8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2013 12:44 PM by A.T. Romano

De-esser plugin for vocal track

adobenewbie123 Level 1

I have a section in my movie where the S's on the vocal track are popping too much. (perhaps poor microphoine placement) I did some research online and found some great reviews about spitfish. So I downloaded from the internet as it is free.  It is a VST file.  Not sure what that means but wondering if VST's can be imported in adobe so it comes up as an effect option. (downloaded at http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=537)  I can't find much info online about installation into Premiere  although I did find instructions for getting this plugin into audcaity. And I would be happy to take the extra step and edit in audacity as a plan B. (and then import back into adobe) But  those install instructions reference putting the attached file in a vst folder that is suppsoed in live in your C/Programfiles and I can not find any such folder in my Windows 7 setup. So i was hoping to get some advice to either carry out my strategy above or other suggestions for making "S" sounds less harsh in some key places in my film.

Thanks so much for your time and let me say in adavnce, everyone on this board rocks!

• 1. Re: De-esser plugin for vocal track
          A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Did you look in

Local Disc C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 10

Plug-ins

Common

VST Plugins?

ATR

• 2. Re: De-esser plugin for vocal track
            adobenewbie123 Level 1

Yes I see that!  Suppose this file is not compatible with Adobe Premiere? Is there any danger of messing up the adobe  program if I drop it in the folder?

• 3. Re: De-esser plugin for vocal track
              A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

I doubt it, BUT I have just been through a wicked week of troubleshooting installation from disc of Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 issues (finally got that solved), and I hesitate to rock the boat at this moment trying what is for me an unknown plug-in.

I guess you could set a System Restore point as a safety net of sorts.

Here is an idea...

http://fwww.muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11227

Try to use the plug-in in Audacity. If that works, then you can decide how adventurous you want to be using it in Premiere Elements 10 Windows or just use it in Audacity.

Please review and let us know your thoughts on the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: De-esser plugin for vocal track
                adobenewbie123 Level 1

Thanks ATR.

The problem with adding this plugin to audacity is that the plugin  folder within the audacity program path contain all .ny files and not .dll. Instructions online is to install into a shared vst folder within the top level  "program files" folder.  I watched a youtube video and saw this folder firsthand on screen  but it does not exist in that path on my Windows 7 system?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EGqbtXfAJA

• 5. Re: De-esser plugin for vocal track
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

I went to

http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.php?item=2&subItem=5

Where I scrolled down to

"the fish fillets PC (Win) version 1.1 (size 811 kb)" and clicked download.

I unzipped the zipped folder that downloaded and then took the whole unzipped folder into

Audacity (Local Disc C/Program Files (x86)/Audacity

Navigated to the Plug-ins Folder and put the whole unzipped folder in there.

These plug-ins appeared in Audacity under the Effects Menu (all 3 types).

Can you repeat that up to that point? If so, do they work on a sample of your s audio?

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: De-esser plugin for vocal track
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

How are you doing with those audio plug-in and Audacity? That may be THE way.

Further developements.

There appears to be a more logical place to try to install those plug-ins for Premiere Elements 10 Windows 7 or 8 64 bit.

Local Disc C\Program Files\Adobe Premiere Elements 10\Plug-ins\en_US.\VST Plug-ins and then the 3 dlls from the download in the latter folder. But, they do not show up in Premiere Elements 10 Effects Header/Audio Effects or anywhere else that I can find.

In spite of what looks like a perfect plan, I suspect that we have been blocked by the fact that these are 32 bit plug-ins and Premiere Elements 10 is a 64 bit application in WIndows 7 or 8 64 bit. I tried a few maneuvers to convince the program and the plug-in otherwise. All met with failure.

Do you have Premiere Elements 10 on Windows XP SP3 32 bit. I suspect Premiere Elements 10 might work with these dlls under those circumstances. Just something to consider.

Please update on your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...As of this posting my Premiere Elements 10 is still intact after exposure to these plug-ins.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: De-esser plugin for vocal track
                      adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hey ATR,

I followed your instructions and it is now appearing as an effect in audacity!  I am running Premiere 10 on 64 bit so it sounds like I should not waste my time on the tring to intergrate with Elements?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

• 8. Re: De-esser plugin for vocal track
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Great news. Right now I am still not seeing use of that plug-in within Premiere Elements.

When you get a chance, please let us know if the plug-in took care of the s audio problem when it was used in Audacity.

Thanks.

ATR