7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2013 4:18 PM by JJMack

Monitor Resolution & CS6 Magnification Level

Doug KH

I'm going to be purchasing a new PC computer system in the near future; which will be loaded with 64-bit Windows 8 or 8.1.  I'm presently using CS5 & CS6, both 64-bit versions, on existing computers that have Windows 7.

My work is photography and I do a LOT of masking.  In order to see what I'm doing while creating masks, I typically use CS5/6 image magnifications of 300% & 400% with a monitor that has 1680x1050 resolution.  On another monitor with 1920x1080 resolution, I have to increase my working space magnification to 400% & 500% to get the same "view size" of my work.  That's because the "view size" decreases as the monitor resolution increases.  My main problem is that CS5/6 will not produce "smooth" images at a magnification over 500%; as the image is pixelated to a degree that I can't accurately cut a mask.  Therefore I need to do my work at magnifications of 500% or less, but I need a "view size" large enough so that I can comfortably see what I'm doing.

For my new system, I'm considering monitors with 2560 horiz resolution.  In order to maintain my on-screen "view size" of the 1680 & 1920 monitors, a 2560 monitor would probably force me to use CS magnifications in excess of 500%.

What can I do such that CS will produce "smooth" (non-pixelated) images at magnifications greater than 500%?  Or...what can I do to make the entire CS window appear larger; so the "view size" of the 2560 resolution monitor is comparable to a lower (1920, for example) resolution monitor?

Thanks    

• 1. Re: Monitor Resolution & CS6 Magnification Level
          Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

at 500% and above, you are seeing the pixels, so if you're creating masks, you wouldn't want to "smooth" out the image.  When I work at that type of magnification, I want to see the jagged image and what the pixels are doing.

• 2. Re: Monitor Resolution & CS6 Magnification Level
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

You lack a bit of knowledge when it come to resolution.  Its not your fault it has more to do with how the loosely the digital imaging community treats the subject. Most users form incorrect concepts.  Printers and Displays have different capabilities when it come to resolution.   Displays look best when run at the resolution the were designed for.  You may have seen the term Native resolution for LCD.  Lets stick with for there are there are very few CRT these days and CRT are more analog then digital.   LCD should be run at their designed resolution.  This means your LCD has a single resolution, a single aspect ratio and a fixed number of pixels.  Often you will see a display resolution listed as UXGA or 1080, or 1600x1200 Pixels this is very confusing.  Loosly these terms are resolutions but strictly speaking they are not for they only address part of resolution the pixel side of the story the rest of resolution is the screen size.  Knowing pixels are square; you know the images aspect ratio  Width Pixels : Height Pixels.  When you then know the screen diagonal length you can calculate  the screen width, height and DPI Resolution.

Digital Images are stored  as so many pixels wide by so many pixels at some DPI resolution.  Printers can print these correctly for printers can print at any  DPI resolution up to it max resolution.  Displays can only display images the have the same resolution as the display's native resolution correctly all other images will be displayed at the wrong size. Displays have a fixed DPI or PPI resolution.

Images do not display the same size on all displays.   The Size is a function of DPI.   Pixels do not have a fixed size.   Every HDTV 1080P screen  displaye 1920x1080 pixels.   You can by screens ranging from 17" to 80"  their DPI sizes are different. 

The Size and Image displays on screen is a function of the Display DPI.     An iPhone, An iPad, A MacBook Pro with retian display, and a Desktop with a 30" 16:10 2560x1600 px can all display  a 4:3 image 800px x 600px without a problem the only difference will be the actual image physical size. The image will be much larger on the desktop display for there are no high resolution desktop displays.  Most desktop displays have a resolution near 100DPI.  It make no difference that the 800px x 600 px Image DPI print resolution is 100DPI and will print 8" x 6".  Its just happenstance that the Desktop display displayed it 8" x 6" and all the others displayed smaller images.

• 3. Re: Monitor Resolution & CS6 Magnification Level
              Noel Carboni Level 8

May I suggest that perhaps the Pixel Grid is showing by default above 500%, which is why you feel you can't deal with magnificatoins larger than that.

Try selecting View - Show - (uncheck) Pixel Grid from the menus.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Monitor Resolution & CS6 Magnification Level
                Doug KH Level 1

Thx for the replies.

Noel, your tip solved my problem; as the "Pixel Grid" was checked.  I unchecked it and the "pixelation" I experienced is now gone.  I've been using PS about 10 years, and I now find this out.  LOL  Better later than never.  Thx so much.

JJ  I've been using computers for a LONG time; as my first Internet browser was Netscape 0.94, and that was a beta!  I do recall many years ago, that after buying my 2nd or 3rd monitor (or or whatever) several years ago that the newer (back then) hi-res monitors really reduced the screen size of apps such as Word, Excel.  The menus were so small that I had to adjust the text boxes/font sizes in Windows control panel for "Display"; so they'd be large enough that I I could read them.  I was aware this had to do with DPI of the monitors and back then, the res went up, but the monitor size didn't change noticably; so the DPI went up which caused the screen size of apps to go down.  That was then, and this is now.  I did some research and found that you are correct about typical monitor DPI.  I found that my present monitors and the new ones I'm looking at have about the same 90-100 DPI.  Difference is that the new hi-res monitor (Dell U3014) I'm looking at is MUCH wider than my present 1680 monitor.

Thx again, Doug      

• 5. Re: Monitor Resolution & CS6 Magnification Level

Its the screen size a desktop 30"  2560x1600  16:10 screen is somewhere near 100DPI  Nexus 10" 2560x1600 16:10 something like 300DPI.

What I would like for my workstation is a screen size like 15" to 17"  2560x1600 with a resolution in the 160DPI range.   Most current UI text would still be readable at 160DPI resolution and images will be much better the 100DPI images.

I may have to settle fo a cintiq 13.3"  1920x1080 they are arounnd 160DPI the  Cintiq 13 HD touch is $1000 and the Cintiq Companion Hybrid is $1500.  For me that a lot of money particularly when you see that the Nexus android tablet with its 10" IPS LCD 2560x1600 is $500.  I want a screen larger then 10"... and one much smaller then 30"....

• 6. Re: Monitor Resolution & CS6 Magnification Level
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

JJ, be careful what you wish for... 160 ppi might be a trifle too dense...

I have an older Dell Inspiron laptop, circa 2004, that sports 1920 x 1200 pixels on a 17 inch display, giving a resultant pixel density of 132 ppi.  That was on the hairy edge of usable with typical Windows fonts (at the time Windows XP).  I did run Photoshop on that machine, and it was usable.

From that expeirience, with 160 ppi resolution I believe you would have to exercise all the "larger font" settings (both in Photoshop and Windows), and you might still find the UI elements uncomfortably small, especially in applications that might not have the ability to "size up".  150ppi might be a better practical target.  I know it only seems like a little difference.

What I'd rather have is gargantuan screen space and 100 ppi, frankly.  I can always lean back in the chair if I want a better overview.

-Noel

• 7. Re: Monitor Resolution & CS6 Magnification Level

My eyes with their replaced man made lens must be better then your's. My ThinkPads Laptops had 15" IPS UXAG LCD  4:3 aspect ratio 1600x1200 pixels at 133DPI  some found text too small on these but I never had any problems.   On a Windows system you can also have Windows scale fonts larger.  However when you do text does not always fit into GUI areas allocate to menu areas  and options bars  item areas.  I'm near sighted and when I lean back in my chair I would have a problem reading text on a 100DPI display for my eyes can not focus at that distance.  When your near sighted you want to get closer to see better and when you do 30" is too big.