10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2013 9:27 AM by Curt Y

Autorecovery in Photoshop CS6

Lionezzz Level 1

I use PS CS6 on a Win7 64bit machine.

I noticed several users having issues with the autorecovery in PS. I had some too in the past, and just yesterday I had a PS crashing a couple of times too. The error seemed to be related to the facial recognizing .dll  Searching the forum, I had hoped that in the mean time this issue would have been solved, but I couldn't find any satisfying answers.

So I ran a bit of a test with a new file and noticed that in the file's history in bridge, it says the file is being autosaved to the correct folder. However, the PSAutorecovery folder is empty.

So is the one found under the User/AppData path.

I have full access to the folder (admin as well as user), it's safe to say that can't be the problem either.

When opening PS there is a big temp file on the D:/ drive (designated scratch drive). This file disappears when PS is closed. I have no clue if this interferes with the autosaving too.

Hereafter two screenshots :

1. Bridge history on the file as explained

autorecoverdata_in_bridge_history.jpg

2. Empty PSAutorecover on D:/

http://users.telenet.be/Lionezz/Adobe/PSAutorecover_emptymap.jpg

After I did these, I deleted the PSAutoRecover file on D:/. I set the scratch disc to C:/, closed PS, reopened it and set the scratch disc back to D:/. The PSAutoRecover folder reapeared with today's date.

I started a file from scratch, added colour, text etc. Again the Bridge history claims to have saved to the D:/PSAutoRecover file, again the folder is empty.  I also watched my screen for like 10 minutes and no saving seems to be going on in the background whatsoever. But... when I save manually, suddenly the history in bridge is updated with a list of .psb files. Alas, still nothing shows in the recovery folder.

Am I missing something, because if I am, I really would like to know what that could be. Did some of the updates mess the system up ? Because I do remember it working a long long time ago, when I first had CS6. And then it stopped.

• 1. Re: Autorecovery in Photoshop CS6
          Curt Y Level 7

I don't think Bridge has an autorecovery feature, only Photoshop.

• 2. Re: Autorecovery in Photoshop CS6
            Noel Carboni Level 8

There were reports on the forum quite a long time ago of auto-saves not working unless the scratch drive was pointed to the system drive.  I remember trying to duplicate the problem and finding that on my system (Windows 7) I had no problem with the autosave files going to a drive other than C:.

I don't recall whether there was any resolution.  But it gives you something to experiment with.

-Noel

• 3. Re: Autorecovery in Photoshop CS6
              Lionezzz Level 1

@Curt,

Bridge doesn't have autorecovery but it does seem to keep track of changes that are made to the files as it adds a 'history' - see screenshot. The screenshot shows it's making an autorecovery file but as I said, it doesn't work.

@Noel

Thank you for replying and and no it doesn't work on C:/ either. In any case, my C:/ is dedicated to program/system stuff only and I don't want anything else there. I have read other people did not have issues and could not reproduce it either. My best guess : somehow I got some software interfering with it. And I still haven't found what it could be. So now I'm just saving my work every single time I make a change - it's lame, but better than having to start all over again.

• 4. Re: Autorecovery in Photoshop CS6
                Noel Carboni Level 8

Only other thing I could think of to try...

Even though you see an empty PSAutoRecover folder, have you gone all the way through the motions of changing a document, waiting until you're sure there's been enough time, then killing the Photoshop.exe process through Task Manager?  You'd want to see if any recovered document showed up when next you started Photoshop again. 

I only mention this on the outside chance maybe it's actually saving the data somewhere unexpected and you're not noticing it.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Autorecovery in Photoshop CS6
                  Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

This is an interesting thread.  I have only once had the need to resort to auto recovery, and the folder was empty so I was out of luck.  I haven't test it since though.

• 6. Re: Autorecovery in Photoshop CS6
                    Lionezzz Level 1

Hi guys,

@Noel

The autosave is set to every 5 minutes. As I said in my opening post, I sat watching the screen (after making random changes to the picture of course) for about 10 minutes. Normally you would see the autosave at work iirc but nothing happened. Only when I refreshed bridge, the history tab there would show a number of .psb (the format PS uses for autosave) files that according to bridge had being saved  as you can see in the screenshot. Still an empty D:/ folder. I did not however terminate through the task manager, interesting point, I will try that later.

