16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2013 11:58 AM by A.T. Romano

Media Offline

gary_broughton

When I start Premier Elements 11 I get the red "Media Offline" screen.  How do I get rid of this screen so I can see the video I have made?

• 1. Re: Media Offline
          A.T. Romano Level 7

gary_broughton

Lots of questions.

Are you opening an existing project to do more work on it?

If so, have you moved or deleted the source media that went into this project?

If this is the case, then you should be getting those "Where is the file.....?" messages. Are you?

If that source media still exist and you know their location, you reconnect the source media to the project

via each of those "Where is the file....?" messages or via the Replace Footage feature.

To avoid this situation, never move source media from its hard drive save location after the project has been saved/closed. Or else, when you re-open the project, you will run into these nasty media disconnect issues.

Now after writing all of the above,if  none of that applies to your situation, then let us look at where you have the source media

stored. If on any external hard drive, there may be an external hard drive issue (maybe the drive changing drive letters).

But, lots of details needed to help us help you.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

By the way, what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on?

• 2. Re: Media Offline
            A.T. Romano Level 7

gary_broughton

After we straighten out the details of the issue reported, you may want to take a look at project archiving. It is a life saver

to avoid the missing media syndrome in several instances.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d cb.html

ATR

• 3. Re: Media Offline
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

For some background on "Media Offline," this article might be of use to you: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3561281#3561281

Hope that this helps, along with ATR's suggestions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Media Offline
                A.T. Romano Level 7

broughton

Even though we have not had any follow up yet to make sure that we are targeting your specific issue, I will post the following on Replace Footage mentioned in my initial post (1)....just in case.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-replace-footage.html

The perk that Replace Footage has in getting through the Missing Media situation is that it helps correct the situation and at the same time maintains the original edits on the missing file on that Timeline.

ATR

• 5. Re: Media Offline
                  Susan Verner Level 1

I am having a Media Offline problem with PE 11.  I am working with a  slide show with about 130 images.  Each time I load the project about  15-20 photos are offline.  Each time, I have gone through the Project  Assets file and manually Located Media for each one.  I've tried saving  the project under new names after re-linking to no avail.  Next time I  load the project the files are missing again.  I haven't moved anything  since I started this project.

I tried loading the  project in my trial version of PE 12 to see if the same thing would  happen.  Fewer files are missing in PE 12 than PE 11, but still about 10  images are missing.

I am working with digital photos  which I have downsized to manageable file sizes.  This is a smaller  project than I normally work on but for some reason it seems like it is  choking my system.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Susan

• 6. Re: Media Offline
                    Susan Verner Level 1

Forgot to mention, I am disabling firewall and anti-virus software and running End-it-All before starting PE 11.

• 7. Re: Media Offline
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Susan Verner

Thanks for the information related to your missing media issue with Premiere Elements 11 and the tryout of version 11.

What computer operating system is Premiere Elements running on?

You wrote

I am working with digital photos  which I have downsized to manageable file sizes

please define in numbers the pixel dimensions of those 130 photos, contrasting the pixel dimensions of those photos that remain and those that disappear. "Manageable file size" is not going to favor in here. Think pixel dimensions. Also, what is the format of these photos, .psd, .jpg, .tif, other?

Coupled with the photo sizing, please indicate the level of your computer resources.

Where do you have this source media stored...Local Disk C save location or external hard drive (formatted NTFS, not FAT32, if Windows)?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Media Offline
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Susan,

Are those problem Images stored on an internal HDD?

From the time that you Imported those into the Project, has anything been changed, i.e. location, file names, anything?

What is the format of those problem Images? Is that the same as for those Images, that do link properly?

When the Project was Opened first, did you get the "Where is file ____ ?" dialog, or did those Images just show up as Media Offline?

Just trying to address several of the main causes of Media Offline.

Thank you for that info, and good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Media Offline
                          Susan Verner Level 1

Thank you Hunt and A.T.   Here is the info you asked for:

What computer operating system is Premiere Elements running on?  Windows XP

"Manageable file size" is not going to favor in here. Think  pixel dimensions.  Interesting.  Many of the offline photos are 2000x1500.  When I first made them smaller(1500 x 750) I was getting images that didn't fill the screen so I upsized them a little to get a larger image (which I have done in other projects without problems).  But there are a few larger photos, some appear and some are offline.

Also, what is the format of these photos, .psd, .jpg,  .tif, other?  These are all .jpg

Coupled with the photo sizing, please indicate the level of your computer resources.  My computer has a 400 GB hard drive with about 200 GB free (and I ran some clean up utilities yesterday to try to improve performance.)  I have 4 GB RAM though the computer only seems to recognize 3.25.

Where  do you have this source media stored...Local Disk C save location or  external hard drive (formatted NTFS, not FAT32, if Windows)? All photos on local hard drive.

When the Project was Opened first, did you get the "Where is file  ____ ?" dialog, or did those Images just show up as Media Offline? I don't get the "Where is file..." prompt on loading.  They just show us as media offline once all media are loaded.

Maybe it's time to upgrade to a 64 bit computer with more RAM?

• 10. Re: Media Offline
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Susan,

Thank you for that information.

Two questions please (last ones?):

1. Approximately how many Images, total, are in this Project?
                            2. Have you experienced any odd behavior with that internal HDD, such as accessing files, corrupted files, etc.?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Media Offline
                              Susan Verner Level 1

Thanks for your help!

1.  There are about 130 images, plus five or six title screens.

2.  I haven't had any problems with the hard drive.  (I finished a similar project last week and had a few instances of media offline, but once I re-linked everything was fine.)

Just as an aside, from time to time I make projects in ProShow Gold.  This week I started and finished a Proshow project with about 200 digital photos, which I did not re-size, with absolutely no problems.  I don't understand why I often feel like I'm pulling teeth to complete a project in PE. 

