15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2013 1:53 PM by A.T. Romano

imported video files with existing soundtrack

ag9323

I imported AVI files that were created from no-sound 8mm films and the company that did this transfer added a music soundtrack.  When I clipped / edited the imported AVI files the music soundtrack was also clipped / edited meaning it is not consistent.  How do I mute the AVI soundtrack and then add a Premiere music track in it's place?

• 1. Re: imported video files with existing soundtrack
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ag9323

Always important to give version of Premiere Elements in use as well as the computer operating system on which it is running.

You should be able to right click the video on the Timeline and select Delete Audio and then drag in your replacement audio.

Does that work for you?

We will be watching for the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: imported video files with existing soundtrack
            ag9323 Level 1

Thank you for your response. Sorry, I am using PE11 on Windows Vista system. Per your suggestion I was able to delete the existing soundtrack segments. But when I dragged a PE11 music file onto the timeline I only get an 11 second segment ... I tried to drag extend the music segment for the full length of the video, approx. 15 minutes, but the music segment will not extend ... I can shorten it but not extend it. Any suggestions?

• 3. Re: imported video files with existing soundtrack
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ag9323

Thanks for the follow up.

Looks like we are going to need more details on this music file that you are dragging to the Timeline.

What is its duration prior to import into Premiere Elements 11? What is its duration in Project Assets immediately after the Add Media/Files and Folders? What is its duration after it is dragged from Project Assets to the Expert workspace soundtrack or audio track?

Is the music one of the SmartSound/Sonicfire Pro 5 - ET type or not?

Let us start here and then decide what needs to be done without distorting the music and other than dragging the file to the Timeline multiple times.

More later.

ATR

• 4. Re: imported video files with existing soundtrack
                ag9323 Level 1

I am dragging the music titled "Feature Presentation - Remember" found in the music file on the PE11 action bar. I believe it is the same time length as the sample when you highlight it in the music file. It is also found under the Smart Sound file.

• 5. Re: imported video files with existing soundtrack
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ag9323

Your details were the best possible for a "can do" for this.

Observe from the Expert workspace the exact length of music that you need...00;00;00;00 representing hours;minutes;seconds;frames.

Forget about using the Feature Presentation - Remember in the bunch of music thumbnails under Premiere Elements 11 Music Tab. Instead, Under Music Tab, hit "Use SmartSound". Let the process automatically go to its Sonic Pro 5 - ET interface.

a. Select the free soundtrack Feature Presentaion - Remember.

b. Look to the right column where is say length, and type in the length the you need. Hit Send. That will put that specific length of music on the soundtrack.

Sonic.JPG

In the screenshoot, I set the music duration for 45 seconds.

Your duration changes should not affect the music arrangement according to this SmartSound concept.

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: imported video files with existing soundtrack
                    ag9323 Level 1

Thank you. I will give it a shot and let you know tomorrow. Thanks again.

• 7. Re: imported video files with existing soundtrack
                      ag9323 Level 1

Sorry to bother you, but I did as you directed but I cannot type in the length because it will not highlight. It reads 00;00;30;00. I need to type in 00;31;25;13. What can I do?

• 8. Re: imported video files with existing soundtrack
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

ag9323

No bother. Eager for you to move forward with your project. So, do not hesitate to ask.

Just road tested your specific duration in Premiere Elements 11 Windows. It works. I had a little delay after setting 00:31:25:13 in my Premiere Elements Sonicfire Pro 5 - ET interface, put the soundtrack finally placed automatically on the Premiere Elements 11 soundtrack Expert workspace with a duration of 00:31:25:12.

Try this. take your mouse cursor and click immediately after the second bold 0 of the duration 00:00:00:00. Then backspace twice and type in 31. Then take your mouse cursor and click immediately after the second bold 0 of the duration 00:00;00:00 and type in 25. Then backspace twice and type in 25. Do the same for the last set of 0s.

Did that work for you?

If not, go back to the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace, go to the Music Tab, select Use SmartSound. Let it go directly to the Sonicfire Pro 5 - ET workspace. (Do not get tempted to click on any intermediary pop ups along the way).

Select your free Feature Presentation - Remember from the list. The duration should be 00:00:30:00. Leave it that way and hit Send. Do you get the 30 second soundtrack placed on the Expert workspace soundtrack. I just want to make sure that this is not a problem with the soundtracks there in general.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: imported video files with existing soundtrack
                          ag9323 Level 1

I could not change the length per your suggestion so I went back to PE11 Expert as directed and under music tab I hit Smart Sound and I got into Sonicfire Pro and then the pop-up "Library Update Check" appeared with Available Updates titled "Core Foundations" & "Hit Files" and it is waiting for me to click on "Update Now". Right now I do not know what to do.

• 10. Re: imported video files with existing soundtrack
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

ag9323

For now ignore that message and continue on to what I outlined.

We can always back track later.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: imported video files with existing soundtrack
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

ag9323

If you go through all of the above and still cannot type in your soundtrack duration, you can try that Update message that you just got.

But, if that does not help, then you may have to try the patch update to take that Sonicfire Pro 5 - ET interface to 5.7.5.

http://www.smartsound.com/support/link.php?id=308

ATR

• 12. Re: imported video files with existing soundtrack
                                ag9323 Level 1

I ignored the "update now" request and just canceled out and it took me to the SmartSound Express Track which is where I was previously. Here I scrolled down to the "Feature Presentation" soundtrack and highlighted that and I get some information about the soundtrack but again the length feature on the right side does not highlight as I had previously done and I think I realized why ... I need to "buy" the soundtrack. If that is the case in order to change/fill in the needed time line "00;00;30;00" of the music and then "send" to my video then I can't proceed further because I do not want to buy this music. I thought Premiere Elements 11 included music for the full video. Did I presume wrong?

• 13. Re: imported video files with existing soundtrack
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ag9323

You should not have to buy the Feature Presentation - Remember soundtrack. It has a blue icon which indicates it comes with the program and is free.

At the top of the interface, make sure that you have check mark for "Owned Titles". Then what you see should be all the free soundtracks which should include this one that you want.

Now do the Library Update Check and let the feature update.

If the problem persists, then the two major files that need to have been installed are described:

First

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/installing-smartsound.html

Second

http://www.smartsound.com/support/link.php?id=308

Before all else, make sure of the check mark next to "Owned Titles" and a blue icon to the left of the listing for

Feature Presentation - Remember.

Thanks for the continuing follow up.

ATR

• 14. Re: imported video files with existing soundtrack
                                    ag9323 Level 1

I went back and started over and this time I clicked on the "Update_" as you suggested and waited for awhile but this time the SmartSound Express did not have the "buy" button but had the length highlighted and I typed in the "new" length and the insert button now read "send" so I hit it and the Sonicfire Pro 5 screen appeared and the next thing that happened was the soundtrack appeared at the bottom of the PE11 Expert timeline and now I have a soundtrack for my video ... whew! I wanted to give this as a gift tomorrow. Thank you very much A.T.!

• 15. Re: imported video files with existing soundtrack
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ag9323

The video gift that you are creating and thoughtfulness behind it will be wonderful.

So very pleased with the outcome.

Thanks for the opportunity to help.

The follow up and stick-to-it-tiveness were much appreciated.

ATR