10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2013 12:51 PM by SG...

Can't Get CS5 to work on new computer?

John N

Old computer crashed and shop installed Photoshop CS 5 on new computer but only Bridge will work.  When I click on CS 5 icon I get  the message 'Some Application Components are missing from the Applications directory.  Please reinstall the application.'  Tried to use software to install but get indication the Serial Number is invalid.  Chatted with Adobe but they no longer handle S/N problems.  Since I am retired and only use CS5 for my personal use infrequently, the move to CS6 is not an option.  I just want to get my copy to work.  I did search the statement 'Some Application Component...application' but the solution started out 'Use Finder (what is that?) to go to Photoshop CS5://Application/Adobe Photoshop CS5' and that lost me.  There has to be a better way to fix this.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Can't Get CS5 to work on new computer?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You would at least have to tell people what computer you are using, what specific license type and so on. Could be that you have an upgrade installer and never input the serial of the previous qualifying version or something liek that, leading to a botched install...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Can't Get CS5 to work on new computer?
            John N Level 1

Thanks.  Yesterday my frustration level was high after a chat with Abobe revealed that they no longer support serial number issues.  As I lay awake last night I remembered that I had omitted information and probably had a way to solve my problem.  First, my computer is a Windows 7 device I had built specifically for photo and film editing.  Since I'm retired I got interested in Photoshop and started with CS 2, the Student edition.  I took local school classes that taught using CS3 so I upgraded to CS3 a month before CS4 came out, and took another class.  While everything I do is for personal use, I enjoyed the product and so when CS4 came out, I upgraded to it in 2010.  I have the books for all versions, including some of Kelby's.  So last night I realized that my CS4 and 5 versions are upgrades.  This morning I found my copies of CS2, CS3 and CS4 software and thought one of those may have the Application that my CS5 is missing.  What kept me awake was the quandry of either load the previous versions on my new computer without removing CS5, or remove CS5 and then start loadin CS2 or start with CS3 and then continue to load the following versions.  The computer that crashed was new in 2008, and my records indicate I had CS2 loaded on it  and removed it in 2009.  CS3 was removed in 2010 and that was when I got CS5.  Right now it appears that both CS4 and CS5 are on the new computer.  Part of my concern about deleting CS4 and CS5 and starting anew with CS2 is the number of times each version had been loaded.  Has the limit been exceeded?.  Also, currently CS5 Bridge is working.  Could I cause a problem if I delete CS4 and CS5 with Bridge?  Checking the software for each version I know they are all the student version, which is what I started with, but I can't tell if CS3 is a full student version or an upgrade. 

Now I need help.  Delete CS4 and CS5 and start over, or load CS2 and CS3 without removing those 2 and see if I have a serial number problem.  Glad I didn't upgrade to Windows 8 on the new computer!  It could be worse.Thanks

• 3. Re: Can't Get CS5 to work on new computer?
              SG... Adobe Employee

Hi John,

It sounds like the shop did a backup transfer from your old computer to your new computer. They didn't actually run the Ps CS5 installer, which is why the app is complaining. There's no requirement to have earlier versions present for the Ps CS5 version to launch, but there is a record of your installation history which is in consistent with the current new machine setup.

Do you still have a serial number (SN), or have you registered any of your copies with Adobe (so we can get at your SN)? If so, do you still have the Ps CS5 installer handy? And lastly, does Ps CS5 show up as available for uninstall in the software Install/Uninstall control panel?

Very high level steps that you should take:

1) uninstall Ps CS5 using the Win7 control panel, making sure to deactivate.

2) install Ps CS5 using either the physical disks, or using an electronic download version (I can point you to one if needed)

3) activate the new install using your SN

Student versions and upgrades are separate from what you're running into. The installer is the same for those conditions.

regards,

steve

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can't Get CS5 to work on new computer?
                John N Level 1

Steve:

I do have the s/n, but when I tried to load it yesterday it said the version was invalid.  I believe I have registered it, would have to check my Adobe file for confirmation email.  It is available to uninstall in Control panel.

This morning I tired CS4, and it works although I get a message ‘CS4 now includes Graphics card accelerator...visit the card’s site...ref KB404898.’  I checked and my computer has an Intel DH87RL Media desktop Motherboard. My tech guy where I got the computer says just ignore the message.

So I’ll do the uninstall etc as you suggest.  But should I first deactivate the S/N with Adobe?

JNL

• 5. Re: Can't Get CS5 to work on new computer?
                  John N Level 1

Steve:

I registered my CS5 on Dec 19, 2010

JNL

• 6. Re: Can't Get CS5 to work on new computer?
                    SG... Adobe Employee

Hi John,

The GPU message might be that your new machine needs driver updates, or it might be that the specs. are not compatible with GPU accelerated features. I honestly can't recall the conditions for displaying that dialog in CS4 (I 'think' it was an at first launch for all machines, but could have that wrong).

Since the CS4 launches and doesn't complain about activation, you should be OK not deactivating.

Did you uninstall CS5 the first time trying to reinstall? Sorry, I missed that in you OP.

regards,

steve

BTW, Finder is the Apple file system browsing application similar to Win Explorer.

• 7. Re: Can't Get CS5 to work on new computer?
                      John N Level 1

Steve:

I did not uninstall when I tried to run the CS5 dick.  When it got to where it requested the S/N it had all but the last 4 digits.  I entered those and it all went blank.  I entered the complete S/N and it said invalid S/N.  I guess I can uninstall and try again.  Do you agree?

JNL

• 8. Re: Can't Get CS5 to work on new computer?
                        SG... Adobe Employee

Hi John,

Yes, uninstall. And to change my previous direction, if it ask about deactivation during this process, select it. The stored value might be what's causing the problem you're running into.

regards,

steve

• 9. Re: Can't Get CS5 to work on new computer?
                          John N Level 1

Steve:

It works!!!  Thanks for your help.  Need to put the icons on the desktop and on the Start Bar and I’m back in business

Thanks again

JNL

• 10. Re: Can't Get CS5 to work on new computer?
                            SG... Adobe Employee

Great!

Glad you're new machine is up again.

Have a nice weekend!

regards,

steve