8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2013 8:58 AM by A.T. Romano

Override image size

Chuck Probst Level 1

The on line guidelines under importing individual images states that the import image size can be overridden, but does not explain how.

• 1. Re: Override image size
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Chuck Probst

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What are these "online guidelines"? Are you referring to Help PDF for a particular version of Premiere Elements? What page?

I suspect that you might be referring to the option "Default Scale to Frame Size" but that is only a way out guess based on your details so far.

Looking forward to clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Override image size
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Depending on what you are going to do with the pictures, it is better to resize

Pictures that are "overly" large may cause video editing problems

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-HiRes Pictures to DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1187937?tstart=0

-PrEl Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

• 3. Re: Override image size
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Chuck Probst

I think that I am correct interpreting your question as one related to the "Default Scale to Frame Size" feature of Premiere Elements.

Found this in one of the Adobe documents on Adding Media....

Guidelines to add image files

By default, Premiere Elements scales images to fit the project frame size. You can override this behavior and instead add your files at the size at which they were created.

When you or the project sets the project preset, the project settings are established with frame size et al for the select project preset.

The project preset is selected on a match between it and the source media to be imported into the project. The project preset directs the program to set up the correct space in the Editing Mode monitor in accord with this project preset.

In Edit Menu/Preferences/General, there is an option "Default Scale to Frame Size", typically set as the default. So, if that is the case, the source media that you import will be scaled automatically (as per the preference) to the frame size of the project preset. If you do not want that, then you remove the check mark next to "Default Scale to Frame Size" in preferences.

If you have imported your video with the "Default Scale to Frame Size" with check mark, you have the opportunities at the Timeline level to right click the video and, from the pop up menu, remove the check mark next to "Scale to Frame Size".

Please review the above and then let us know if you are OK with the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Override image size
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Chuck Probst

Just a quick add on...

If you have not gotten to this already....you can scale your imported images manually via Motion Panel expanded and its Scale property (width and height OR width or height depending on your associated setting there.)

Depending on your Premiere Elements version...selected clip, Properties Palette/Motion Panel expanded OR selected clip, Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded...

Lots of exploration and experimenting to do.

ATR

• 5. Re: Override image size
                  Chuck Probst Level 1

Thank you for the replies.  First, it's PE 10 and Windows 7.  Some very good reading at those links.  The guidelines referred to is the one I found in help for PE 10.  What I don't understand is that it says PE scales images to fit the project frame size, but a bunch of mine do not import because dimensions are too large.  If it suposedly scales to fit, why doesn't it scale to fit, but instead I get that message?  I tried to import by unchecking the Default scale to frame size, and had the same resuIt.   I pretty much follow the workflow in the linked thread, although I use Lightroom and PS6, and I save as TIFF instead of PSD, but I convert to JPEG to go to create a slideshow.  I am trying end my use of PSE and PE because every time you turn around there's a new version. (Why doesn't Adobe give its customers a break occasional and give us an update instead of forcing an upgrade!!!)  But the slideshow option in Lightroom is just too basic.  So that is why I go back to PE 10 to create my slide show.  From the readings, it sounds like I should reduce the dimensions in PS before I go to PE 10.

• 6. Re: Override image size
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Chuck Probst

What are the dimensions that you refer to when you write

but a bunch of mine do not import because dimensions are too large

Also, please consider Default Scale to Frame Size is a scaling operation for the video; whereas, the Edit Mode monitor Magnification is a set specific to the magnification of the image seen in the monitor.

Example...if you have 720 x 480 footage and Premiere Elements DV Standard project preset, the program will be directed to set up a space in the monitor for a 720 x 480 source. And, with the Default Scale to Frame Size selected, the program will do just that to the best of its ability. If source 720 x 480, then it has nothing to done. If other, then it has to scale the source as best it can to fill that space in the monitor.

If you right click the monitor and select Magnification, the default is "Fit". This set is for magnification in the monitor view. You want "Fit".

Let me give you an example...in the above example, if you have the settings stated, but up the Magnification to 200% and then export, you do not get the 200% image. If you scaled you image to 200%, you would have. In this scenario, your export will relate to the "Fit" image that you see in the monitor prior to export. The exact export will be dependant on your choice of export settings.

Please let us know if that explanation works for you. Give it a work out to explore its validity.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...we will discuss setting up for a Photoshop Elements - Premiere Elements slideshow next if you want.

• 7. Re: Override image size
                      Chuck Probst Level 1

We are moving on.  I resized to HD (1920 x 1080) and saved as PSD and all imported nicely.  Now the next step is to import video clips and your discussions will be very helpful.  Incidentally, the images that did not import were JPEG's sized 5616 x 3754, pretty large, understandable why they didn't import.  THx

• 8. Re: Override image size
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Chuck Probst

Thanks for the follow up. Glad to learn that you are moving forward with your projects. Great news.

But, just in case note about your 5616 x 3754 pixels jpgs and their failure to import into your Premiere Elements 10.

Versions earlier than 10, like version 8.0/8.0.1 would not let the user go beyond a certain total number of pixels for the import. The user would be greeted by a too large error message. But, in version 10, the user does not get this message to block the import.

In fact, I can import several 5616 x 3754 pixel jpgs into Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit without issue. But, do I want to? No. Much goes to total system resources. And, true, we are both working with Premiere Elements 10 as a 64 bit application if the program is on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit. If you are not and your Windows 7 is 32 bit, then your Premiere Elements is a 32 bit application with all the limitations of a 32 bit system.

Success with your projects.

ATR