24 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2014 10:39 PM by John T Smith

I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project

BeeW

i am new to elements but have some basic understanding, but I can't get any audio into my project from itunes, just keep getting an error.

• 1. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
          A.T. Romano Level 7

BeeW

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Are you dealing with iTunes plus music or its previous digital management rights type?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1711

What is the file extension of the iTune music that you have?

Depending on the circumstances, some have had to deal with DMR if that is the type you have. Some have converted

the file, if appropriate, to .mp3 or .wav. The .wav seems to be the format preferred. It would appear that the conversion to

different formats can be done in iTunes.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1550

Please review the above and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
            BeeW Level 1

thank you

i am using elements 11 on windows 8

i have tried to convert the file as per your suggestion but it won't let me as it is protected. the audio format is AAC protected M4p

• 3. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If an audio-editing program, such as the free Audacity, cannot rip that music from iTunes, perhaps the "old fashioned way" will work for you.

In iTunes, one would create a Playlist, with the music they needed, then burn that Playlist to an Audio CD. That Audio CD (basically in CDA format), can then be ripped in Audacity, or similar, and converted with a Save_As to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, for Import into PrE. While this does require an extra step, it is a workaround, that usually works fine. I keep some CD-RW's around, just in case I need to do that Burn to CD. I also keep some DVD-RW's around, for testing my DVD-Video productions. That keeps me from having a bunch of "coasters" around.

The reason that ATR asked about the music's format is because with much later iTunes music, a direct Import will work - just not all.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                BeeW Level 1

hello

the error is @the importer reported a generic error'

when i select the file to import it shows .MTS, in the error message it shows .m4a

all a bit confusing.

i am using itunes 10

• 5. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                  BeeW Level 1

thank you,

I have tried Audacity but that didn't work either as protected files. very frustrating as iMovie never had this problem, I could use all music from iTunes. I will try the old fashioned way and hope that works.

• 6. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

BeeW

Thanks for the follow up.

On your computer hard drive, are you seeing .m4p or .m4a for this file?

Please check out the following online article on iTune music conversion to .wav (especially when DMR is involved).

http://www.aimersoft.com/itunes-drm/itunes-to-wav.html

But, going with your latest

the error is @the importer reported a generic error'

when i select the file to import it shows .MTS, in the error message it shows .m4a

all a bit confusing.

The first line of the above is consisted with having to convert the iTunes music to another format, preferred .wav (DMR or other reasons)

But there is something wrong with that second sentence. I have never seen iTunes music with an .mts file extension. Typically you see that with a video file with AVCHD compression (1080 variety). So, please take another look at the properties of the file that you are trying to import...video or audio? On the other hand, m4a is a MPEG 4 audio file.

Could you do a screenshot of the error message where you are seeing ".m4a" in it?

We will be watching for your follow up. Do not give up. We will figure this out.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                      BeeW Level 1

hi

I also managed to save a file as .wav but Elements doesn't even see this file when I add media.

• 9. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

BeeW

Thanks for the screenshot.

Your .wav conversion result was unexpected. Are you getting the same "Add Media Failure" message for the .wav file?

If not, what is happening when you say "....but Elements doesn;t even see this file when I add media."

What method did you use to get the .wav from the .mp4/.m4p?

More later.

ATR

• 10. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                          BeeW Level 1

Hi

I followed the instructions given by following your link to apple support to get the .wav file.

I then tried to get it into Elements by going to add media, opening my music library folder to find the .wav converted file, it was not showing in the folder een though I checked in iTunes that it was there. As there was no file to import there was no error message.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area.

I think I will try to put a CD in and transfer a couple of new tracks to see if I get anything different. This is a new laptop and I transferred my music tracks from a removable hard drive, so maybe something has gone awry here, or maybe that isn't the way to do it.

• 11. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                            BeeW Level 1

Hi

imported a couple of new tracks into itunes in .wav and mp3 just to try all options, still no good unfortunately. I am really stumped, is it itunes or elements?

• 12. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

BeeW

Did you try the CD method as mentioned by Hunt? Has that also failed to get this the problem?

This is what I would like you to do.

First

Premiere Elements 11 Windows

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Elements Organizer 11.0

Music

and in the Music Folder are 13 .mp3 music files that come with the program. Can you get any one of

them (as is) imported into your Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit.

Depending on how that goes

Second

Go to Music Tab in the Expert workspace, select Use SmartSound. Select one of the free SmartSound soundtracks, click Send. Do you get that soundtrack placed on your Expert workspace Timeline at the placement of the Timeline Indicator?

Let us determine if this problem is specific to the iTunes music or beyond that.

Thanks for the continuing follow up.

ATR

• 13. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                                nealeh Level 5

BeeW wrote:

imported a couple of new tracks into itunes in .wav and mp3 just to try all options, still no good unfortunately. I am really stumped, is it itunes or elements?

