9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2013 1:12 PM by SAFEHARBOR11

Suggestions for zooming into footage??

shiffsportsmarketing Level 1

Hi All:

I've got a clip of lacrosse footage that I did not zoom in on during shooting (as the mother of the Goalie and "unofficial" photog for the team, I get caught up in the action too often!).

I've zoomed in on it while editing (just by clicking of the clip in the edit window, and scaling it out) - but the result is just, well, not good.

Here is the original footage:

Here is my "zoomed in" footage:

Obviously - its not acceptable quality -- is there any way to make this clip usable?

Thanks for any help you can provide, as always,

Kim

• 1. Re: Suggestions for zooming into footage??
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Wait for the new features for AE (one of them being upscaling from SD to HD and beyond) or use Red Giants Instand HD for Premiere.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Suggestions for zooming into footage??
            SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Hi Kim,

What format/resolution is the source footage? There is a way to "zoom in" without quality loss - when working with an HD source, you can edit that in an SD sequence (NTSC DV widescreen for instance). Think of the HD clip as an 8x10 photo that you want to put into a 3x2 frame - only a small portion of the photo would fit into the frame. The photo would still be full quality, not reduced, but you just would not see the whole photo (edges cut off to fit into the smaller frame).

So drop the HD clip into an SD sequence and you will just see the center part of the video filling the preview window. You have in effect "zoomed in" quite a bit, but without "blowing up" the image, so the quality is still there! In the Effects window, use "Adobe Motion" to adjust the "zoom" and "framing" using the Scale and Position tools, which can be keyframed to animate the result (zoom in/out, change part of larger image that is seen).

A 1080i/1080p clip can likewise be edited in a 720p sequence, but that won't give you too much advantage with getting closer to the on-field action, would need to go with SD sequence for that. Which is ok if going to DVD - that is SD anyway, so works out just fine.

Hope this helps

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Suggestions for zooming into footage??
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Kim,

In the future, I'd suggest getting closer to the action and getting yourself a simple tripod. If you could get two cameras, you could lock one off in the press box and have another down front in the stands, or even the sidelines. You could switch back in forth between the cams in Premiere Pro.

Good luck!

• 4. Re: Suggestions for zooming into footage??
                bogiesan Level 4

Sorry to go off topic.

Coworker: I have some video of my kid's soccer match. He kicked the winning goal and I want to send it to some friends.

Me: Okay, I can help you encode the HD to a smaller format. But, um, there's another soccer mom standing in front of your camera when the goal is kicked.

Coworker: Well, it's digital, right? So you can edit her out, right?

• 5. Re: Suggestions for zooming into footage??

Well -- getting closer to the action is not an option... I am a parent - and EXTREMELY LOUD and don't always have a "kind" word for the officiating  -- so it is best for all involved for me to be at the top of the bleachers usually  

Most of my footage is shot on a tripod and zoomed in properly - this one clip unfortunately, was not... and it was a GREAT save and clear by the Goalie - so I'm trying to salvage it. 

The source footage is AVCHD 1440x1080 -- so I'm going to try the suggestion above by Safeharbor and see how it goes.

If you all haven't noticed -- I am new to Premiere Pro -- I've been using Elements for a few years, but was tired of being limited... and being self-taught in pretty much everything -- I'm very grateful for these forums.  I just watched a video about the new feature in AE "detail-preserving upscale" - and the video even says that the feature is available in "AE CC" -- unfortunately, not true.. guess its coming out shortly..

Thanks again!

Kim

• 6. Re: Suggestions for zooming into footage??

Thanks for the reply --- my source footage is AVCHD 1440x1080 -- so I am going to give your suggestion a try... it sounds logical to me... (famous last words!)

I'll let you know how it works

Thanks again,

Kim

• 7. Re: Suggestions for zooming into footage??

Thank you for the literal LOL... needed that one!

• 8. Re: Suggestions for zooming into footage??

Well -- just doing what you suggested - without a lot of "messing around with it"... I think it looks a LOT better....

Think I'm on the right track?

Thanks again!

Kim

• 9. Re: Suggestions for zooming into footage??
                          SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Hi Kim,

Yes, on the right track. Next, use the Motion > Position controls to keep the action framed up. Will likely need keyframes added since that position will change over time. There are plenty of online tutorials for how keyframing works.

Thanks

Jeff