16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2013 11:19 AM by A.T. Romano

Cannot get VOB files from home movie DVD in drive.

DSwiney Level 1

I am a brand new user, and this is my first project. I had home movies converted to DVD, which I now want to edit. I am trying to "add media" directly from the DVD in the drive.

• 1. Re: Cannot get VOB files from home movie DVD in drive.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say which version of the program you're using but:

Put the DVD in PC's DVD drive and then Premiere Elements' Add Media/From PC DVD to rip the video from the video into your Premiere Elements project.

• 2. Re: Cannot get VOB files from home movie DVD in drive.
            DSwiney Level 1

I appreciate the response, but that is exactly what I am doing. I am using Premiere Elements 11 for the first time.  I put the video DVD in the drive and under "Add Media," I choose "from computer/DVD drive," but the file never imports.  It just "spins" forever, until I manually stop it. It is also not saving the video to my hard drive, which I thought it was supposed to do as part of this process. 

• 3. Re: Cannot get VOB files from home movie DVD in drive.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

DSwiney

There have been several threads recently which appear to have overlooked the details of the Video Importer dialog Save In, and VOB ripping has failed.

If you rip VOBs from the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc for the first time and you leave the Video Importer Save In at the default "Videos/My Videos", your VOBs will be saved at that location. The VOBs will have the VTS_01_1.VOB as well as additional files of this type depending on the length of the video. When you go to do VOB ripping from subsequent DVD-VIDEO on the next DVD disc, you are likely to run into a message something like "cannot do, files are already imported" when you know they have not for this particular DVD.

The reason for that message is that these files on DVD disc 1 and 2 have the same file names.

To overcome this particular problem, the suggestion is beforehand to create folders named for DVD 1 and DVD 2 in the location of choice and then, in the Video Importer Save In, set that to the appropriate folder for saving.

Please let us know if that targets your question.

And, to expedite matters, please give details, starting with the version of Premiere Elements being used and the operating system on which it is being used.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Cannot get VOB files from home movie DVD in drive.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

DSwiney

I did not see your details to SG until after I had posted my post.

Since you have not gotten to the Video Importer Save In, I will step back for the moment and so that SG can respond to your latest supplied information.

More later if as appropriate.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Cannot get VOB files from home movie DVD in drive.
                  DSwiney Level 1

Thanks for replying.  I'm using Version 11 with Vista. This is the first DVD I've tried to import/rip, so I don't think it is a file saving/naming issue, since there are few files saved on my hard drive and none with similar names. I was able to import another file from my hard drive, but I can't seem to get anything from the DVD in the DVD drive.

• 6. Re: Cannot get VOB files from home movie DVD in drive.
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>can't seem to get anything from the DVD in the DVD drive

Does it work if you use WinExplorer to copy the VOB files to a folder on your hard drive, and then import from there?

If that works, you MAY have a problem with PE being able to "see" the DVD drive due to other software getting in the way

Some reading on that, IF manually copying the VOB files to your hard drive lets you import from that hard drive location

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a disc... says Encore, but also applies to Premiere Elements and disc burning

Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660

#2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus http://forums.adobe.com/thread/562941

• 7. Re: Cannot get VOB files from home movie DVD in drive.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

DSwiney

While we are waiting for SG to continue your discussion with him, you may want to check out the following and then include the results in your follow up response to him.

1. What do you see if you put the DVD disc in question in the DVD drive and then explore the disc content. Do you see the OpenDVD Folder and VIDEO_TS Folder? If you open the VIDEO_TS Folder, what do you see in the way of video files for

VTS_01_1.VOB

VTS_01_2.VOB

and so on?

If you double click the VTS_01_1.VOB, can you get playback of that video file on one of your computer players?

2. Have you tried the VOB ripping with another DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

ATR

• 8. Re: Cannot get VOB files from home movie DVD in drive.
                        DSwiney Level 1

I haven't tried saving the VOB files to my hard drive other than through PE11, but I will give that a shot.  Thanks!

• 9. Re: Cannot get VOB files from home movie DVD in drive.
                          DSwiney Level 1

I can see the files you reference.  When I'm trying to import into PE11 from the DVD, I also see those files on the PE11 screen (one with a filmstrip icon and the other 4 with hourglass icons).  I check all of them for import, which may not be correct. Also, I can play an individual VOB file using Windows Media Player.  I have not tried another DVD disc but will do so.  All of the discs I have are formatted the same, as they were "professional" conversions of home movie tapes/reels to DVD.

• 10. Re: Cannot get VOB files from home movie DVD in drive.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

DSwiney

After you place this DVD in the DVD burner tray and select the Premiere Elements Add Media/DVD..... category, are you getting to the Video Importer that looks like this....

VideoImporter.JPG

With this first DVD, are you at the point where you are seeing thumbnails in space to the left of the dialog?

Put a check next to only those VTS_01_1.VOB series, not after the rest. Sometimes the thumbnails take a while

to reveal an image within them. Give that some time. With a check next to Add to Timeline and an appropriate Save In (as described before and with enough hard drive space to accept the saves), click on Get Media. Do you get the checked VOBs into Premiere Elements 11?

ATR

• 11. Re: Cannot get VOB files from home movie DVD in drive.
                              DSwiney Level 1

I do get the Video Importer and get the thumbnails but only with icons, not actual images. I also can't see anything in "preview" if I click a thumbnail.  I think the "Save In" is correct, but I don't think I see "Add to Timeline."  (Maybe you have a different version?)  Unfortunately, I am away from my computer until this evening (sorry!), so cannot verify this.  I checked all the thumbnails, but I can't remember if all were VTS_01_1.VOB, etc.  I will try all of this before asking for more help.

Thanks so much for all the advice!

• 12. Re: Cannot get VOB files from home movie DVD in drive.

On the Video Importer page, did you set Source to your DVD drive?

• 13. Re: Cannot get VOB files from home movie DVD in drive.
                                  DSwiney Level 1

Yes, I did choose DVD drive.  I thought I was doing all the steps correctly (but getting no results), but I will review all this evening and try again with the help everyone has provided.  If it still fails, I'll be back on here!  Thanks.

• 14. Re: Cannot get VOB files from home movie DVD in drive.

Here's how it will look when you've selected your disc drive.

Of course, we're assuming that the company that captured your video saved it as a standard, playable DVD and not as some other video format.DVDImporter.jpg

• 15. Re: Cannot get VOB files from home movie DVD in drive.
                                      DSwiney Level 1

I was never able to import the files from the DVD, but I copied and saved the files to my hard drive and dragged them into the timeline, which worked.  I will try to import from DVD when I am less pressed for time (since I have about a dozen DVDs with home movies).  Part of the problem may be that I'm working with multiple VOB files at .99 Gb each, and the discs are almost full. I had also checked a file that was not VOB.  Finally, my computer is not the world's fastest!

Thanks to all for the advice.

• 16. Re: Cannot get VOB files from home movie DVD in drive.
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

DSwiney

Thanks for the follow up.

When things settle down, please revisit the ripping of the DVDs with the Add Media route.

But, if you have a workflow that is working and you are pressed for time, I understand.

We will watch for further developments when you get a chance.

Success with your project(s).

ATR