9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2013 12:27 PM by A.T. Romano

Transitions - how to insert

IrvSil

I am creating a new project to share as a movie DVD.  It will include both photo still images and videoclips.  I cannot find instructions in Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Classroom in a Book that describe the steps on how to insert the default transitions between all of the images and the videoclips.  Page 192 et seq describes steps to use for inserting transitions between videoclips, but it does not seems to apply to the still images.  Can anyone advise? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Transitions - how to insert
          A.T. Romano Level 7

IrvSil

Have you done a Edit Menu/Select All, followed by Timeline Menu/Apply Default Transition?

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On....if that does not work for your, please supply additional details of your situation.

• 2. Re: Transitions - how to insert
            IrvSil Level 1

Yes, sir. I had tried that last night several times and it didn't work.  Just now, I reopened the program, loaded the "recent project", and tried again.  This time, the "Select All" option was greyed out (as were most of the other options under Edit).  I tried several times,and, finally, the "Select All" option appeared active (along with most of the others). I then went to the Timeline menu and clicked on "Apply Default Transition" and nothing happened.  I had previously selected the Cross Dissolve transition to be the default transition, with the video transition default duration set to 5 frames.

Additional details as requested:  I am beginning this project with 76 jpeg images which have been added as media and loaded on the Video 1 timeline track.  I have been able to insert transitions between the first few images manually without any problem and they project correctly on the preview monitor.  I just can't figure out how to apply the same transition to all of the remaining images without doing each one individually.  There must be a way that I'm overlooking.  I've been doing these DVD movies for eight years and have used a variety of other DVD authoring programs, most recently Cyberlink PowerDirector 10, and they all have had an option to apply the transitions to all the images and videos.

• 3. Re: Transitions - how to insert
              A.T. Romano Level 7

IrvSil

Please excuse if I am going to go over any details that you are aware of but I want you to move forward with your project and do not want to take anything for granted. What you want to do is a very doable feature in the Expert and Quick workspaces of Premiere Elements 11.

Do you have this issue whether you are opening a new project as well as an existing project? Would you class this issue as "it never worked before" or "it worked before but not now"?

What are the pixel dimensions of those 76 jpeg images? And, what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on?

What have you selected as the project preset for this project?

Let us take a look at the results from the above. Depending on your reply, I may be recommending deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and then, if not successful with that, complete and clean deactivation, uninstall, reinstall.

Looking forward to your continuing follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Transitions - how to insert
                IrvSil Level 1

Thanks, again, for your time and trouble.  Here are the answers to your questions:

1. This problem occured when I started the new project, as well as when I opened it as an existing project.

2. I classify it as: It never worked before. By the way, this is the first project I have done on PE 11; I'm a "newbie" to this application, although I have used

Adobe Photoshop for many years.

3  While there is some variation depending on the amount of cropping done, a typical image had been resized from its original taken with my Canon G12

at 21.4M; 20.267 inches x 11.378 inches; 3648 px x 2048 px; 1.29 MB; 180 px/inch resolution, to:

1.61M; 10.0 inches x 5.614 inches;  1000 px x 561 px;  154 KB; 100 px/inch resolution.

The 76 images ranged from 55 to 454 KB with an average about 220 KB.

4.  I'm running on Windows 7 Home Premium full version 64 bit.

5.  I did not choose the project preset since this was a new project.  The program selected: HD 1080i; timebase 29.97 f/s; Video frame size 1920 x 1080

• 5. Re: Transitions - how to insert
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

IrvSil

Just a quick test for the moment.

Are these jpg or raw images? I am assuming jpg for now.

Take 4 of these jpg images (straight from the camera, assumed 3648 x 2048 pixels) and import them into a new Premiere Elements 11 project (Windows 7 64 bit) at whatever the program sets as the default project preset (presumed 1080i).

Can you Select All and the use Timeline Menu/Apply Default Transitions?

Please let us know the results. Also, please check at the web site of the manufacturer of your video card that the video card driver is up to date.

Again, the typical drill...do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer? Are you running Premiere Elements 11 as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Transitions - how to insert
                    IrvSil Level 1

1. These are, indeed, *.jpg images.

2. I did as you instructed: took four of the original, unedited, unresized .jpg images and imported them into a new PE 11 project.  The program set the project default preset as:  NTSC-AVCHD-Full HD 1080i 30.  I could "Select All" and used the Timeline Menu to Apply Default Transitions.  It did; however, the transitions were inserted at such a low time duration that they were barely perceptible.  I re-checked to be sure I had selected the Cross Dissolve transition as the default, and had set the duration in Preferences as 5 frames (1/6th second) as instructed on page 191 of the book.  Since this seemed too short, I changed it to 30 frames (one second), but it did not change the playback duration.  I was, however, able to set the transitions manually/individually to one second on each of the first two images.

3.  I checked my video card driver which is up to date: Integrated Intel HD 2000 1 GB; and my QuickTime version is 7.7.4, which appears to be the latest.

4.  I am running PE 11 from my User Account with Administative Privileges.

Thanks, again.

Irv

• 7. Re: Transitions - how to insert
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

IrvSil

I think that I have the key to all this. And, I believe that to be "setting the duration of the transition so low that it is not being seen. Premiere Elements default "Video Transitions Default Duration" is 30 frames. In a NTSC system that is working off 30 frames per second, those 30 frames = 1 second duration for the transition.

Please open a new Premiere Elements project

Immediately go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General, and make sure that "Video Transitions Default Duration" is set to 30 frames.

Then go back to the Expert workspace, only then used Add Media/Files and Folders to import those 4 jpg photos. And, after they arrive on the Expert workspace Timeline,

a. Select All

and then

b. Timeline Menu/Apply Default Transition

We will decide what next after those results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Transitions - how to insert
                        IrvSil Level 1

That did it! Thanks, ATR.  Apparently, the problem was that I had added the media prior to setting the preferences.  When I followed your suggestion, opened a new project, and set the Transition settings before adding the media, I was able to insert the Transitions between all of the images at the correct duration.  It figured to have to be a simple matter and you nailed it.  I thought perhaps I had missed something in the book, so I went back and carefully re-read all of the sections pertaining to Transitions.  It wasn't there.  It would have been helpful if the author had included a simple statement such as "Be sure to enter all of your preferences prior to adding any media to the timeline track."  Oh, well; all's well that ends well. Now, on to the titles and menus.  Many thanks. 

Irv

• 9. Re: Transitions - how to insert
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Irv

Thanks for that great news. That "set before" and "then import the media" has caught more than one user.

Looking forward to the opportunity to be of assistance with those titles in your other thread.

ATR