5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2013 6:12 PM by Chuck Uebele

Date on Photos

McWrath

I have just returned from holidays,took 1000 pictures that all have a date on them.

Is there an less time consuming way of removing this without having to use the clone stamp tool for each one?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Date on Photos
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Nope, clone stamp and other retouching tools.

Why does anyone print the date on images with digital photos?

• 2. Re: Date on Photos
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Especially the Patch tool for that particular situation. If you have CS6 or CC, there is a Content Aware option for the Patch tool, but it still worked very well before that. 

The date stamp is going to be in the same position on every image, so you might getaway with an action using the Patch tool.  You probably wouldn’t get away with using in the Image Processor to batch fix all the image, because of the need to select an appropriate area to replace the date, but if it were me, I’d give it a go on a copy of the images, and run the action one at a time for the images that didn’t work out well in the Batch run.

Note that you should still give the Patch tool a go if your Photoshop version is prior to CS6

http://blip.tv/psdtuts/how-to-use-the-content-aware-patch-tool-in-photoshop-cs6-6043133

• 3. Re: Date on Photos
              Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might be able to use the batch tool, if when you create an action, you first create a blank layer, then use one of the clone or content aware tools to patch, and make sure you check: "Sample all layers."  That way you can go back and edit the ones that didn't work well and not have the correction baked into the image.  I do agree with Willi.  With digital, there is no need for the date stamp, as it's recorded with the metadata.

• 4. Re: Date on Photos
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

csuebele wrote:

You might be able to use the batch tool, if when you create an action, you first create a blank layer, then use one of the clone or content aware tools to patch, and make sure you check: "Sample all layers."  That way you can go back and edit the ones that didn't work well and not have the correction baked into the image. 

Good idea.

• 5. Re: Date on Photos
                  Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One other option. You can load a batch of images - not sure 1000 is a good idea - into Camera Raw.  Select all the photos, then use the spot removal brush over the date.  If you have the current version of ACR, you can then go through each image to see it the retouch is acceptable.  If not press the "/" key, and the sample area will change to something that might blend better.