19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2013 5:54 PM by A.T. Romano

Playback Not Working PE10

HatBat Level 1

Hello,

I have Premiere Elements 10 and when I press the play button I can hear correct audio, however

the visuals are stuck on the frame that I paused it on and I have to movie the footage around inside the playback area for the frame to update and still get's stuck the next time I press play. I know this is the software's fault because the format of the footage (AVI) was fine for Windows Media Player and Premiere Pro CS6. Adding to that: the format of my footage has worked fine the software in the past and only in the past few days, has it started doing this. Please help ASAP as I have a youtube channel and I need to release videos on schedule.

Relavent Specs:

• ST1000DM003-1CH162 ATA Device - 1 TB
      • 6 GB RAM
      • Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 bit

Example:

• 1. Re: Playback Not Working PE10
          A.T. Romano Level 7

HatBat

Render that Timeline by pressing the Enter key of the computer main keyboard and let us know the outcome.

I know you said this is a "it worked before but now" issue, but I need to know that I am looking at a rendered Timeline when dealing with matters such as these.

Also, what type of .avi are we looking at on that Timeline? AVI is just the wrapper format for the video and audio compression. What is the video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate...in short, the properties of your source media? What is your project preset?

I do not want to take anything for granted.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Playback Not Working PE10
            HatBat Level 1

Wow

That was a quick reply. Anway: I've tried rendering the footage in the timeline and I'm afraid it hasn't done anything.

As for the video specs: I'm not sure of the exact type of AVI, apart from it's the type that Fraps uses.

It's at 40fps and a resolution of 1360 x 768.

Or as Adobe puts it:

Video Specs.png

• 3. Re: Playback Not Working PE10
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>not sure of the exact type of AVI, apart from it's the type that Fraps uses

Some previous discussions that may help...

Fraps & Elements http://forums.adobe.com/thread/967201

-and Elements preset http://forums.adobe.com/thread/943772

-and more Elements http://forums.adobe.com/thread/871095

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Playback Not Working PE10
                A.T. Romano Level 7

HatBat

What did you set as the project preset for what would be atypical video for Premiere Elements 10 project presets - atypical in 1360 x 768 @ 40 frames per second?

That 1360 x 768 looks like you probably would have gone for one of the 16:9 project presets?

The Fraps download should address the integrity of the video codec (Fraps' FPS1) in that .avi wrapper. The video seems uncompromised in the Edit Mode monitor, except you do not have any motion. Any changes in your computer environment that occurred as the same time as the onset of the issue....anything that could possibly conflict with the Fraps program?

Generalized questions:

1. If you right click the Edit Mode monitor and select Playback Settings, does it look like:

Playback Settings.JPG

2. If you right click the Edit Mode monitor and select Playback Quality, does it make a different in the issue whether the set is Automatic or Highest?

3. The generalized fix for unexplained happenings is deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. In Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, the path is

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Pref file that you delete. Make sure you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

4. If you took that Timeline as is and exported it, does the export playback reflect the issue in the Edit Mode monitor playback?

5. And, the usual drill, is your video card drive up to date according to the manufacturer of the video card? Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed? Are you running the program Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

As I said before, just do not want to take anything for granted.

More later.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 5. Re: Playback Not Working PE10
                  HatBat Level 1

I had my project set to (The one PE reccomends for me) DSLR-1080p-30fps. I've tried other presets but they don't seem to make a difference, however I did find one that was the wrong size but otherwise fixed my problem. Is their a way to make custom presets in PE10.

1. Yes

2. No

3. No

4. No

5. Yes

• 6. Re: Playback Not Working PE10
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

HatBat

The program does not lend itself to User custom project presets in all respects. Here is some work I have done in this area which does not approach a 1360 x 768 @ 40 frames per second.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-exporting-1080p50-or-1080p60-file.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe11-exporting-1080p25-or-1080p30-file.html

Do you know for a fact whether that is interlaced or progressive footage? But, I will think about it based on....

What was your choice for project preset that worked for you when you ignored the program's choice of 1080p30?

More later.

ATR

• 7. Re: Playback Not Working PE10
                      HatBat Level 1

I don't know much about the difference between interlaced and progressive footage but I do know that the preset that worked for me (but was the wrong size) was "D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121)" @ 29.97 fps. By the way: there's an odd watery effect on the image in that preset, whatever the playback quality, however this doesn't show up after the project is exported.

I've also been wondering (if it's possible) if reinstalling the software would make any difference.

• 8. Re: Playback Not Working PE10
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

HatBat

Based on someone else work with Fraps, Fraps video is progressive.

The difference in concept of interlaced and progressive video can be found in the following link

http://www.neuron2.net/LVG/interlacing.html

So, basically what you found was for your Fraps.avi 1360 x 768 @ 40 frames per second.

a. Preview problems when using the program's 1080p30 set (1910 x 1080 16:9 @ 30 progressive frames per second).

b. No preview problems when using the NTSC DV Widescreen project preset which is 720 x 480 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second (with 16:9 flag for stretching the video for display after encoding).

You say that b exported OK. What about a in spite of the preview issue? Did we determine that?

What are you using for the export settings in view of the properties of the original?

Right now just some guess work...the HD preview files are MPEG2.mpeg and the SD preview files are DV AVI. Just wondering if there is a problem creating preview files going from your source media??? Really would like to confirm what the export looked like from the 1080p30 project.

More later.

Thanks for following up on the troubleshooting. Good work on finding something that worked for you, but I am uneasy not knowing the whys at this point.

