloaded files from my Panasonic ™-900 in 1080 X60p . I have no problem editing my video . I encounter problems when I want to burn it on a DVD to play it on my Blue Ray or my regular DVD player. My platform is  ( Apple Retina ) , OSX 10.8.5 and after I rendered the prel. filename it works well on my computer with Quick time of course. but not at all on  any DVD players. On another attempt , I did select " Publish & Share " < Computer  : MPEG  then preset HDTV 1080p25 High quality . It did return the Extension .mpg

once burned i tried it on my 2 players to no avail …!  (it plays superb on my computer )All I want is to play it on my TV  Smiles

Rgds

Thank u

Gillis

• 4. Re: Filename
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Gillis

Contrary to what you wrote, you seem to be making great progress with a program that is known for it steep learning curve.

If your source media are 1920 x 1080p60, I hope that you have been using the project preset of NTSC/AVCHD/AVCHD 1080p60. Premiere Elements 11 is set to do an automatic set for that. Sometimes it does that OK; sometimes not.

To check what the program has set automatically, see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and what is set for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size. If that does not match your source media and you have ended up with the program default for NTSC (NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD 1080i30), then you set the project preset yourself manually before you import your source media. To do that, go to File Menu/New/Project, select your 1080p60 project preset, put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project", and then exit the new project dialog. Then import your source media with the program's Add Menu/Files and Folders to get them into Project Assets. From Project Assets, your drag your file(s) to the Expert workspace Timeline. But, I suspect that you know most of that already. Consider the above, just in case notes.

Does your TV have an SD slot or USB port? How about an AVCHD.mp4 file on one of those...with enough capacity to handle the job? What do the specifications of your TV say about all that?

ATR

• 5. Re: Filename
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Gilles13,

Perhaps this article can give you a bit more background on the Project files, the PREL files: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3397716#3397716

Understanding what the PREL file is, and what it is not, is a great first step in understanding PrE.

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Filename
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Gilles13

Based on what you wrote, you do not seem to be having a problem with the concept of the Premiere Elements project file (referred to as the project.prel) but rather the program's settings and the choice of import and exports..in general the workflows. To dig deeper into project files as files would take you into reading Notepad document of the saved project.prel.

To get a great overview of Premiere Elements 11, please start with the Premiere Elements 11 Help PDF. Any questions from what is written there, please do not hesitate to ask. But, whatever needs clarification, please include details which will help us to help you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Filename
                      Gilles13 Level 1

Good day Mr Romano , I thank U for your patience lol  I am doing a lot of reading about files name extensions  . I realise , I will need a converter to play the MTS , .m2TS , M4V  on the blue ray  & Panasonic TV . I also discovered the Panasonic  reads ACVHD from the SD card ( As per your suggestion ) , my next task is to convert a .Prel  from Premiere Ele…..to a useful file name   smiles

Have  great week end ..

Cheers

Gillis

• 8. Re: Filename
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Gilles

Thanks for the update.

I suspect that others are focusing in on "convert" and "prel" in your posts when you write...

my next task is to convert a .Prel  from Premiere Ele…..to a useful file name

Based on a complete read of everything that you posted, I am understanding that you are saying that you need to get your Timeline out of the project.prel file and into an export with a file type that supports your viewing choice.

If you have not already, please check the specifications of the Blu-ray and Panasonic TV so that you are targeting the best possible choice of export choice. In this type of matter, the type of disc/media on which the video format exists is also as important as the type of format on that disc/media.

Lots ot explore and experiment with. But, sounds like progress.

If you need any suggestions on exports choices or the workflow set up, please let us know. Do not hesitate to let us know if I have misinterpreted anything that you have written.

Success with your projects.

ATR