5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2013 6:16 AM by cfg_2451

Display driver stopped responding and has restarted: why no solution for this problem??

vandermedia Level 1

Hello,

Can anybody help me with a problem which seems to occur more often (just google for my question): when i'm using Premiere (CS5), i get a message that the display driver has stopped working and has restarted. This happens mostly after a few minutes. Most of the time the driver will restart and Premiere continues, but it als happens that the driver stops working and Adobe does'nt work anymore. Then, I have to restart my computer.

Now, I know I can give you every detail about my computer, but believe me, its fully equiped with certified hardware and software (NVIDIA CUDA, Windows 7 64, CS5 License, Matrox Mini, etc, etc). I'm using my computer professionally for more than 2 years and i've had no problems in the first year, the problems with the display driver occur since (about) one year now.

And the funny thing is, that I'm reading so much information about this known problem in al kinds of forum/discussion/community's/google.....and everybody is talking about it, but nobody seems to have a real solution? And i know how it works, Adobe says it has to do with the display driver, so please contact NVIDIA......NVIDIA says there is no problem, so contact Microsoft....Microsoft says its a softwareproblem, so please contact Adobe.....

Now everybody advices you to reinstall the software.....and update your videodriver software...and all other hardware in your system....and every now and then someone reports that his system works fine.....after reinstalling, rebooting, in a particulair order.....but when you ask what he has really done to solve the problem.....he doesn't really know, it's more like trial and error.....and then you hear that the problem returned after a few weeks....

Now, so far my frustration....but, i'm mostly frustrated about the fact that (it seems) that nobody at Adobe can give us an answer! A lot of people have this problem and when you want us to keep using your software, then please help us. I am satisfied about editing with Premiere, but when I keep getting these issues I'm forced to look for another editing software. I cannot work like this.

Do not advise us to contact NVIDIA (or any other supplier, because its not only NVIDIA who has this problem), but contact NVIDIA yourself! And try to figure out whats wrong! I'm not saying its an Adobe software problem, maybe it has to do with the video driver, but it only happens when i'm using Premiere...(when you Google, you will find out that also other CS products have these problems)....so there must be some kind of connection.....Adobe is the supplier of Premiere....so please solve this problem for us, or give us a workaround.

Anybody with the same problem, please ask Adobe the same, maybe we can trigger them to do something!

Thanks for your reply.

• 1. Re: Display driver stopped responding and has restarted: why no solution for this problem??
          shooternz Level 6

i get a message that the display driver has stopped working and has restarted.

I have been in these forums a long time and I haven not seen this message ever or as far as I recall.

This is your first post in an Adobe Forum.

Your issue started sometime after using an old Premiere version CS5 successfully for at least 2 years according to you.

Why do you consider this an Adobe issue?

Your message indicates a display driver issue.

Where are you reading this  about a really old version that no one else has mentioned here...

And the funny thing is, that I'm reading so much information about this known problem in al kinds of forum/discussion/community's/google.....and everybody is talking about it, but nobody seems to have a real solution?

..and why have you taken a year to report it?

[Insinuating image removed.]

Message edited by Jim Simon

• 2. Re: Display driver stopped responding and has restarted: why no solution for this problem??
            vandermedia Level 1

Hi Shooternz,

Thanks for you reply. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its an Adobe issue, i'm only saying that (in my opinium) Adobe should help their customers to solve a problem which seems to occur when using one (or more) of their products. I don't know why it has never been mentioned in this forum before, when you google "adobe premiere display driver stopped responding" or something like that, you will find many issues, so I'm not the only one. You will find it also in the adobe forum, but then in the Hardware section (maybe my post is in the wrong section). For example: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1089836

And i've never posted it before, because I've seen this error so often on Google.

But again, a discussion starts about who is to blame, and still no answers!

• 3. Re: Display driver stopped responding and has restarted: why no solution for this problem??
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My my, got out of bed the wrong side...

You dont say which driver. Not even which card. (is it even on the list?)

Either update to the latest driver or roll one back.

Some drivers have known issues.

• 4. Re: Display driver stopped responding and has restarted: why no solution for this problem??
                cc_merchant Level 4

The problem with your description is that it leaves open far too many variables to exactly pinpoint where the problem may be.

It could be a nVidia driver problem (try rolling back a version or install the latest 331.40 version).

It could be a Matrox Mini problem. Not the first time that Matrox needs to update their drivers, after you have updated software.

It could be a Windows update problem, like the .WMV problem introduced lately.

It could be resident services or processes, running amok with other programs.

It could be the source material that throws a kink in the cable, because of the codec used.

It could be a myriad of other things.

No way to tell with your description, but I do recognize the run-around you can get from nVidia, Matrox, Adobe and Windows. Ultimately, it may well be another party causing this problem.

• 5. Re: Display driver stopped responding and has restarted: why no solution for this problem??
                  cfg_2451 Level 2

I've got a similar problem. PC worked fine for the first two years that I had it, using Production Premium cs6. Then started with the display driver problem described by the OP. Interestingly enough, for me it mostly happens outside of Adobe, usually when I'm just web browsing.

Display driver updating didn't effect it. Sent the PC back to manufacturer under warrenty, they couldn't duplicate it (all they would do was fully automated high load testing -- this problem for me only occurs under minimum load, like web browsing. Never had it fail under load, like AME exporting). Interestingly to me, the OS doesn't ever report the problem. The event manager sees that either the display driver crapped out, or that the machine went down (it locks up the machine so I have to power fail it), but doesn't report why.

Having eliminated most everything else, one of the things that's left is a memory error on the Nvidia card. Probably just a weak bit somewhere that doesn't get used a lot. If I ever get motivated enough to track down a replacement card, maybe I'll find out. Or maybe it's something else intirely.

PCs suck. But we couldn't do this work without 'em. Sigh...