9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2013 5:07 AM by BobLevine

linking swf-file to webbrowser

rsai

are there any options to edit a swf-file (flipbook) in order to automatically open it with any webbrowser installed on a computer (swf-export from indesign cs4)? the idea is to allow offline use of the file for customers who might not have flashplayer installed... thx!

• 1. Re: linking swf-file to webbrowser
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It still won't work without flash player and to be honest, I do not

recommend using SWF for anything anymore. You are eliminating anyone

with a tablet or who simply refuses to have flash playing installed on a

system.

SWF is all but dead and you should be looking at alternatives.

• 2. Re: linking swf-file to webbrowser
            Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

rsai,

I support Bob's comment.

Up until about eight months ago I was still teaching people how to create flip books and add SWF to PDF documents.

But two things have stopped me from doing it.

• Increasing number of people with tablets. There is NO support for any kind of SWF on any tablet device.
            • Lack of Flash Player for PDF. It used to be that as long as someone installed Adobe Reader or Acrobat, they automatically had the Flash Player to play SWF animations within the PDF. That is no longer true. In order to play Flash content within a PDF, the user has to go to the Adobe site and download the Flash Player. That's never going to happen for 90% of the viewers.

I'm sure Bob has plenty of other reasons, but these were enough to stop me.

• 3. Re: linking swf-file to webbrowser
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

the idea is to allow offline use of the file for customers who might not have flashplayer installed... thx!

If you want the swf to play offline then browser plugin availability isn't really an issue because you are wishing for something that will run outside of a browser.

You can load an exported InDesign swf into a new Flash document and publish it as an AIR application.

Here's an example of a stand alone AIR application built from an InDesign exported swf:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/AirExample.zip

And here are the complete Flash files that I used to compile the application:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/AirTest.zip

You would also have the option of compiling the same Flash file as an iOS or Android app.

The loading code is only a few lines and the publishing setup is fairly easy.

• 4. Re: linking swf-file to webbrowser
                Petteri_Paananen Level 4

I think you cant run SWF in iOS device, not even inside AIR for iOS package, unless this have been changed recently?

• 5. Re: linking swf-file to webbrowser

Sorry Petteri I misread your post and deleted my first response.

Flash and Flash Builder let you export apps for iOS if you pay the Apple developers fee. Many game designers use Flash because they can compile for the Flash browser plugin, iOS and Android apps from one set of code.

You are right my example wouldn't work as is on an iPad—I would have to be a developer and compile it as an iOS app and then get it in to the Apple store.

• 6. Re: linking swf-file to webbrowser
                    Petteri_Paananen Level 4

Yep, I have done few ios etc apps from Flash and Flex myself too... My point was actually that you cant load a compiled SWF file into your Flash project and recompile it with AIR for iOS packager...

• 7. Re: linking swf-file to webbrowser

Oh I see what you're saying, the iOS compiler won't allow loaded swfs even if they're in the package. I've read that you can convert swfs to .swcs and it will work but haven't tried it, also AIR 3.5 beta might have an option.

In any case the OP probably isn't looking to go through the Apple store. It sounded like the target audience might be desktops and  was just trying to avoid a browser and plugin.

• 8. Re: linking swf-file to webbrowser
                        rsai Level 1

hey everybody, thank you all for your answers! it seems it makes sense to give up swf... does anyone know how to produce the same effect within a pdf-file (flipbook-look-alike) ? cheers, rsai

• 9. Re: linking swf-file to webbrowser
                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You don't. It's nothing but a gimmick anyway.