ATR

• 9. Re: Playback Not Working PE10
                          HatBat Level 1

The export was fine for the preset that has the preview problems (I use AVCHD MP4 - H264 1920X1080p @ 30 Progressive Frames; my personally preffered render preset). However when I use the "NTSC DV Widescreen project preset which is 720 x 480 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second (with 16:9 flag for stretching the video for display after encoding)" preset I get a strange watery effect in the preview and my footage is the wrong size for the preset (black lines down the left and right side of the frame). However when I export (in all render presets) the water effect disappears (the black lines are still there). In spite of this I find it a gruelling task to edit when I can't see the details in the frame and the picture a distorted.

Example of Widescreen Render

Example of Render with Glitched Project Preset

• 10. Re: Playback Not Working PE10
                            HatBat Level 1

Hey, ATR: you still here? lol

• 11. Re: Playback Not Working PE10
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

HatBat

I lost track of your thread. What is happening?

Sounds like the problem persists. If so, please confirm, and I will take another look at this.

Thanks for posting.

ATR

• 12. Re: Playback Not Working PE10
                                HatBat Level 1

Yep, Problems still there.

Overall:

• No preview problems when using the NTSC DV Widescreen project preset (wrong size and low quality).
                                • Preview Problems when using any other preset apart from NTSC DV Strandard project preset (wrong size and low quality).

• 13. Re: Playback Not Working PE10
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

HatBat

It may be a stretch, but lately the mention of Premiere Elements 10 and playback issues of "any kind" bring to mind the recent wave of Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card driver problems which require a roll back of the driver instead of search for the "latest version" of the driver.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1316456?tstart=0

Any chance that applies to you also?

Please let us know.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Playback Not Working PE10
                                    HatBat Level 1

I actually updated my nvidia drivers recently, in order to play the battlefield 4 open beta, so I have high hopes for this

• 15. Re: Playback Not Working PE10
                                      HatBat Level 1

ATR

I found that downgrading the drivers to GeForce 320.49 worked like a charm. Unfortunatly this means I won't be playing battlefield 4 but I can't wait till' either Nvidia or ( less likely to care) Adobe, sort this out.

Thanks so much for your help over the past few days, couldn't be more grateful.

Thanks,

HatBat

• 16. Re: Playback Not Working PE10
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

HatBat,

nVidia normally releases new video drivers (so long as the card/chip and the OS version are still supported) about every month.

Historically, when there were issues, they were addressed in the next version of the video driver, though about 4 years ago, there were two in a row, that had issues with many Adobe programs. The "fix" was simple, even for those, but by the time that Adobe users discovered it, a new (third) driver was released, and it included the fix.

There appears to be something in the latest nVidia video driver, that does not play well with PrE 10. The issues seem to be specific to that older version of PrE, as it does not seem to be affecting earlier, or later versions of PrE - at least so far.

Though nVidia has always been good, and fairly quick, in addressing such compatibility issues, I worry that the user-base with PrE 10 might be too small, for them to even notice. I would contact nVidia, to let them know that there IS an issue in PrE 10. Over the years, nVidia has done a lot of direct development work with Adobe, but much of that collaboration has been for the CUDA support for Adobe's Mercury Playback Engine (MPE), which is used in PrPro, as of CS 5. I do not know how closely they work with the PrE development team.

One additional thought on this is that PrE 10 is a two year old program, so even Adobe's direct support of it, will be very limited, given that PrE is now up to version 12. Not sure that either Adobe, or nVidia, will be that motivated to solve the compatibility issue with PrE 10.

So far, I have not read of what the exact compatibility issue with the nVidia driver is (latest) and PrE 10 (only, so far as we can tell). ATR has done a great job at tracking down nVidia cards (affected by the latest nVidia driver), and publishing a list - that list might well grow, as data comes in to the forum. However, what is unique to PrE 10 remains unknown. I would love to see a response from a member of the Adobe PrE development team, who could shed some light on what is different in PrE 10, that does not seem to be in earlier, or later versions of the program - so far, nothing.

The best, that a user might be able to get, is checking the nVidia Web site, and experimenting with the new drivers, when released, including the newest beta release. In that download, install and test scheme, I would be ready to roll-back from the latest driver, just in case it does NOT fix the issue, or perhaps introduces a new problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - going back to the time that the two, consecutive versions of the nVidia driver problems, those users, who had both Adobe programs (suffering from the problem), and were extreme gamers, the "fix" happened to be to turn OFF two 3D display modules for work with Adobe programs, and then turn them ON, when doing the gaming. This was easily accomplished from the nVidia console. It was those two modules, that caused the problem. One just had to toggle them ON/OFF, depending on what they were doing. Heck, I recall gaming in the "good old days," where one had separate boot disks for almost each game, to set up the computer to most effectively run them. Luckily, those days are behind up, but every now and then, one might have to make some changes, depending on the programs about to be run.

• 17. Re: Playback Not Working PE10
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

HatBat

Great news.

I started a new thread here with a summary (trying to capture all reports) of the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card driver problems that have been reported here very recently.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675?tstart=0

I have included you in the list. Did you ever say what specific NVIDIA video card you have? That would be good to include in the information summary in the thread cited above.

Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance in this matter.

Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting.

ATR

• 18. Re: Playback Not Working PE10
                                            HatBat Level 1

I have a Nvidia GT 640.

Once again: Thanks

• 19. Re: Playback Not Working PE10
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

HatBat

Thanks.

I just entered your NVIDIA GTX 640 video card name to my NVIDIA video card driver list in the link cited in post 17.

Appreciated the follow up with that information. Let us hope we get some corrective action soon on this issue from NVIDIA.

ATR