5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2018 3:36 PM by tstmmr

brush presets / tool presets - confusion

project_c

I'm by no means a beginner (I think this I'm in my 15th year using Photoshop..), but something that's always bugged me is the difference between brush presets and tool presets. It's never been much of an issue in the past, but I'm spending an increasing amount of my workflow drawing digitally using various brushes, and I'm finding these two different ways to save and import brushes quite confusing. If I've altered a brush, and want to save it, what are the advantages / disatvantages of saving it as a tool preset, or as a brush?

I have my favourite pencils saved as tool presets, which works fine, but I don't see what the brush presets do that is different from this. Is there a 'right way' to organise / save brushes? What's actually the difference between the 2 things? Are they totally interchangeable?

• 1. Re: brush presets / tool presets - confusion
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Brush Presets (as represented in the Brush Presets Panel) are available for all painting Tools (Brush, Clone Stamp Tool, Eraser, …).

Tool Presets store Tool specific settings, so for the Brush Tool that would include Blend Mode, Opacity, Flow, …

• 2. Re: brush presets / tool presets - confusion
            project_c Level 1

Thanks for your reply. The brushes I use are all currently saved under Tool Presets, not in Brushes - I routinely save brushes there and open them from there - I never really use the Brushes palette at all. So going by what you said, that means the Tool Presets store tool specific settings (flow, opacity etc), as well as the brushes themselves. Is that correct?

• 3. Re: brush presets / tool presets - confusion
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

So going by what you said, that means the Tool Presets store tool specific settings (flow, opacity etc), as well as the brushes themselves. Is that correct?

Brush Presets (see Brush Preset Panel, not just the Brush Panel) can be used by all painting Tools. Tool Presets refer to a specific Tool but can indeed hold a Brush tip that has been removed from the Brush Presets.

• 4. Re: brush presets / tool presets - confusion
                PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello!

The tool presets also record the settings of the option bar,the brush panel, and the brush tip shape.

The Brush presets will record all the settings in the brush panel, and the brush tip shape.

The brush tip preset only records the shape of the tip.

• 5. Re: brush presets / tool presets - confusion
                  tstmmr

All of the previous answers here are dated Oct of 2013. The following text is in a pop-up window when trying to import tool presets into the tool presets panel in version 19.1 CC 2018.

Import compatible tool presets as brush presets?

We recommend importing compatible tool presets as brush presets. Brush presets now contain all the functionality of tool presets, but with additional benefits such as stroke previews and the ability to organize into folders.