7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2013 2:56 PM by Rick Gerard

Need help identifying icons!

Paul Whitehead Level 1

Hello, i downloaded a template at work for a commercial spot.  I pretty much understand how the project was made and what needs to  be done with it except a few icons i dont understand.  Can anyone tell me what these icons mean in this precomp of text please?  Screen Shot 2013-10-10 at 3.00.54 PM.png

Just having difficulty understanding the different icons from 1 down to 5.  This is what the comp window looks like.

Screen Shot 2013-10-10 at 3.02.26 PM.png

Whoever can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.  The project is finished and the commercial runs fine, but im trying to learn from this template and make my own.  I know those are maybe a few mask icons and such, but not really sure.  so if anyone can explain what 1 through 5 are, that'd be great.

• 1. Re: Need help identifying icons!
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What icons are you referring to? Your screenshot shows a lot of things.

• 2. Re: Need help identifying icons!
            Paul Whitehead Level 1

todd, the icons to the right of the numbers 1 through 5. The black square, the alpha T icon going down.  Its not the red squares, its the squares to the right of the numbers 1 through 5. thanksScreen+Shot+2013-10-10+at+3.00.54+PM.png

• 3. Re: Need help identifying icons!
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

solid-color layer

text layer

track matte

guide layer

You can search for those terms in After Effects Help for more information about each.

Start here to learn After Effects: http://adobe.ly/bjBT3P

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Need help identifying icons!
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

T just means it's a text layer. The alpha stuff you're seeing is becuase one layer is a track matte for another.

• 5. Re: Need help identifying icons!
                  Paul Whitehead Level 1

Thanks, one more thing.  Mind explaining why these would be used in this nature?  I'm just trying to figure out things for my own future way of doing things..  I went through them playing around and couldnt come to a conclusion as to why this is set up the way it is, thanks.

• 6. Re: Need help identifying icons!
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Mind explaining why these would be used in this nature?

Search for the terms in After Effects Help. Read about them. Follow the link that I gave for learning After Effects.

• 7. Re: Need help identifying icons!
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A solid color layer is just that, a layer with a solid color applied. It has no content except the color unless you add a plug-in to render something on the layer.

A text layer is just that, a layer of text

A track Matte is a layer that provides transparency information to the layer directly below it

A guide layer is a layer that can contain anything from footage to graphics that is used for a guide when placing other elements. Guide layers do not render.

The very top layer in your project does not appear to be doing anything It is turned off.

The text layer is also turned off.

The second revealer matte layer is set to provide alpha transparency to the layer below but it is also visible. Again, I don't know what it's doing because I can't see effects applied or other info about your comp. If you want to see what's really going on select all layers and press the U key twice. You'll also need to include the comp window in the screenshot.

The stripe layer is a blue solid with an effect applied that is taking some alpha information from the revealer matte layer.

I'm not sure what the guide layer is showing. You can find out by turning it on and off.

Layers are stacked up exactly the same way they are in Photoshop or when making a collage with a pair of scissors and a bunch of photos or colored paper. Put the background on the bottom then add your elements as required to make your composition.

This is more than basic stuff. Please follow Todd's suggestion and read the getting started materials and feel free to type those terms in AE;'s Search Help field at the top right corner of the App. You'll find lots of info. You can't effectively learn AE by just poking around in it unless you are already very familiar with compositing, layering, mattes, blend modes, and the like. AE is a program that can perform any type of composite or motion graphics you have ever seen in a movie if you have  the right source material and understand how compositing works. Because it's so powerful and versatile you can't effectively just jump in and figure things out without some serious study. You'll be hopelessly lost.