Are you saying here that iTunes itself is not playing your.wav / .mp3 files? If so then I suggest reinstalling iTunes as it may be that some audio codecs have got messed up.

If iTunes is OK and the problem is just Elements then here's a tutorial on using iTunes to convert files. The example given converts to .mp3 but if you look at one of the earlier screenshots you can choose the .wav encoder:

https://answers.uchicago.edu/page.php?id=27852

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale
                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 14. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

Are you getting a warning message when you try to open the link that you posted in post 13?

In view of all the conversions that BeeW has tried, it will be intersting to see how BeeW does with the .mp3 sample files that come with Premiere Elements.

ATR

• 15. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                                    nealeh Level 5

A.T. Romano wrote:

Are you getting a warning message when you try to open the link that you posted in post 13?

Yes. Provided you feel you can trust the University of Chicago just follow the prompts to add it as an exception and it will add a certificate for you so that you don't see the warning again.

1.jpg

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale
                                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 16. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                                      BeeW Level 1

Hi AT

sorry for delay in getting back to you. I have now decided to delete all my iTunes files and rip my CD's using Windows Media player (mp3), I tried this last night and it worked!!!

so any music I have purchased from iTunes I will burn to CD and rip as above.

Thank you for all of your replies, having tried pretty much everything I think I will give up with iTunes

• 17. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                                        BeeW Level 1

Hi Neale

as per my reply to AT I have given up with iTunes and have found a way with Windows Media Player.

Thank you for your help.

Bee

• 18. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

BeeW

Thanks for the update.

Glad you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects. Good job.

If you ever do decide to revisit the iTunes situation, we would look forward to any further developments.

Thanks for the opportunity to help.

ATR

• 19. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

Now, remember that MP3 will compress your Audio, loosing some of the data. This is mostly heard in the bass and treble frequencies, though the midrange frequencies will still be pretty good. That compression is what I avoid, by using a program, such as Audacity (I happen to have, so use, Adobe Audition for the task of ripping the CDA (CD-Audio) disc, and then Save_As PCM/WAV (Uncompressed) @ 48KHz 16-bit, as outlined above in Reply # 3. When you have an opportunity, you might want to experiment with that workflow, and compare the results to the MP3. Some cannot hear the difference with the MP3 compression, but many can. Depending on the music, it might not be noticed.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 20. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                                              Nevervana Level 1

Its ridiculous that getting a sound file onto a video is this difficult. 

I bought my song from iTunes.  Period.  I should be able to drag and drop it onto my video timeline.  

PERIOD.

• 21. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Nevervana

No quite. PERIOD.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running. That information is for when I need to get into version and computer specifics.

Here is the generalized and as specific as possible answer for now....

Convert your iTunes music into a .wav file, using iTunes.

1. Open iTunes. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General Preferences dialog

2. In the General Preferences dialog, click on the Import Settings tab to open to the Import Settings Dialog.

3. In the Import Settings Dialog, set the "Import Using:" to WAV Encoder

4. OK your way out of there.

5. Under Music/Songs....File Menu/Add File to Library...browse to and select your iTunes music to be converted.

6. When in the list of Music/Songs, right click the iTunes file and select Create WAV Version.

7. Then right click the iTunes WAV just created and select Copy, followed by pasting it to the computer desktop.

8. From the computer desktop, import your iTune.wav into your Premiere Elements project.

Have you been there and done that?

Please let us know if you need clarification on any of the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 22. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                                                  Nevervana Level 1

Just because you've gotten used to jumping through nonstop hoops and 75 steps to manually reconstruct each and every audio file, doesn't mean that's how it should be for any rational human being.  Im new to this scene and yes - its absurd - PERIOD.

• 23. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Nevervana

You wrote

Just because you've gotten used to jumping through nonstop hoops and 75 steps to manually reconstruct each and every audio file, doesn't mean that's how it should be for any rational human being.

I take offense to your reply when I sought to help you with the what is. I am not Adobe. Nor am I affiliated with it in any way. I have no promotional interests in Adobe.

You have come to the wrong place if you came to complain about the what is. This is not Adobe. This is a User to User Forum. If the what is is so upsetting to you, then best find another software. If you have made the purchase from Adobe already, you can investigate a within 30 days of purchase money back.

Please contact Adobe via its Adobe Chat or through its Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form which is probably not going to give you the immediate reply regarding the two Adobe features that you find "absurd" , each tacked onto a different thread of another tonight

a. Adobe watermark

b. Getting iTunes music into Premiere Elements projects

Are there more? If so, please contact Adobe.

ATR

• 24. Re: I don't understand how to get audio from itunes into my project
                                                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Tell Apple to remove DRM (Digital Rights Management... ie copy protection) from their music

UN-protected music from other sources does not require the extra steps... the problem is iTunes, not Adobe