5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2013 7:42 AM by JimHess

DNG not recognizing NEF files

sychophant

.I have Photoshop CS5 and I recently downloaded Adobe DNG Converter 7.1 to convert my NEF files so that I can open them in Camera RAW which was working for about a week, now it is not recognizing them. Any suggestions as to why?

• 1. Re: DNG not recognizing NEF files
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you saying that Camera Raw doesn't recognize the DNG files that you created previously, and were previously recognized? Or is it something different?

If your installation of Camera Raw hasn't changed, then there must be something more that needs to be explained.

• 2. Re: DNG not recognizing NEF files
            sychophant Level 1

The DNG Converter won't recognize the DNG files. It used to recognize them and I was able to convert, but now the DNG files don't even show up in the folder when I select the folder I am going to convert while using the DNG Converter.

• 3. Re: DNG not recognizing NEF files

I don't think you want to use the DNG converter on existing DNG files.  You would want to use it on your original NEF files taken by your camera.

In the DNG converter, notice that the prompt is asking for the FOLDER that contains the raw files.  Choose the folder, but don't double click on the folder.  Don't expect to see your raw files listed.  Just choose the FOLDER, and don't try to go any deeper.  If you want to convert individual NEF files, drag/drop them onto the DNG converter icon.  The program will open and will convert that one file.

Once you have chosen the folder containing your raw files, click on the convert button, and you will see each file listed as it is being converted.

• 4. Re: DNG not recognizing NEF files
                sychophant Level 1

Thanks for the advice. I think I misspoke when I said I used DNG converter on DNG files when I meant to say was I use it on NEF files. My main concern was not seeing the files in the folder when I selected the folder, but after you stating that I actually won't see th files in there, it worked like a charm after I proceeded to run the convert.

• 5. Re: DNG not recognizing NEF files

That is a "feature" of the DNG converter that seems to catch a lot of people off guard.