3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2008 1:13 PM by Newsgroup_User

Populating a combo box with coldFusion

nrutter
      Hello. I have been searching for a while now on how to populate a combo box using coldFusion. I didn't know if I needed to use flash remoting or if there is a better way to do this. I have created my CFC I am just not sure how to populate my combo box. Can someone provide me with an example or point me to a tutorial?

-NR
        • 1. Re: Populating a combo box with coldFusion
          Level 7
          Other then the many handy examples in the documentation I am sure there
          are also many on the web. At least that is where I got much of my help
          from.

But to clarify the overall process, flash remoting is but one option.
          You do need to use one of the several ways flex offers to access server
          data to get the list you want to use for the combobox. Then populate
          the your box with this list.

Your options to retrieve the data are HTTPService, WebService,
          PremoteObject and DataService components. Examples of each of these is
          provide in the documentation. Which you choose will depend on many
          factors and the relative advantages and disadvantages of each.

They all will return the data from the server, which you then use one of
          the many ways to bind this data into the combo box.
          • 2. Re: Populating a combo box with coldFusion
            nrutter Level 1
            I am going to use RemoteObject to pull in my data from coldFusion. I have looked through the documentation but I did not see anything that uses a Remote Object to pull my data into the combo Box
            • 3. Re: Populating a combo box with coldFusion
              Level 7
              nrutter wrote:
              > I am going to use RemoteObject to pull in my data from coldFusion. I have looked through the documentation but I did not see anything that uses a Remote Object to pull my data into the combo Box

It is a two step process. First use RemoteObject to get the data; the
              data will then be in the result variable defined by RemoteObject.
              Second associate this variable with the ComboBox dataprovider as you like.