I've set the scratch file to C:/ and again the history tab in Bridge states the files are being saved to the Autorecover directory under the Users/AppData  path, but there also everything is empty. BTW I turned on 'show hidden files etc" too hoping they were just 'hidden' by the system. No luck there either.

Another thing that crossed my mind is the question if there's a size limit to those autosave .psb files. It wouldn't make any sense, but what if ?  I guess no Adobe guys ever take a peek here, do they ?

A second thing I though off, was some other software interfering or a windows setting that doesn't agree with PS's autorecover function. Tbh, that is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I turned off some services I suspect might interfere, so that's included in the next testrun too.

In the meantime I haven't had any crashes anymore and for now I'm confident the problem of the crashes themselves was due to the latest Nvidia driver. That at least I could solve with a rollback to an older version I'll keep you posted as soon as I've tested the rest. And I'm saving manually everytime I make a change, safest option atm.

• 7. Re: Autorecovery in Photoshop CS6
                      Curt Y Level 7

Lionezzz,  Here is my analysis for what it is worth.

I don't know if the edit history you see in Bridge metadata is not the same file that saves to AutoRecovery. 

I made edits to my picture, waited the 5 min. and went to the AutoRecovery file  on my scratch disk,  which is an internal O drive.  It was there.  Then I went to the file AutoRecovery in Users/AppData path.  It is empty.   

Summary, the AutoRecovery is at the location you have your scratch disk, not in AppData.  For me does not have to be on C:.

• 8. Re: Autorecovery in Photoshop CS6
                        Lionezzz Level 1

@Curt

I think you misunderstand what I'm trying to say. In Photoshop preferences, you get a choice where you want your scratch drive to be. By default it would be the C: system drive. When your scratchfile is on C: the autorecover file is placed in the  user's AppData path (see screenshots below). Bridge seems to keep a history of what is happening to the file opened in Photoshop, hence that's what you see under the bridge history tab (which only appears while working on the file and having saved it manually at least once).

If I understand correctly, your secondary drive is called O:/  and in the preferences you point PS towards it to use as a scratch drive. Hence it's normal that you will not find a saved file under the AppData path on C:/ since you point PS to the O:/ drive as a scratchdrive. My second drive is D:/ but could as well be called X, Y or Z, that depends on how you set your drives up. But when I point PS to go and make the autosaves on D:/ it doesn't work, not for me in any case.

@Noel

As I said I set the scratch file to C:/ again and this morning while working, I kept track of the changes. Again, the history in Bridge showed that the file was being saved,  to the User/AppData path.

Screenshot with path highlighted :

Bridge autorecover history.jpg

When I opened the Autorecover file under that path, the autorecover file was indeed present :

autorecover on C.jpg

I didn't think of terminating PS at that point to check if the autorecovery would work, but the fact that the file was there, makes me assume it would.

Next I returned the settings to D:/ , closed PS and restarted. And ... yup, Bridge history tells me it's being saved but the PSAutoRecover file is dead empty. Terminating PS via Task Panel didn't issue any recovery.

• 9. Re: Autorecovery in Photoshop CS6
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

As a very general observation - and I know this sounds almost naive - things always just seem to work better on drive C:.

That's a lifetime of career experience with Microsoft operating systems and Windows applications talking.

This is why I built a big SSD array and boot/run/do everything on C:.  I have few problems and my system runs more stably than most.

-Noel

• 10. Re: Autorecovery in Photoshop CS6
                            Curt Y Level 7

Lionezzz wrote:

I think you misunderstand what I'm trying to say.   When your scratchfile is on C: the autorecover file is placed in the  user's AppData path (see screenshots below). Bridge seems to keep a history of what is happening to the file opened in Photoshop, hence that's what you see under the bridge history tab (which only appears while working on the file and having saved it manually at least once).

No I did not misunderstand.  I have an AutoRecovery folder in the AppData path, it is just empty.  An yes, my scratch drive is a secondary drive lableled O.  The autorecovery file becomes present after the specified time, you do not have to crash PS to see it.