9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2013 10:19 AM by Noel Carboni

I purchased photoshop cs2 quite some time ago and installed on my mac.

swingeasy

I used it for a long time.  However, recently I happened to drop my computer and bought a new mac, and tried to install photoshop cd that I purchsed.  But it asks me to purchase a monthly license.  How can I go about installing from my original photoshop cd?

• 1. Re: I purchased photoshop cs2 quite some time ago and installed on my mac.
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

What version of mac os x do you have?

Photoshop cs2 won't run on os x 10.7 (Lion) or os x 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

• 2. Re: I purchased photoshop cs2 quite some time ago and installed on my mac.
            Herbert2001 Level 4

The CS2 license server has been taken off-line by Adobe, and you will not be able to reactivate it. To install CS2, download your Adobe software at:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=cs2_downloads

and use the license number(s) they provide on that page.

• 3. Re: I purchased photoshop cs2 quite some time ago and installed on my mac.
              Herbert2001 Level 4

That's correct, CS2 is powerpc only, and will not run on modern version of MacOsX. A possible solution is to download virtual box, and run the windows version in a virtual machine.

Or run it with something like Crossover https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-mac/

Or update to CS6 (expensive) or subscribe to CC (expensive, buggy, a hassle, and insecure). Or switch to an alternative like Photoline (which is far more powerful than PH CS2). and very affordable. I did.

• 4. Re: I purchased photoshop cs2 quite some time ago and installed on my mac.
                Noel Carboni Level 8

Herbert2001 wrote:

subscribe to CC (expensive, buggy, a hassle, and insecure)

Spoken like someone not using Photoshop CC.  I wouldn't call it buggy, a hassle, or insecure myself.  I use it every day to great benefit.

Photoshop CC may be considered expensive, but if you'd kept up with your versions you could get the Photographer's bundle for $9.99 / month - no more expensive than buying each new version that they release.  That's only available to users of Photoshop CS3 and newer, though.

But blame Apple, not Adobe, for making your new Mac incompatible with your existing Photoshop license.  I don't know why Mac users put up with that.  They could have kept their Rosetta subsystem around longer, they just chose not to.

-Noel

• 5. Re: I purchased photoshop cs2 quite some time ago and installed on my mac.
                  Herbert2001 Level 4

I wasn't talking about Photoshop CC - just about the CC license system in general. Photoshop CC is fine overall. As are the other applications (well, except for DW). CC is a bit of a mess, though. And yes, I speak from experience, and from experience with many a student of mine who had to deal with CC and Adobe's support. Which is a shame, because there is nothing wrong with the apps in themselves.

But then again, you may be one of the lucky ones so far, and mileage may very from perspn to person.

You can't really blame Apple or Adobe for CS2's incompatibility, I feel: sometimes it is just not viable to keep old tech around. Rosetta was just not worth it at some point. And for Adobe it's just not worth it to spend resources on keeping CS2 compatible, of course.

• 6. Re: I purchased photoshop cs2 quite some time ago and installed on my mac.
                    JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I have never considered Photoshop expensive for its is very comprehensive and feature rich.  However Photoshop is getting bugger as it evolves.   You may not be effected by any of Photoshop bugs others are.  You know this yet like Adobe you don't seem to care.  All problem reports are not bugs still I find the following impressive:

Community-powered support for Photoshop Family

Supported by 32,526 customers like you, as well as the Photoshop Family team.

371 problems found for cs4

1239 problems found for cs5

1573 problems found for CS6

349 problems found for cc

That many reports from a small subset of  users seems only 32,526 customers even use Adobe feedback Photoshop Family site.

• 7. Re: I purchased photoshop cs2 quite some time ago and installed on my mac.
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Not to belabor this (well, okay, TO belabor this)...

Only 32,526 out of million(s?) of customers came to the site to report problems.  Only 1 in 30 users sees a problem and seeks a remedy online?  Does that say that 97% of users don't encounter problems they feel the need to seek a remedy for online?

How many members did the Photoshop Family forum have when Photoshop CS4 was current?  I'll wager fewer.  It is likely that more folks report problems online today than 5+ years ago.  And I honestly don't know whether Adobe has more Photoshop users now than then - I suspect they have a lot more.

Photoshop CC has a fifth of the problems reported, per your numbers above, as Photoshop CS6.  That seems a positive trend.

While I regard every bug as needing to be fixed, I'm just not seeing those numbers in the same light you are, JJ.

I've been involved with the forums for a long time (as have you), and it seems to me people are reporting fewer different problems today than a few years ago.  Plus my own experience using Photoshop at an expert level tells me there are fewer basic glitches.

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: I purchased photoshop cs2 quite some time ago and installed on my mac.
                        Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

I have a theory about surveys.  The BBC Top Gear program used JD Power to run a survey every year, and the results were usually surprising. Prestige cars like Jaguar used to do well, but so did brands you wouldn’t expect to like Skoda and Lada.  Mass produced vehicles like Ford used to do poorly, despite vehicles like the Mondeo winning the Top Gear car of the year award.

My theory is based on who is most likely to respond to these surveys, and why.  Jaguar owners are full of themselves and want to brag.  Lada owners are fed up with being the butt of so many crap car jokes, so use the survey to redeem their pride. But family saloon owners take it for granted that their car is going to work, so only respond to the survey if they have bought a rare lemon.  So the results are skewed and meaningless.

On this site we tend to see people trying to install Photoshop on inadequate hardware, or people doing dumb things like trying to launch CC apps from the Desktop Application Manager, or victims of shoddy systems engineering where shortcuts in driver design catch them out up the line.  Look at how many Wacom problems we see, all of which want to blame the Photoshop Development Team without even thinking to check for driver updates — not that it would help in a lot of cases.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: I purchased photoshop cs2 quite some time ago and installed on my mac.
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

I'm curious...  What's your opinion, Trevor, based on your own use...

1.  Do you feel Photoshop is particularly buggy in the grand scheme?

2.  Does Photoshop CC seem more or less buggy than its predecessors?

-Noel