9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2013 9:26 AM by Wermount2323

Troubles with tabs

Wermount2323 Level 1

http://i.imgur.com/KKG6994.png

Does anybody can help me? Is any chance to get ALL 3 tabulators ang move them to another point?

I try to select 3 of them but I can't do that. Or I try hold CTRL/SHIFT and select them but it doesn't work at all.

How Can I select 3 tabs to move all of them in the same milimeters to ther right?

• 1. Re: Troubles with tabs
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't believe there is any way of selecting multiple tab stops at the same time.

However, you might try this:

When you select one tab stop, the current location appears in the X field. You can place "+ n" after the current position, which is the number of mm. you want to move that tab, then press Return/Enter. Repeat for each of the tabs. That way, they will all move exactly the same amount.

TabSettings.jpg

• 2. Re: Troubles with tabs
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you using a paragraph style? You would still need to set them one at a time, but at least it would cary over to all paragraphs using that style.

• 3. Re: Troubles with tabs
              Wermount2323 Level 1

Steve... But this doesn't help at all. When I type "+5mm" for example it stills moves only 1 tab, not 3 of them.

http://i.imgur.com/kcEbrpU.png

So.... In this method I only can REPEAT that "+ 5mm" to every one tabs. Don't you?

• 4. Re: Troubles with tabs
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, that's what I did. I typed +n for each tab. But I think it's the only way to do it.

Once you've done it once, it can be included in a paragraph style so you don't have to do it again, as Peter pointed out.

• 5. Re: Troubles with tabs
                  Wermount2323 Level 1

Yes but in my case my tabs are very complicated. I have to do something excatly like that:

http://i.imgur.com/vquk9Eh.png

• 6. Re: Troubles with tabs
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Wouldn't a table be easier?

• 7. Re: Troubles with tabs
                      Wermount2323 Level 1

Table with transparency table lines or in white colour?

• 8. Re: Troubles with tabs
                        Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What exactly do you mean by "transparency table lines"?

If you want no borders around the table cells you could define the stroke weight for the whole table to "0".

For your empty column you'll need an extra tab:

1. Insert an extra tab to get an empty column between "F" and "N"

2. Then convert text to table

3. Now all table columns are even. Change the column width of all columns to the width of the needed width for your text columns. Change the width of the empty column(s) to three times of that width, format the text of your columns.

4. Set the stroke weight of the whole table to "0"

Planning ahead and using a destinct table style and individual cell styles could be an advantage ;-)

TextToTable_NoStrokes.png

To get the column width right you need some calculations.

An empty column is three times the width of an individual column of regular text.

To get the extra tab you could use a GREP search/replace on your text before converting the text to table:

The round dot in the search represents your round dot in your example.

I cannot tell, but maybe it's a different character. Just change it by copy/paste to the GREP search field.

GREP Search:

(\t)(.\t•\t.)

GREP Change:

\t\t$2

Uwe

• 9. Re: Troubles with tabs
                          Wermount2323 Level 1

Hey, that was very smart. Use a TABLE instead of TABS.

Thakn you foru your great examples of this! Reallly, thanks!

But MOST IMPORTANT was that function: "Then convert text to table"

We can convert text with tabs to table!