3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2013 6:16 AM by BobLevine

How can I import developed pictures from Lightroom to an indesign document?

thocle

...if I take a picture by "hand" from Lightroom to Indesign I get always the original data without my developments.

• 1. Re: How can I import developed pictures from Lightroom to an indesign document?
          peter minneapolis Level 4

thocle wrote:

...if I take a picture by "hand" from Lightroom to Indesign I get always the original data without my developments.

When you "develop" a picture file in Lightroom, althought it may seem that you're changing the file, Lightroom doesn't change the picture. Instead, Lightroom keeps track of all the adjustments you make to the picture in the "catalog" file. This permits all the changes you make to be undone. It's called "non-destructive" editing.

Because this is so different from working in almost every other application, many Lightroom users are confused when they find that the original file doesn't show the results of their work.

With Lightroom, you need to use File > Export to create a picture file that has the results of all the adjustments you've made to the image.

Search Google for terms like "Lightroom file export," "saving Lightroom picture files," and "Lightroom julieanne kost tutorials," without quotes for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I import developed pictures from Lightroom to an indesign document?
            keylightdigital Level 1

Here's the VERY frustrating thing about InDesign.

• If I place a tif in InDesign and then edit the tif in Photoshop, InDesign will update with the changes.
            • If I place a tif in InDesign and then adjust in Lightroom, InDesign will NOT update the changes

Yes, Photoshop is destructive editing at the pixel level (um, except for smart layers) and Lightroom is only changing the Metadata.  But why as of version CS6 (or CC?) does InDesign not have the ability to read that develop Metadata?  Especially since Lightroom saves the Metadata for tif, jpg, psd filetypes in the file itself.  Don't even need to use an XMP sidecar file, not that an XMP file should be any harder.  That's the crux of the problem.

Other CS/CC programs will read in Lightroom's Metadata (Premiere and Photoshop) without any problem.  But for some reason Adobe's InDesign team hasn't gotten around to implementing this feature yet.

So the only way to have LR changes show up in InDesign, is to re-Export an image, over-writing the original Exported image.  Royal PITA!

1 person found this helpful