• 12. Re: Media Offline
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Susan Verner

As you know Premiere Elements 11 on Windows XP 32 bit is a 32 bit application with all the resource limitations of 32 bit, namely, maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which 3 GB or less of the are available. Nonetheless, let us see what we can do with what you have so that what you import into the project remains remains.

What is your Premiere Elements 11 project preset? Since the program takes over setting the project preset, I suspect that you are ending up with NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080i30.

I am assuming that the plan is for slideshow as DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc.

STEP 1.

Open a new project, go to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset = NTSC DV Standard. Make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" before exiting the new project dialog. Close out of there.

STEP 2.

Import your photos via the program's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the photos to the Timeline.

Beforehand, batch resize all the photos to 1000 x 750 pixels (landscape oriented ones) and then in a separate batch 750 x 1000 for the portrait oriented photos.

STEP 3.

Save, close, reopen the project, on two different occasions if necessary. Are you still missing media, especially those which were chronic disappearers before this mini test run?

Let us get the above factor(s) ruled in or out.

Also, look at your Premiere Elements 11 Scratch Disk situation. (See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and where they are directed and how much free space is at that location.) Look for pile ups of preview files in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder as well as conformed audio in the Media Cache Folder typically in the same location as the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Folder. Check preferences for the exact location.

Also, once you reconnect your missing media, can you then successfully burn the Timeline intact to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

Please review and then we can think about what next.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...

If this can be shown to be a resource issue, then considering Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit would be worthwhile to get Premiere Elements 11 as a 64 bit application running in a 64 bit system and thus enabled to take advantage of the 64 bit system resources.

• 13. Re: Media Offline
                                  Susan Verner Level 1

Yes, I am burning the slide show to DVD, and after reconnecting I am able to burn and play the DVD.

I was going through your suggestions, and was about to resize everything and give that a try when I checked out the media cache situation.  I did learn through this forum to clear the preview, encoded, autosaves and cache files.  But I found something interesting.  The media cache folder was not in the same place.  When I searched for it, I found about 100 GB in cache files from projects dating back a couple years! 

When I got rid of everything and emptied the recycle bin I went up by about 100 GB in disk space.  Then I restarted and loaded the project in PE 11.  This time only four images were offline.  I thought we were on to something.  I reconnected those four, saved under a new name and exited the program (after changing the location for the media cache folder to "same as project" from "custom" -- not sure why it was custom but must have been that way since I upgraded to PE 11). 

When I opened the project again, once again 20 images were offline:/

I can't find the project preset.  Would that be under preferences? 

• 14. Re: Media Offline
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Susan Verner

Thanks for the update.

Your chance to see what you have as project preset can come in a few ways...

Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and then figuring out what you have from the readings there, especially Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.

If you want to get to the new project dialog, then you would need to get to

File Menu

New

Project

But, if you do that in the open project, you need to be careful that you do not start a new project and override what you have.

To get an idea about what the new project dialog is all about, start a new project and go to File Menu/New/Project where you can set the project preset there to match the properties of your source media and do not have to depend on the program to set the project preset for you. Sometimes it does it OK, sometimes not. When you set the project preset manually, remember to have a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on This Project before you exit the new project dialog. Then when you get back in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders to bring your source media into the project.

You have to keep an eye on those Scratch Files pile ups.

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder

Media Cache

and

Media Cache Database, best gotten to via Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and hitting the Clean button there.

If you have not gotten to it already, try to get yourself into a situation where the pile ups are taken care of and the photo sizing is optimal for your project and computer resources.

More later. Right now I am having a computer crisis that I am trying to work through and am working from my laptop.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Media Offline
                                      Susan Verner Level 1

Sorry about your computer crisis!  Many thanks for your help.

Update:  I cleared more cache files, not just Adobe files but also some other things clogging up my system.  Then I went back to PE11 and loaded the project and it loaded all but two images!  I do get a "memory low" message when the project loads still (probably should have mentioned that yesterday).  But I am able to edit and preview once in the project.

Here is a screen shot of the project settings:

project settings.JPG

And here is what I get if I open a new project:

new project.JPG

Thanks again for your help.   I don't really know how to resolve this conflict between resizing to 1000x750 and then not getting a full size image in PE 11.  If  my project settings should be different, that would be good to know.  For now, I can get through this project.

Good luck with your crisis.

Susan

• 16. Re: Media Offline
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Susan Verner

Thanks for the follow up. Still working on my crisis here. I am working my way through plans A through Z. I suspect that I am beyond Z and creating my own categories at this time.

But, when I put together all you have said,

Premiere Elements 11

Windows XP 32 bit, 4 GB RAM installed

Those 130 stills

and low memory messages

and all the happenings with your photos....

I think you clean up program went a long way to helping the situation. But, all that, is pushing me to the following for your consideration...if this is going to be a DVD-VIDEO Standard project....

Beforehand, size the photos to no more than 1000 x 750 (for landscape oriented photos) and 750 x 1000 (for portrait oriented ones).

Open Premiere Elements 11. Go to File Menu/New/Project the way that you have, but click on "Change Settings", to chance them to NTSC DV Standard. Before you leave that new project dialog, make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Close out of there.

Back in the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace, import your 130 photos into the project with the program's Add Media/Files and Folders.

When you are ready for burn to, then Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with the NTSC Dolby DVD preset.

I think that workflow should wrote smoother. From your screenshots, it looks like you are getting set into 11's defaults 1080i (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

However, those are guidelines. See what works for you. If you have a workflow that is working for you to get the job done, the move forward on it.

We will be watching for further developments if you get the time.

Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit would put you in a better computer resource position as mentioned previously.

Thanks.

ATR